AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a projector really soon. Most likely one of the JVC's, but on their website the only difference they give you is price and contrast. Some with more contrast cost less than ones with less contrast. Can someone please school me on the difference in the JVC projectors?

Also can I get screen contrast recommendations for the JVC's. the room is in the basement ( about 13' x 17') and can be totally dark if need be.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The current models are the RS10/HD350 and RS20/HD750. The main differences are that the RS10 is brighter, and cheaper, but the RS20 has higher contrast, THX certified and a CMS system for more accurate colors.

The RS1/RS2 are discontinued.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Yeah, and the brand new models HD550 and HD950 are already announced, claimed to be available in late September. If I were you, I'd wait for the new models. Even if they're not that much better (we don't know that yet), once they're available you should be able to get the current models for a better price. There'll also be another new JVC projector released soon, one price/performance level higher than what is available today from JVC.

Check out this page for a good comparison review of the 2 current models (in German, though):

http://cine4home.de/tests/projektore.../HD750Test.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I will make the jump on a new RS15,RS20, or RS25 really soon. My latest question is,"Is it worth the extra couple thousand for the RS25, look for a new RS20 or get the RS15?" My cash flow says get the RS15, but for some good responses I may be able to be swayed to one of the others.

About me:

This is my first dedicated home theater. It will be a totally dark "bat cave".

I'm not gonna fuss about the reds and blues being a hair off.

I have small kids that will have access to this room.

Probable gear:

Front L&R: (2) Klipsch RS-82 (Sure I'm gonna get these)

Center: (1) Klipsch RC-62 (this too)

Surround: (2) Klipsch RS-62 (These or the RS-52)

Subwoofer: (1) Klipsch RT-10d (Bought already)

Receiver: Still trying to decide between Yamaha and Denon

Screen: I need suggestions for a nice affordable screen around 100"

Any suggestions?

Jason can you shoot me a PM on the Projector prices?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am in a similar buying situation. After owning two previous projectors I am leaning towards the RS25 so that I get the best of the current technology at this time. When you look at this purchase over the lifetime of the projector I would argue that the cost benefit is worth the purchase of the RS25 over the RS20 and RS15.

For me the benefit of the RS25 over the RS20 is the sharper image, improved contrast and motion blur technology. The RS25 has the improved contrast and THX certification over the RS15 which I like as I am not really a tweaker and help me for saying this on this forum but I will probably watch my projector with the out of the box THX setting.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aychdot /forum/post/17323234

Ok I will make the jump on a new RS15,RS20, or RS25 really soon. My latest question is,"Is it worth the extra couple thousand for the RS25, look for a new RS20 or get the RS15?" My cash flow says get the RS15, but for some good responses I may be able to be swayed to one of the others.

About me:

This is my first dedicated home theater. It will be a totally dark "bat cave".

I'm not gonna fuss about the reds and blues being a hair off.

I have small kids that will have access to this room.

Probable gear:

Front L&R: (2) Klipsch RS-82 (Sure I'm gonna get these)

Center: (1) Klipsch RC-62 (this too)

Surround: (2) Klipsch RS-62 (These or the RS-52)

Subwoofer: (1) Klipsch RT-10d (Bought already)

Receiver: Still trying to decide between Yamaha and Denon

Screen: I need suggestions for a nice affordable screen around 100"

Any suggestions?

Jason can you shoot me a PM on the Projector prices?

Call my direct line at 585-671-2968 and we can discuss.

Short answer...only you can determine. Long answer...some people really require/care about the most accurate display which would essentially force you into an RS25 (or RS20 if you can find one). Others may not have the same level of need for that (specifically the most accurate colors), so in that case the RS15 represents a better value. No real write or wrong answer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts