AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you good people out there are still using your JVC Dila/G11-15 projectors. i have had mine for almost five years (bought from AVS) and i still enjoy it very much. i have had my problems trying to design a hushbox that works. it is still working as good as the first day i bought it (fingers crossed). I hope you are still enjoying yours. good viewing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm on my 4th bulb in my G1000 that I picked up used in 2000. Gave my spare G10 to my sister as it was collecting dust. Best return on HT investment I've made.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Folks!

No kidding! I've owned D-ILAs for almost seven years, and I can't think of any other piece of electronics that has stood the test of time as well. It's quite impressive when you think of how quickly other electronics gear is rapidly outdated. Back then, "high-end" PCs were 350 MHz Pentium IIs... ;)

Cheers!

MarkF

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I bought a used G10 last year to replace a CRT and have really enjoyed it. I Dilard calibrated it and use it with a ISCO II fed from a Lumagen.

Have a spare projector a few extra used bulbs and one spare NIB box too.

Shawn

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm a new D-ILA owner (HX2U) and love it. I have a hushbox for mine built into the rear wall and it works great. The heat vents into the room behind. I have it temperature monitored and the inside of the box is never more than 1 degree hotter than room temperature. Sorry that I don't have detailed pics at this time but could take some of you're interested.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have had a WP calibrated HX1 for two years. I have it in a dedicated theater. I realy like it but I am wanting more contrast. On/Off and ANSI contrast.

I am going to take a break from D-ila for a few years until the contrast improves. In the mean time, I am going to try the new Sim2 C3X three chip DLP projector depending on final specs. If it comes close to delivering its rated contrast I will be very happy.

I love my HX1 but I am very sensitive to the lowish contrast of 700:1 in my black hole of a room. I like to watch dark movies and this material does not do well with this PJ IMO.

I will keep my HX1 for a short time to do a direct comparisson with the new three chip DLP and then sell the HX1, unless I am really supprised by the comparrison. I considered the HD2K but the low ANSI contrast, modest on/Off contrast and 6K higher price pushed me towards 3x DLP. The Sony was even more out of my price range.

FWIW

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have had a professionally-calibrated G-15 for the past 4 years and I'm still in awe of it. I don't use a screen, but project on a 10 foot wide white wall only at night. While I haven't seen the latest D-ILAs (e.g., HD2K), it's hard to imagine anything much better. The only area for potential improvement is black level on all-dark scenes; otherwise the smooth, punchy, colorful, film-like picture (especially on HD) is incredible.

Best purchase I've ever made.

- Dave

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I've been in love with this technology since the mid '90s starting with the ILA behemoths (I never owned ILA but I did work on them). When DILA came out, I became a proud owner and I've bought three since then (G11, SX21 and now HD2K). I love the smoothness and artifact free image of the HD2K and with a Wm calibration the coloration, shading and gamma are superb. The only PQ aspect of DILA that has bothered me in the past was the high black level (good shadow detail though) and the HD2K fixes this in a big way. My old G11 still throws a great picture even by todays standards.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
At work we had a Hughes-JVC G-10 (first generation) in the auditorium. I had it projecting on a 95 x 158 inch Stewart Filmscreen with Microperf. We compared this unit to a couple of CRT models (one of the Sony units weighed more than 200 pounds) and the difference in brightness level was most startling. AFAIK this unit is still in use.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Like Thunder said, I too, am a new owner of a JVC HX2. I love the beauty of this pictures. I almost went with a single chip DLP, but happy I moved up to a 3 chip DILA .You can watch it for hours upon hours without any fatiqued. I just ordered a Zektor 5.1 DVI switcher, so I can enjoy all my viewing thru DVI...even found 1 foot DVI cables for a neat rack setup...Its apleasure too pull out some of those older DVDs and watch them again and enjoy a new viewing experience. Fishman

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just bought my second JVC DILA, the HX1U (actually rebranded Dukane). When my theater is done, it will be projecting on a 110" Stewart FireHawk, 19' throw distance. Ad hoc tests show a great picture. I'm so excited!

My first JVC is a G11 with a Whisperflow hushbox. We had it mounted in a spare bedroom in our previous house projecting on a DIY screen. It wowed our family and friends for 3 years.

Shameless Plug: G11 (360 hr lamp) with hushbox and Chief Mfg mount are up for sale. PM me if interested. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=570800

My wife and I love DILA technology. We took a cursory look at DLPs last month before ordering the HX1. No comparison! SDE and rainbows plague that technology. We're DILA all the way.

Max

·
Registered
768 Posts
Curious as what screen you are all using with your D-ILA. The reason I ask is that I've read in a few different places that you can't go wrong with a white screen like the Studiotek 130 if you have a light controlled room and a relatively dark ceiling, floor and wall. In contrast, most prefer a grey screen if ambient light is a factor.

Well I just ran a test between the StudiTek 130 and my current Dalite HCCV screen in my dedicated, light controlled room with black ceiling, black carpet and dark taupe walls and I preferred the HCCV with my HX2.

Is it the case given D-ILA's lower contrast ratio versus DLP that grey is usually the better choice for D-ILA, even the HD2k? What is your preference for your D-ILA and have you tested multiple options?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Dukane 9100hc is my first projector, so I don't have any comparisons.

It is only temporarily set up and room is definitely NOT light controlled yet.

We watched "Lagaan, Once Upon A Time in India" last night. 3 and 3/4 hours long,

Aviator on Sunday afternoon.

The image on a 106" Graywolf is sharp, bright and easy on the eye.

I have not done any tweaking to the OPPO DVD or the projector. It will take me a while to figure out how to properly operate both units, then maybe I will play with the settings. I am actually very pleased with how they perform right out of the box. The signal is thru DVI, but I have no idea what the resolution going to the PJ is....Home entertainment systems are getting complicated.

I was also amazed that the picture is at least watchable with the sun out. We have lived here 26 years and will just now buy some drapes! LOL!

I hope this unit will last several years,

Ann

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"What is your preference for your D-ILA and have you tested multiple options?"

My theater is totally light controlled and the entire front half of my room is pretty much all black or dark grey (carpet). I started with a Carada Brilliant White screen. I Dilard calibrated the unit and also added a filter to improve the contrast. After about 8 months or so I tried the Carada High Contrast Gray and really prefered the picture on that screen. Blacks looked better but I think overall the colors look richer too which I wasn't expecting.

Shawn

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have my HX2 mounted in the bedroom, projecting through a small window into the living-room (great motivator for vacuuming that bedroom regularly!) I am so addicted by now I turn it on every evening. This weekend, I did an all-nighter of 10 hours - zero eye fatigue or headaches. As for screens, I'm projecting on a Dalite HCCV, but in my opinion it sparkles too much. At least the price was great (bought from AVS), but next time I build a screen I'll use a different material.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am presently using a grayhawk 52x92 screen using the component outputs of my dvd player (progressive) straight into the JVC G11U and the picture is just amazing. i am planning on making a very simple masking system to use with the setup.

·
Registered
918 Posts
JVC G10 with an original Grayhawk 16:9 8' wide screen. Very nice picture, but I've not ever gotten around to putting the thing into a hush box. I used to just turn up the volume of the movie to compensate, but now with a couple of kids that would wake up from a loud noise we've cut back on the movies. The new Canon has me getting upgrade fever...

·
Registered
342 Posts
My screen for my HX2 is probably borderline small(45X80) My installer ordered a Draper white screen/92", but they sent a Hi Def Grey. My installer gave me the option on returning it, or trying Hi Def Grey to see how I liked it. Well, needless to say, Ive been very happy. My theater is totally light controlled...only run ropes with a dimmer at low, my ceiling are Armstrong Black accoustical tiles and my screen borders are black velvet Oniyx from Draper. I cant believe the light output available on this screen size...I think it would be great on white as well, but really looks great on those dark movies like Panic Room, Dark City, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.