AVS Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I used a fiber hdmi cable. I had to use fiber because it was a long run inside the wall. Only the power and one hdmi was plugged into the projector.

I'm still puzzled at how this happened. To many things are acting up for it to be a coincidence.
There are no coincidences with lightning, it takes whichever route possible, and can take multiple.
Any wire/lead/route that is capable of leading electricity, copper, aluminium, you know, wires, be it AC, LAN, HDMI, coax, telephone, ADSL, alarm, doorbell (yes), anything, really.
If there is a way, lightning will find it.

In my system, I debated quite some time if I should hook it up to my LAN network or not, I decided not to, simply due to the increased risk.
Instead I chose to 'isolate' my system by plugging/unplugging an SSD to fill/replace content as desired, small sacrifice of convenience, but saves a lot of headache and money.
Wi-Fi is better than wired in that sense, and the less equipment that is wired together in a LAN network, the better, I never wire a unit that REALLY doesn't need it.

I have neighbors not unplugging, hearing them say they got their **** blown out, really can't understand them, the fireballs wandering the power lines can't be smaller over there.
I have mad respect for thunderstorms, not afraid, but respect, also value my equipment to a sense I could never forget to unplug, I hope the idea here is spreading.

If you can get your stuff working again, you're in mad luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The bulb looks OK. Can anyone recommend a good repair place? Since it's out of warranty I have other options besides jvc. It's $200/hr through them. In the big picture that's not bad considering how expensive they are.

But if I can avoid shipping it across the country and possibly pay less, I'd rather do that.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
wow I was surprised to see this message from Mendtronix (JVC's previously authorized repair center) on their FB page:

After 22 years of being the leader in the AV projection service industry, Mendtronix has ended those services.

quick email to verify:

Mendtronix has exited the projector repair business to focus on other areas, please contact the good team at www.nationalprovideo.com who are now the JVC authorized repair partner.

The JVC link is still pointing to the old service center

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/support/support.jsp?pageID=10

edit: this looks like a dead end for repairs of the last few generations.

National Pro Video - Industry Leading Data Wall and Projector Service - JVC Projector Service

Please Note: We DO NOT make repairs on the following models, please contact JVC customer support @ 1.800.252.5722

DLA-NX5 / DLA-NX7 / DLA-NX9

DLA-RS1000 / DLA-RS2000 / DLA-RS3000

DLA-RS4500U

DLA-X590 / DLA-X790 / DLA-X990

DLA-RS440 / DLA-RS540 / DLA-RS640

LX-UH1 / LX-FH50 / LX-WX50 / LX-NZ3

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
wow I was surprised to see this message from Mendtronix (JVC's previously authorized repair center) on their FB page:

After 22 years of being the leader in the AV projection service industry, Mendtronix has ended those services.

quick email to verify:

Mendtronix has exited the projector repair business to focus on other areas, please contact the good team at www.nationalprovideo.com who are now the JVC authorized repair partner.

The JVC link is still pointing to the old service center

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/support/support.jsp?pageID=10

edit: this looks like a dead end for repairs of the last few generations.

National Pro Video - Industry Leading Data Wall and Projector Service - JVC Projector Service

Please Note: We DO NOT make repairs on the following models, please contact JVC customer support @ 1.800.252.5722

DLA-RS4500U

Where are you getting this link: Factory Service Centers
When I go to JVC's site and go to support, I do not get the same link. Everything is correct, when going to support on JVC's sites. I have checked pro and consumer side. Your link looks like an old link that is no longer active. Did you use a bookmarked link?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Where are you getting this link: Factory Service Centers
When I go to JVC's site and go to support, I do not get the same link. Everything is correct, when going to support on JVC's sites. I have checked pro and consumer side. Your link looks like an old link that is no longer active. Did you use a bookmarked link?
Mike hi, I went to google and typed in JVC Projector Support

4th link on first search page:

from this site, points to a dead link at Mendtronix

Where do folks go now for out of warranty repair? The new repair center states they are not supporting the last few generations of the JVC projectors.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts

View attachment 3118099

View attachment 3118100

View attachment 3118107

Where do folks go now for out of server warranty repair? The new repair center states that are not supporting the last few generations of the JVC projectors.

View attachment 3118099

View attachment 3118100

View attachment 3118107

Where do folks go now for out of server warranty repair? The new repair center states that are not supporting the last few generations of the JVC projectors.
Looks to me that JVC is doing the repair work for the following projectors:

DLA-RS4500U

National Pro is doing repair for all the others.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Looks to me that JVC is doing the repair work for the following projectors:

DLA-RS4500U

National Pro is doing repair for all the others.
Thanks Mike. It would be good to report the broken link to JVC. That would be a relatively common Google search and customers could land on the broken Mendtronix link.

Some extra info that Mendtronix sent:

Due to COVID-19 and the changing landscape of the AV Industry Mendtronix has made the decision to phase out of the AV side of our business. A large percentage of our client base are educational institutions and houses of worship. As you are aware with COVID-19 restrictions these two sectors have not been operating as normal. We are now directing our focus into the 3PL and medical fields.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
Thanks Mike. It would be good to report the broken link to JVC. That would be a relatively common Google search and customers could land on the broken Mendtronix link.

Some extra info that Mendtronix sent:

Due to COVID-19 and the changing landscape of the AV Industry Mendtronix has made the decision to phase out of the AV side of our business. A large percentage of our client base are educational institutions and houses of worship. As you are aware with COVID-19 restrictions these two sectors have not been operating as normal. We are now directing our focus into the 3PL and medical fields.

Has been reported. Sounds like Mendtronix got out due to reduced business caused by Covid-19.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,386 Posts
Old phone copper lines, coax lines, anything not necessarily power-related, are nasty ways for lightning to travel.
Fiber-optical is king, cannot lead electricity unless wet/damp, throw those boxes away, get your TV some other way, the last thing you want is for this to happen again.
I buried my old copper line for telephone/ADSL out back, 50 or so feet from the house, down into the ground, completely removed it, physically, from the house.

Nasty stuff.

Edit: Actually, satellite has better PQ/AQ than fiber-optical for broadcast, either one will work for avoiding lightning damages.
Satellite dish on roof might be a lightening rod and then the lightning travels down the coax from the dish to the equipment etc.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Electron cloud…… uncertainty of where the electron is and its momentum? Probability of finding that electron where and when you look for it…….. and so, damage to your equipment? Yeah, there is no 100% guaranteed anything in this line of protection. Just one trying to limit the probabilities. Obviously, a much more fundamental level of looking at the problem but how far down the rabbit hole would you go?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update on getting the projector repaired. The place jvc recommended said they don't repair components in the board, they replace the whole board. And the cost would run around $1,300. I can't really complain because the insurance company treated me right.

I just wonder if I should look into a different company that could repair the problem on the board for much less or if I should just cough up the dough.

Another option I was thinking about was just going with a 85" tv. My theater room isn't that big but it may be too big of a drop to go from 120" to 85".

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Update on getting the projector repaired. The place jvc recommended said they don't repair components in the board, they replace the whole board. And the cost would run around $1,300. I can't really complain because the insurance company treated me right.

I just wonder if I should look into a different company that could repair the problem on the board for much less or if I should just cough up the dough.

Another option I was thinking about was just going with a 85" tv. My theater room isn't that big but it may be too big of a drop to go from 120" to 85".
Hello, where did JVC send you to for your x790r repair? This company below is their new repair facility but state they do not cover the X790 model.

$1300 isn't too bad if you were previously happy with the projector. pls keep us posted on the experience if you decide to get it repaired.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It is national pro video that they told me to send it to. It's kind of confusing how they did it. Jvc even sent me a first email that said they they didn't work on that model, but send another saying to disregard it.

They must be in a transition of repair companies. I called and spoke with someone at national pro and that's who gave me the quote.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts