AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They'll most likely depreciate the value of the projector based on it's age.
They still sell the 790r. They lowered the price when the new ones came out. Hopefully that's what they will pay.

I bought it from someone but they gave me the original receipt that was $6359 after tax

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Well I live on the country side, there are literally fireballs walking the power lines here, so you know, not a fan of fireballs in my JVC.
Well if i had such a situation I suppose I would adapt a similar method.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
We had a near lighting strike take out an Xbox, a PC, a microwave, & the neighbor's garage door opener. Random items on different circuits will just die. Nothing to do but replace.
Lightning can punch through walls and has before. What Mike Lang said, all you can do is replace. :confused:

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The reason why I suggested other solutions than replace first is because the projector is not totally dead.
If you tried everything else replacement may be the only way to go. I would try one last thing. Remove and check your lamp to see if it is blown. Nothing to loose and only takes a few minutes. It seems that you have tried everything else.

·
Administrator
20,525 Posts
They still sell the 790r. They lowered the price when the new ones came out. Hopefully that's what they will pay.

I bought it from someone but they gave me the original receipt that was $6359 after tax
It depends on your insurance. Many think they have replacement cost coverage only to find out too late that they really have market value coverage.

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
I really didn't know this kind of issue could happen with the projector powered off even though plugged in. So it was turned off, but just in standby mode?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I really didn't know this kind of issue could happen with the projector powered off even though plugged in. So it was turned off, but just in standby mode?
it can definitely happen either through the power supply (projector in standby mode), HDMI ports or the ethernet port if connected to a switch.

This is one of the reasons I fanatically disconnect my projectors, avr and sources when any type of weather is in the area. It's not practical for most set ups but my rack config makes it easy to access and only takes a few mins to get everything plugged back in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You might want to check on the ballast of the unit. My jvc x550r suddenly stopped working. It initially turned on and the ila display briefly and it immediately went to protection mode. Standby light turned solid red, lamp light turned orange flashing three times and warning light is also solid red.

There are tutorial on you tube on replacing part in the ballast if you are handy.

Initially, i thought it was the bulb but after i replaced two new bulbs and it still have the same error code.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
it can definitely happen either through the power supply (projector in standby mode), HDMI ports or the ethernet port if connected to a switch.

This is one of the reasons I fanatically disconnect my projectors, avr and sources when any type of weather is in the area. It's not practical for most set ups but my rack config makes it easy to access and only takes a few mins to get everything plugged back in.
Yeah, my set-up is easy enough to unplug everything. Good to now know!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got it to stay on longer today but no video came on. Only the blue screen that said hdmi 1. I noticed that it didn't turn off until I turned on my apple tv.

I already had it turned on the last times I tried it. I plugged just an apple tv in but still got no video. It eventually turned off and the same code flashed again. So it's likely that the video is shot on my receiver also. It does play audio through Bluetooth. I need to get a small tv to hookup to see if it will out of video.

my wag is that the damage came in though the hdmi. The genie minis also have power but won't put out video. The modem also had power but wouldn't work.

So this damage didn't come through the power outlets. That would have killed the power supply.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So this damage didn't come through the power outlets. That would have killed the power supply.
No one on earth is able to tell what a thunderstrike does or doesn't, it does not follow our 'logic' thinking, it can probably pass components without hurting them, but affect others.
That would be my guess, lightning storms and power surges are very complex.
Hopefully the lesson has been learnt here, unplug your system/s next time.

For those of you who say: "Dude, I have like 12 circuit breakers and 35 prongs to unplug."
Yeah, well, get an electrician in there to setup one, big, fat, power outlet, an outlet which you can unplug by just unplugging the one prong, when you're done watching.
Pro-tip there, circuit breakers doesn't save you, the power surge will jump, also lightning can pass from equipment to equipment by all certain cables.
HDMI, ethernet/LAN, audio cables, all cables, it just needs conductivity/connetions, so unplugging just your power is not enough.
If your blu-ray player has a wired LAN connection, and your router still is plugged to the power outlet, well then the lightning will pass there and through your other equipment.
It takes the shortest, most easiest path (dare I say most of the time) all it searches for is the ground plane, it wants to discharge.
If your power prongs are unplugged, but it enters a LAN connection, then it needs to discharge in all the metal chassis available in your equipment.
It will enter back into the LAN connection because the discharge capabilities within the equipment wasn't enough, and ground where possible, entering other devices too.
Lesson is you need to unplug your system entirely and completely, all cables and their incoming connections, I've learnt the hard way too.
You want your system to be isolated, floating, once unplugged, also don't leave the power prongs an inch from the outlet, it can indeed jump the distance, trust me.
Put the prong away from the outlet, a good feet or two, then you've done your homework.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Old phone copper lines, coax lines, anything not necessarily power-related, are nasty ways for lightning to travel.
Fiber-optical is king, cannot lead electricity unless wet/damp, throw those boxes away, get your TV some other way, the last thing you want is for this to happen again.
I buried my old copper line for telephone/ADSL out back, 50 or so feet from the house, down into the ground, completely removed it, physically, from the house.

Nasty stuff.

Edit: Actually, satellite has better PQ/AQ than fiber-optical for broadcast, either one will work for avoiding lightning damages.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Your not even safe unplugging equipment from the AC only as you would also need to also disconnect any HDMI, coax, phone lines, network cables or any cables that run for one component to another as these are a path for the static pulse to travel. Good insurance is your only hope. I worked in field service for many years and saw several customer with near lightning strikes and everyone of them came in on phone, or network lines (low voltage lines) not one on the AC side. Many of the estimates I submitted to customers insurance companies were in the hundreds of thousands.

EDIT: Fiber optic is a great solution as it won't conduct electricity but todays fiber optic HDMI cables still do have some conductors in them and I have heard HDMI ports still being fried by lightning.

Reactions: Venue

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good input on the fiber HDMI, it's not full on fiber, as you mentioned. For networking though, as long as you unplug the AC, the fiber is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good input on the fiber HDMI, it's not full on fiber, as you mentioned. For networking though, as long as you unplug the AC, the fiber is perfectly fine.
I used a fiber hdmi cable. I had to use fiber because it was a long run inside the wall. Only the power and one hdmi was plugged into the projector.

I'm still puzzled at how this happened. To many things are acting up for it to be a coincidence.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Since you said it got the cable boxes, it most like came in through the coax cable to the cable TV boxes. Then traveled to your projector by HDMI.

I didnt think of that. My modem is connected to coax. I was just thinking about the ethernet lines. The directv is also coax. But it is coming from a different source than the dish though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Small update. The directv guy got one of the genie minis working, but the other one wasn't the mini. It took out the hdmi port it was going to. Moving out to another hdmi input got it working again. I should have thought of that.

He did say he just did the same thing at another location. The hdmi port went out after a storm.

So it looks like it targeted my hdmi ports.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Small update. Three direcv guy got one of the genie minis working, but the other one wasn't the mini. It took out the hdmi port it was going to. Moving out to another hdmi input got it working again. I should have thought of that.

He did say he just did the same thing at another location. The hdmi port went out after a storm.

So it looks like it targeted my hdmi ports.
HDMI ports are not as robust as the power connection. So, it does not take much of a surge to take them out.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts