AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that a thread had been made comparing the RS2 to the Marantz VP15S1, but I was wondering if it was worth the extra $ to buy the Marantz over the RS1, and if so why?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/14294930

Tom you seem to worry about getting the sharpest picture avail. If so get the Marantz, but it won't be quite as good from a black level standpoint.

But you will still be top teir in that regards as well.

Well I am concerned with sharpness, however I am more concerned with overall picture. Is the difference in the sharpness between the two greater than the difference in black levels?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
The subjective comment you will get here should be taken with a grain of salt. You should really see each projector yourself if you want to make a good decision for you.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,976 Posts
Tryg, he is more then likely not going to be able to see both. And he continually posts with worries if the JVC will be sharp enough for him.

Knock out the number one worry and move on. I also agree he can't go wrong with the JVC or the Marantz. It will already be way better then the HDTV he was watching at his parents anyhow. As long as his room is fully light controlled.

PS. TOM the sharpness differences are about the same as the black level differences... I know that didn't help.

Marantz will have more accurate color out of box.

JVC = Lcos (easier on the eyes if you suffer any RBE)

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Where's CatDaddy been? I thought for sure he would have chimed in on this post by now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/14296305

Tryg, he is more then likely not going to be able to see both. And he continually posts with worries if the JVC will be sharp enough for him.

Knock out the number one worry and move on. I also agree he can't go wrong with the JVC or the Marantz. It will already be way better then the HDTV he was watching at his parents anyhow. As long as his room is fully light controlled.

PS. TOM the sharpness differences are about the same as the black level differences... I know that didn't help.

Marantz will have more accurate color out of box.

JVC = Lcos (easier on the eyes if you suffer any RBE)

Is the motion blur pretty noticable on the RS1 though?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I own the Marantz VP-15s1 and am very happy with it. If I were you I'll stick with the Marantz. They're very reliable and built like a tank. If you're a black level fanatic, I would get the VP-11s2 which has a darkchip 4 for more $$$.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/14297281

I have the Rs1 and its way sharp. Personally, I think DLP have a sharper image overall, but I wouldnt discount the RS1 because of it

Hi Daniel, I haven't seen you post in a long time. When did you get the RS-1 and how do you like it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have a somewhat light controlled room and a good screen, you would be very impressed with he performance of the RS1. You might want to also look at the RS2's features.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 /forum/post/14297147

The only time I noticed motion blur on my RS1 was during slower pans in lower APL scenes, or during scrolling credits. The image/text seemed to jump from one position to the next, leaving almost a short "trail" of the previous image or text behind it. I'd say I saw this about 5%-10% of my total viewing time, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it too much. Of course, YMMV and you may not notice this at all - I'm sure there are RS1 owners here with different opinions on the issue.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/14295989

The subjective comment you will get here should be taken with a grain of salt. You should really see each projector yourself if you want to make a good decision for you.

Tryg is right here...this thread is, for all intents and purposes, an exercise in preferences and opportunity for people to champion their choices or point out obvious differences inherent in the two technologies. Both are great units and have their own set of positives and negatives (limited not only to pure picture, but also other aspects of installation). A DLP based unit simply throws a different picture than a LCOS unit - they are like different flavors of ice cream and the only way you'll know which flavor you'll like is to see them first hand. If you can't see both specific units, try at the very least to see each of the two flavors (by this I mean DLP and LCOS)...this should be doable no matter how remotely located you are (it might be easier to see a Sony than a JVC...DLP should be readily available at any high end installer).

·
Banned
6,051 Posts

Quote:
Hi Daniel, I haven't seen you post in a long time. When did you get the RS-1 and how do you like it?

Hi Mark, I got my RS1 around March of last year. I put it in a 2.35 system with a 120 in wide screen. I moved so I was able to build a dedicated room in my garage. I really like the RS1 a lot. the off colors were noticeable at first but after I had it calibrated using my Lumagen scaler, the colors got much better.

After 8 years of posting on the forum, I kind of got burned out. Now that I have totally enjoyed my system and have gotten some rest , I am refreshed and back on the forum

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 /forum/post/14297147

The only motion blur I have noticed is because of "sample-and-hold", used in most projectors and flat screens. RBE (which you get with DLP) is a worse form of the same limitation.

It comes down to the fact that a 24Hz recording should be played back at 24Hz without the frame being repeated or kept on the screen for the full duration of the interval. Your eyes/brain automatically track motion and see the repeated or retained image as a blur or echo trailing the moving object.

You can clearly spot this on $70.000 (or cheaper) flat screens with fast on-screen movement. The same goes for most commercial projectors on the market.

Because sufficient light output with current technology is costly with a screen that is black 3/4 of the time, and artificial in-between frames are undesired, it is a thing we will have to live with for the time being.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettepet /forum/post/14302711

The only motion blur I have noticed is because of "sample-and-hold", used in most projectors and flat screens. RBE (which you get with DLP) is a worse form of the same limitation.

They are both physiological phenomenon but how "worse" one is over the other really depends on the individual.

http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psyc...in/writeup.htm

"The visual effect of motion blur is a smearing/local distortion of the image. A slow pixel response time will obviously cause this problem. However, motion-blur also comes from the 'sample-and-hold' effect: an image held on the screen for the duration of a frame-time blurs on the retina as the eye tracks the (average) motion from one frame to the next. This results in a “point spreading” and loss of sharpness for fast moving images. It is important to emphasize that hold type blur DOES not take place on the LCD screen but in the human eye – and so in fact cannot be “captured” by a still image – it is a physiological phenomenon. By comparison, as the CRT electron beam sweeps the surface of a cathode ray tube, it lights any given part of the screen only for a small fraction of the frame time. More generally, CRTs have “impulse” type displays where the response time is on the order of microseconds – so these motion blur problems are not present for CRT TVs"

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx /forum/post/14303043

They are both physiological phenomenon but how "worse" one is over the other really depends on the individual.

Hmm, I doubt it.

Where sample-and-hold shows the same image as an echo, RBE is showing several "rainbows" trailing a moving image. This has been frequently mentioned as a complaint and reason to re-sell or return a display/pj.

By using faster color switching in a DLP the RBE diminishes and becomes somewhat less obvious as the more regular sample-and-hold phenomenon. Complaints about sample-and-hold induced "blur" are less common (and more difficult to avoid).

Thanks for the additional explanation about blur.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The RS1X is a bit brighter than the VP15S1 in Iris 1 and 2. In Iris 3, the VP15S1 should be a bit brighter (but at the sacrifice of contrast).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts