AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jvc x790r projector that will come on for about 2-3 minutes and then shut off. The warning and bulb lights will then blink three times simultaneously. The manual is saying it means abnormal circuit operation.

I heard a loud clap yesterday morning. I had just woken up from the thundering a little earlier. The clap must have been loud because it also woke my teenage son up.

What's leading me to believe it was the storm, is also my cable modem isn't working. The only other things besides that is, two of my directv boxes have power but aren't sending a signal to the TV. It's all strange. I had a surge years ago that took out nearly all the electronics in the house.

As far as protection on the projector, the whole house has a surge protector at the breaker panel, the circuit the theater room is on has a gfci with arc fault breaker, and all the theater equipment is on a expensive surgeX rack mount surge suppressor. Everything else in the theater room is working.

Does anyone know if that's repairable. I don't know how the insurance company will respond since technically everything is still powering on.

It can't be just a coincidence since all of it started acting up at once right after a storm.

I know I'm going to have to contact the insurance company, but what would be the best way to proceed with the projector?

I'd rather the insurance company replace than repair it. I've given them a small fortune and haven't ever had a claim with this company.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Surge protectors sometimes can't act fast enough to prevent damage. Since your cable modem also is not working it could be lightning damage. I would try the following.
1. Unplug your projector and cable modem for the power source and leave it off for about an hour.
2. When you plug them back in see if you still get the same error message.
3. Try a source directly into the projector like a DVD player close to the projector with a short cable.
4. If you still get the error message you will probably be covered by home owner insurance less the deductible.

Since everything else is working you may get lucky and it could have been a chip lockup issue. I have had this happen with an older JVC projector and several TV's. Doing the above fixed the issue.
Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surge protectors sometimes can't act fast enough to prevent damage. Since your cable modem also is not working it could be lightning damage. I would try the following.
1. Unplug your projector and cable modem for the power source and leave it off for about an hour.
2. When you plug them back in see if you still get the same error message.
3. Try a source directly into the projector like a DVD player close to the projector with a short cable.
4. If you still get the error message you will probably be covered by home owner insurance less the deductible.

Since everything else is working you may get lucky and it could have been a chip lockup issue. I have had this happen with an older JVC projector and several TV's. Doing the above fixed the issue.
Hope this works for you.

Well it's not looking good. I unplugged it for about 30 minutes and that didn't work. I also unplugged the hdmi so on the power source was going to it. The power outlet it's on is also a pass through outlet that runs down to the outlet beside the rest of the equipment. That's so I can run it through the same surgeX suppressor. I bypassed it and ran it straight to another outlet with a drop cord and that didn't work either.

I'm still puzzled how it only took out the projector and the modem on the other side of the house.

That and the directv genie minis won't output a signal. It's weird. It has to be all connected. I've never had trouble with any of it. I've had that projector well over a year.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Lightning can cause surges throughout your whole house. It looks like it has to go in for service.
The only other thing to try is to leave in unplugged overnight or for a longer time and try again. I doubt this will help but it is worth a final try. I have seen situations where all kinds of things get damaged even with surge protectors. They are not fast enough. The damage can come from the power source, cable connector or anything else. It is very easy to fry electronics. I know in my area cable tv grounds all connections and puts in extra lightning protectors. One last thing.
When you turn the projector on again have nothing plugged in to it and see if the light comes on. You might also want to check the bulb it could have blown out. Take it out and look at it and then put it back. These are the only other things that I can suggest. Very frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,386 Posts
Your projector's toast. There's nothing you can do about it. Sorry. Send it in for repairs or buy a new one.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
All the surge protection in the would won't help with a near lightning strike. It comes in on the low voltage cables and is a form of EDS (Electrostatic discharge) most likely through your HDMI cables for the projector anyway and there is a high chance your HDMI port on the AVR is also toast. The longer the length of the cables the more at risk. Good insurance is your only hope. Direct TV most likely a voltage potential between the LNB on the dish to the receivers as I bet your LNB is fried also.

·
Administrator
20,525 Posts
We had a near lighting strike take out an Xbox, a PC, a microwave, & the neighbor's garage door opener. Random items on different circuits will just die. Nothing to do but replace.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The reason why I made my suggestions is that a fault is showing up and the projector is not totally dead.
If nothing lights up than it is probably toast or something blown. The HDMI boards as stated could also be bad.
As I stated in a previous post unplug and try in a few hours again. I doubt it will help but it can't hurt. I would also check the bulb which could have blown out. The warning light will come on if this happens. Worth one last try.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had a near lighting strike take out an Xbox, a PC, a microwave, & the neighbor's garage door opener. Random items on different circuits will just die. Nothing to do but replace.
That makes me feel better knowing it can be very random. My only worry now is that the projector is the only big ticket item thats broke so far. I hope the insurance company doesn't try to give me trouble about it. The internet company is going give me a receipt showing they replaced the modem due to a lightning strike. I'll try to get something from directv also.

Now I need to test the denon receiver with a small tv for video source. The bluetooth will play music through the speakers so it's not totally dead.

·
Administrator
20,525 Posts
I hope the insurance company doesn't try to give me trouble about it.
They'll most likely depreciate the value of the projector based on it's age.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Honestly thats not very realistic with complex systems like some of us have. Sure if a storms approaching but still....
Well, either that or pay up!

By the way, @jeffreynmandy your surge protector at the breaker panel, is that breaker panel the 1st (main) breaker panel of your house?
Such surge protector circuit breakers should be 1-use (1 thunderstrike) and then they're useless, should also be in 3-steps, meaning, big/medium/fine protection.
You need all three steps otherwise nothing is for granted, any less granted than without all filters, of course.
You could also make do with big/medium at the main breaker panel, then fine at the equipment, i.e. your A/V equipment in this case.
Actually, it's preferable to have the fine protection as close to the equipment in question as possible, but don't ever skimp on the big/medium protection.

Having only one of the three is useless, having only two of three is useless, all three or nothing, really.
These all-in-one solutions that you put next to your equipment does nothing and can't do anything for a close strike to save your equipment.
They're basically a fine protection that can't act alone without their parent protections, i.e. big/medium, you also need to account for distances between filters.
I live on the country side in my country, where, if thunderstorm, basically all my stuff is at risk, so I always unplug, no filters, saves most money.
I end up having to eletrocute or overcharge my equipment close to the warranty periods end to refresh the lifecycle, and get new stuff, lol.

That last one was a joke, but I've been thinking about it, to be honest, I mean, who could tell?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not in the winter months, though, no risk of thunder, only in beginning of summer (basically spring to mid-autumn/autumn).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like it got the router as well. It's crazy. They replaced modem but it's my personal router. There was still problems with the internet. The download works but I get no upload. I replaced it with a cheap one for the time being and it's working.

How crazy is that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts