AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to help a friend install his RS-1X this weekend. He has a platform that sits about 7' up on a rear wall. He says the RS-1x can sit right side up like a table top install and the lense shift will lower the picture. His screen is a 102'' fixed mount starting about 3 feet off the floor. I told him I believe, as with most projectors, that it needs to be ceiling mounted and therefore turned upside down. He doesnt want to do that and just wants it sitting on the shelf 7 feet up. Can this be done on the new X model? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
It makes no difference. The JVC can be mounted either way and with with any screen material type. One of the main objectives should be to use as little lens shift as possible, no shift is best . If your friend has a HiPower retroreflective type screen then try to keep the projector as low as practical either in back of or in front of the viwers.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My RS1 is shelf mounted, back wall, 7 feet from the floor.

The bottom of the screen is about 3 feet from the floor.

No problems.

However, you might want to keep the foam pieces in place to help preserve the lens position because the mechanics for lens shift are "shifty". My sub makes my lens vibrate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your help. I guess the JVC makes installation a snap. Unlike my IN83. Thanks again

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi and thanks Jason. I swear my IN83 was a hard install to keep from any keystoning. If I liked the JVC picture as much as I do the IN83 I certainly would of bought it. I brought home the JVC, IN83 and just for kicks the Epson 1080UB and the Infocus colors, sharpness, 3D and brightness were so much better to me. I wanted the JVC so bad because of the lense shift and all the hype and reviews on it. I even tried the JVC with a high power Da-Lite screen and it still didnt do it for me. Standard broadcast looked so much better on the IN83 and I watch everything on my projector. I did see where the JVC had better black levels but not night and day difference. How black has it got to be to enjoy it and the black levels and shadow details are fine on the IN83. I guess maybe I am use to DLP as were my 2 previous projectors. To each is own though. Maybe if I just used it for BR DVD or liked a pitch dark room the JVC would have been the choice. I certainly would have liked the quieter fan noise and easier install. Anyway mine is installed and I love it. Now I will help my friend with his install but it looks like with the JVC he doesnt need much help. Have a great 4th everybody.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman9 /forum/post/14217174

Hi and thanks Jason. I swear my IN83 was a hard install to keep from any keystoning. If I liked the JVC picture as much as I do the IN83 I certainly would of bought it. I brought home the JVC, IN83 and just for kicks the Epson 1080UB and the Infocus colors, sharpness, 3D and brightness were so much better to me. I wanted the JVC so bad because of the lense shift and all the hype and reviews on it. I even tried the JVC with a high power Da-Lite screen and it still didnt do it for me. Standard broadcast looked so much better on the IN83 and I watch everything on my projector. I did see where the JVC had better black levels but not night and day difference. How black has it got to be to enjoy it and the black levels and shadow details are fine on the IN83. I guess maybe I am use to DLP as were my 2 previous projectors. To each is own though. Maybe if I just used it for BR DVD or liked a pitch dark room the JVC would have been the choice. I certainly would have liked the quieter fan noise and easier install. Anyway mine is installed and I love it. Now I will help my friend with his install but it looks like with the JVC he doesnt need much help. Have a great 4th everybody.

And there is nothing wrong with that.
Seriously, the IN83 is a great projector for sure. And I know where you are coming from...I myself prefer the look of DLP (such as the IN83).

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts