AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why we don't have one because the owners tread just too big & really need to be split into setting tread also. We had this with other JVC models(Rant over)...But my question is,just got my NX5 & i have it paired with Panasonic UB820 can someone direct to me where to start with setting, been reading this owners tread for hour can't seem to find it.

Reactions: Arbiter

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not sure why we don't have one because the owners tread just too big & really need to be split into setting tread also. We had this with other JVC models(Rant over)...But my question is,just got my NX5 & i have it paired with Panasonic UB820 can someone direct to me where to start with setting, been reading this owners tread for hour can't seem to find it.
Just got my RS1000 yesterday, and I also am looking for some settings advice. I read through the owners a whole bunch trying to decide to buy or not. Now, i dont have the patience to go through it again to look for some good tips. Hoping some stuff lands in this thread

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got my RS1000 yesterday, and I also am looking for some settings advice. I read through the owners a whole bunch trying to decide to buy or not. Now, i dont have the patience to go through it again to look for some good tips. Hoping some stuff lands in this thread

Its sad that owner's tread has gotten so far off topic it's ridiculous. Asking for help has gotten drowned out. I inbox a friend of mines that close hopeful he will give me a starting point. I will let you know asap when i hear back from him.

Reactions: smitty

·
Registered
657 Posts
The NX5 works great out of the box with default settings so even scouring the owner's thread you're not going to find much beyond that. If you have a small or high-gain screen you may want to close the iris some for SDR. You may also want to adjust the Brightness setting to -2 or -3 if your black level is too high (common on these).

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The NX5 works great out of the box with default settings so even scouring the owner's thread you're not going to find much beyond that. If you have a small or high-gain screen you may want to close the iris some for SDR. You may also want to adjust the Brightness setting to -2 or -3 if your black level is too high (common on these).
What do i need to set on the JVC if i want it to handle all the tone mapping ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
What do i need to set on the JVC if i want it to handle all the tone mapping ?
Tone mapping is automatically enabled for any HDR source with metadata. You may want to adjust the "Mapping Level" slider if the overall image is too dim when watching HDR.

When the HDR source does not contain metadata then you'll have to experiment with the manual gamma controls to get best results. The manual contains a reasonable description of these.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tone mapping is automatically enabled for any HDR source with metadata. You may want to adjust the "Mapping Level" slider if the overall image is too dim when watching HDR.

When the HDR source does not contain metadata the automatic tone mapping then you'll have to experiment with the manual gamma controls to get best results. The manual contains a reasonable description of these.
Okay that's been my issue the picture was too dim, Plus picture looked kinda washed out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Are there any other settings? Right now I haven't really touched any of the settings, but I want to make sure it is where it all should be for the best picture.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are there any other settings? Right now I haven't really touched any of the settings, but I want to make sure it is where it all should be for the best picture.
I’ve been messing with my NX5 for the last couple weeks and I think I finally got my settings to where I like.

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode
Iris: -1
MPC: Hi Res Enhance 3
Contrast: 3
Brightness: 1
Color: 4
Gamma: HDR

For SDR:
Low lamp mode
Iris: -3
MPC: Hi Res Enhance 1
Brightness: 3
Gamma: 2.3

My blacks are slightly elevated but I like my picture to have some pop so I’ll take a brighter image with a little less black.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I’ve been messing with my NX5 for the last couple weeks and I think I finally got my settings to where I like.

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

My blacks are slightly elevated but I like my picture to have some pop so I’ll take a brighter image with a little less black.

Nice, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So I assume when the projector detects HDR, it will automatically go to those settings once I input them, then everything else will be SDR? Did you select a specific picture mode like User 1 or cinema? Lastly, for the motion, CMD and Lag one, I have read to leave the lag one on, then everything else off.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

Nice, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So I assume when the projector detects HDR, it will automatically go to those settings once I input them, then everything else will be SDR? Did you select a specific picture mode like User 1 or cinema? Lastly, for the motion, CMD and Lag one, I have read to leave the lag one on, then everything else off.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.
No problem at all! For HDR I’m using the HDR mode and for regular Blu rays I’m using Cinema and then just adjusted from there.

The projector should automatically switch settings depending on the input signal. I’ve noticed a couple of times it didn’t though so it’s kind of a pain.

As far as motion goes I’m using low Latency on, clear motion drive off and motion enhance to low and it seems to be pretty clean.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
No problem at all! For HDR I’m using the HDR mode and for regular Blu rays I’m using Cinema and then just adjusted from there.

The projector should automatically switch settings depending on the input signal. I’ve noticed a couple of times it didn’t though so it’s kind of a pain.

As far as motion goes I’m using low Latency on, clear motion drive off and motion enhance to low and it seems to be pretty clean.

Thanks again. I will try those settings out then adjust then if need be.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Thanks again. I will try those settings out then adjust then if need be.
No problem at all. Let me know if you end up finding better settings from there. I would love to tweak them a little more. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
No problem at all. Let me know if you end up finding better settings from there. I would love to tweak them a little more. Thanks!
Will do. I will update this thread accordingly. Hopefully other owners can do the same thing.

·
Registered
657 Posts

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

If I understand what you're trying to do for "pop", you'd want to adjust brightness for the best black level and then use contrast to boost the luminance of brighter content. Brightness uniformly raises the luminance of all content but its most pronounced affect is on the darkest content. It'll noticeably raise your black floor and less significantly raise the brightness of all other content, effectively decreasing the contrast of the image. Contrast is a major factor in "pop" so that's not generally a desired outcome.

"Brightness" is better thought of as a black level adjustment than a brightness adjustment. The contrast setting on the other hand only affects brighter content and has no effect on black level. These projectors are fairy accurate out of the box so if you adjust contrast for your personal preferences keep in mind that you'll be getting a non-reference image as a result. If you ever have your projector calibrated the first thing they will do is to zero out the contrast.

You shouldn't need to trade contrast for brightness. The brightness and contrast settings are digital adjustments, not mechanical ones so it should be possible to get the best possible black level while still getting as much brightness as you desire for brighter content. The only settings where you have to sacrifice black level to get more brightness above black are high/low lamp and the manual iris setting.

https://poynton.ca/notes/brightness_and_contrast/index.html

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I noticed when I put in a 4K Blu-ray in my oppo 205 set to auto, I have had some discs not have the hdr brightness slider pop up. Does it depend on the metadata on the disc? Actually the only disc that the slider is available is oblivian.

Lucy, gotg 2, the Martian and Star Wars the last Jedi does not.

What are others seeing?

Thx. Bob

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I understand what you're trying to do for "pop", you'd want to adjust brightness for the best black level and then use contrast to boost the luminance of brighter content. Brightness uniformly raises the luminance of all content but its most pronounced affect is on the darkest content. It'll noticeably raise your black floor and less significantly raise the brightness of all other content, effectively decreasing the contrast of the image. Contrast is a major factor in "pop" so that's not generally a desired outcome.

"Brightness" is better thought of as a black level adjustment than a brightness adjustment. The contrast setting on the other hand only affects brighter content and has no effect on black level. These projectors are fairy accurate out of the box so if you adjust contrast for your personal preferences keep in mind that you'll be getting a non-reference image as a result. If you ever have your projector calibrated the first thing they will do is to zero out the contrast.

You shouldn't need to trade contrast for brightness. The brightness and contrast settings are digital adjustments, not mechanical ones so it should be possible to get the best possible black level while still getting as much brightness as you desire for brighter content. The only settings where you have to sacrifice black level to get more brightness above black are high/low lamp and the manual iris setting.

Good point, typically there should be no need to mess with the picture settings (brightness, contrast, hue, tint). But I have several people set brightness at -3 with the new JVCs, I am guessing to lower the black floor. I personally did not find it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
But I have several people set brightness at -3 with the new JVCs, I am guessing to lower the black floor. I personally did not find it made a huge difference.
I didn't find that it made much difference until I got to -5. After going back and forth a little bit using various "calibration" disks and looking at content, I ended up at -2. But I could easily live with it at 0, which is where I have everything else.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

Would you recommend a different setting then? I know if it also probably dependent on unit and room, but just to get an idea.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts