AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a new projector and I was fairly certain I was going with the RS10 but after hearing about the blowout deal AVS is having with the RS2 I am reconsidering. Especially since it will save me about 1.5K.

Room is about 12' x 22' and fairly light controlled. Screen is 105" Seymour AV. I am going to use it mostly for movies and xbox but also some tv and very little sports.

So far I have:

RS10:

- More expensive

- Curent technology

- Brighter

- Fully motorized lens

RS2:

- Better black levels

- Cheaper!

- Older

My biggest point of concern is the lower brightness.

Is there anything else I should be looking for, consider? Give me your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
RS10 if you dont might spending the cash.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Since the RS10 is soon to be discontinued - I assume you mean the new 550 (see other theads on this forum).

I am in the same position - have light controlled room with 108" 16:9 AT screen with gain of 0.9-1.0.

For me, the RS2 with a brand new bulb would properly (15FC) illuminate my screen; however, as the bulb ages, my illumination would drop. Furthermore, we often like some lights on for sports or video games and as such, the RS2 misses the mark a bit.

For me, the RS10 and its successor, will give me more versatility as the bulb ages and as we want to view with ambient light.

That being said, the RS2 is a bargain at the refurb price from AVS.

Of course, once I get more brightness I will likely increase the screen size and lose the aformentioned benefits!

db

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Supposedly the RS2 is brighter than the RS10 in best mode IF you calibrate your RS10 for best black levels by closing it's iris. I went through this same decision in the spring between the RS2 and the Pioneer FPJ1. If you get a Dalite HP screen you will not have any issues with brightness. I have a 106" screen and it's very bright with my Pioneer in normal lamp mode (not on high) and it still have great blacks!

You could save the $1500 and put it towards a newer projector down the road. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/17009402

Supposedly the RS2 is brighter than the RS10 in best mode IF you calibrate your RS10 for best black levels by closing it's iris.

The JVC website lists the contrast ratio of the RS10 as 30,000:1, but is this native or with the iris closed all the way down? And the RS2 does this without an iris?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/17009645

The JVC website lists the contrast ratio of the RS10 as 30,000:1, but is this native or with the iris closed all the way down?

Yes, it's native and with the iris all the way closed down. The RSx0 have static, adjustable irises, these are very different in effect than the dynamic irises I think you are thinking of. What it means is the iris is in a fixed position (unless you're adjusting it) and it not used by the projector to change brightness on the fly like a dynamic system does.

Thus the CR truly is "native", though with an adjustable iris you have the option to pick the compromise between brightness and contrast that best fits your room.

Quote:
And the RS2 does this without an iris?

The RS2 probably has an iris too, but it's fixed and not user-adjustable.

Basically it just means the RS10 gives you the option to sacrifice brightness for CR performance, (or the reverse) where the RS2 is what it is, essentially.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
My recommendation would be to either get the RS2 on the deal now or wait until IFA (September 4th in Europe) or CEDIA (September 10th in the US) to decide what to do.

--Darin

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Not sure when the new projectors will be coming out even though Jason Turk said he should be receiving one before Cedia. Typically, if JVC annouces in September (CEdia) you wont see the model being sold until sometime between January - March. For all I know they could be releasing earlier than that but if they do their typical deal, you are going to have to wait 6-7 months until you see the new model

As for between the RS10 and RS2, if you have the money, i would probably go with the RS10, but if money is an issue (when isnt it?) the RS2 is fantastic way to go

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dbbarron: I did mean the RS10. Didnt know about it being discontinued, I will have to look into this. If this means I can get a deal on the RS10 over the 550 should I? This seems to be the same question as the RS2 vs the RS10 in reverse!

darinp2: Why do you recommend the RS2 over the RS10? Any particular reason?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt /forum/post/17011620

darinp2: Why do you recommend the RS2 over the RS10? Any particular reason?

It isn't that I'm recommending the RS2 over the RS10, it is that I think the RS2 deal may be a short time offer (when they are gone they are gone, at least for a little while) and you save some money with that one, which CEDIA isn't likely to change that significantly. That is, I don't see CEDIA causing RS2 prices to drop that much. But the RS10 is "current technology" as you said, which quickly becomes the old technology as soon as the new ones come out and CEDIA could give us a great idea about when a replacement model will be available. If it is September like I think somebody posted then RS10 prices could drop and/or used RS10s and RS20s could become available in September. At this point it is less than 3 weeks to IFA and less than 4 weeks to CEDIA.

Put another way, I think the new projectors could have a bigger impact to RS10 pricing than RS2 pricing (especially compared to the deal AVScience has on the RS2). So, if you want an RS2 I don't see as much reason to wait. If you want the RS10 then I would suggest waiting. About the worst that could happen in the latter case is you can't find an RS10 and have to buy the replacement model, although I think it is unlikely you couldn't find an RS10 then, especially if you are willing to buy used.

The above assumes normal pricing for an RS10 right now. If you know of some super special deal on an RS10 below normal street prices for them that won't be around in 3 weeks then my advice would change.

--Darin

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you can wait the 3-4 weeks,do so! If you can't wait....get the RS-2 deal from AVS. As soon as you pull the trigger on any projector,it becomes out of date and starts losing value...so buying at below market price allows you to have a little left over for the wonderful new stuff around the corner limiting your depreciation!
JB

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/17011944

It isn't that I'm recommending the RS2 over the RS10, it is that I think the RS2 deal may be a short time offer (when they are gone they are gone, at least for a little while) and you save some money with that one, which CEDIA isn't likely to change that significantly. That is, I don't see CEDIA causing RS2 prices to drop that much. But the RS10 is "current technology" as you said, which quickly becomes the old technology as soon as the new ones come out and CEDIA could give us a great idea about when a replacement model will be available. If it is September like I think somebody posted then RS10 prices could drop and/or used RS10s and RS20s could become available in September. At this point it is less than 3 weeks to IFA and less than 4 weeks to CEDIA.

Put another way, I think the new projectors could have a bigger impact to RS10 pricing than RS2 pricing (especially compared to the deal AVScience has on the RS2). So, if you want an RS2 I don't see as much reason to wait. If you want the RS10 then I would suggest waiting. About the worst that could happen in the latter case is you can't find an RS10 and have to buy the replacement model, although I think it is unlikely you couldn't find an RS10 then, especially if you are willing to buy used.

The above assumes normal pricing for an RS10 right now. If you know of some super special deal on an RS10 below normal street prices for them that won't be around in 3 weeks then my advice would change.

--Darin

Darin,

I was actually waiting for the RS10 but the RS2 deal at AVS made me rethink my choice. Yes I am hoping for a price drop during CEDIA after the 550 comes out. But usually it takes a while after the announcements for the product to hit the shelves. So I dont know how long it will be before we start seeing the RS10's and RS20's dropping in price.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
How bright of a pic do you want?

Personally, I was happy with my Pioneer FPJ1 when I first got it on a neutral gain screen until I saw it on an HP Dalite screen. I am using mine on normal lamp (not high) mode. If you like a bright pic you might like the RS10 or the replacement coming out over the RS2. It all depends on your personal preferences.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/17017671

How bright of a pic do you want?

Personally, I was happy with my Pioneer FPJ1 when I first got it on a neutral gain screen until I saw it on an HP Dalite screen. I am using mine on normal lamp (not high) mode. If you like a bright pic you might like the RS10 or the replacement coming out over the RS2. It all depends on your personal preferences.

Bright picture concerns me only because there is bound to be some ambient light and I don't want it to look washed out. While I can achieve near total darkness, even during daylight, its improbable that will be the case most of the time because its an apartment and the projector is going to be in the living room. So there is certainly going to be some traffic.

Also since I am using an AT screen there is going to be some loss of brightness because of that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess this thread is moot now, looks like the RS2 blowout has blown over. I think its better that way, I am leaning towards the RS10 anyway

Anyone know any deals on it? Is AVS going to have a sale on the RS10 as well?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
JVC has announced new projectors. The HD550, HD950, and HD990. I assume these will replace the RS10 and RS20 so if you are willing to wait the prices on the RS10 MIGHT come down. More details on the new models should come out around CEDIA time next month.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt /forum/post/17019529

I guess this thread is moot now, looks like the RS2 blowout has blown over. I think its better that way, I am leaning towards the RS10 anyway

From a post in another thread, it looks like there will be a second shipment of the refurbed RS2s. Maybe Jason can confirm (or deny) this.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/17009933

Basically it just means the RS10 gives you the option to sacrifice brightness for CR performance, (or the reverse) where the RS2 is what it is, essentially.

Thanks for that explaination. I think I am going to wait to see if there is a price reduction on the RS10/20's to get the adjustable iris, powered zoom/focus, and some other features not available on the RS2.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup I think I will wait for a possible price reduction in the RS10. Someone, why am I not doing this?, should ask Jason if AVS is going to come out with a deal for the RS10 like they did for the RS2.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt /forum/post/17021855

Yup I think I will wait for a possible price reduction in the RS10. Someone, why am I not doing this?, should ask Jason if AVS is going to come out with a deal for the RS10 like they did for the RS2.

The RS2 deal was for B stock. JVC may have some B stock on the RS10 or RS20 that they want to unload through AV Science some day. It could be a long time from now, though. I believe JVC unloaded some B stock RS1s through AV Science as well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.