AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a cursory search of the forum and I couldn't find anything relevant. Here is my situation.

I have just moved to a new house with a dedicated room for my home theater. Personal situation had me living in a rental for the last 18 month without the ability to have a good space for front projection. I bought my RS1X a while back and because it was barely used for the last year and a half, it has pretty low hours. I also have a 100" firehawk screen.

Now that I have a dedicated light controlled space, I am think about setting up my equipment properly and potentially upgrading. I use the projector to watch movies 95% of the time. I have not really kept up with the evolution of technology over the last couple years.

I am thinking of putting a dedicated 2.35 130" screen (the monoprice ones seem amazing for the price and with a dark light controlled room, 1.0 gain seems to be just fine). I don't care much about 3D though it'd be a nice gimmick.

Anyway my question is: should I upgrade the projector to one of the more recent JVC RS40? Or even something else? Or will such a projector be a marginal improvement compared to the RS1X?

·
Registered
17,187 Posts
I went from a RS1 to RS40 and here is what you will get..........

-Considerably smoother motion

-Better contrast

-More light output

-Much more sturdy lens (this was a nice thing for me since my subs would knock the RS1 lens out of alignment)

-Fully motorized lens...........this is huge if you will be doing the "zoom" method on your 2.35 screen. If you will be using a A-lens, this is not a big deal

-better/custom masking

-better color with a much closer to Rec 709 setting vs the oversaturated RS1

-3d (While the 3d on the RS40 is certainly not perfect, it is far from a gimmick IMO.....you might be surprised!)

-less fan noise

-FI...........I actually use this a fair amount. I dont use it for live action type films, but I LOVE it for animated movies, games, documentaries, etc....I would not want a projector without it now.

There are probably a few things I am forgetting, but those are the big ones that come to mind. Overall PQ is not a night/day difference, but it is a nice step up at the same time vs the RS1. Awesome projector overall and the upgrade over the RS1 for me has been well worth it! In fact, the ONLY reason I am still lurking in this thread is I want better 3d performance since the RS40 ghosts more than I would like with both blu ray 3d and especially 120hz material of any sort. Wish there was a cheaper 1080p DLP 3d machine with lens shift to take over 3d duties and let the RS40 take 2d command, but its not happening this year from the looks of it so far

Having said that, Cedia is here and you might want to see what all the new models will bring to the table a few of which are here now including the Sony HW30 which is getting excellent reports (3d in particular will be better vs the RS40 with less ghosting). Also, if you get in on a preorder list for a new JVC (which we should be hearing about any time now I would think), you wont pay much if any more than you would buying a RS40 right now so it might be worth the wait

Are you going to use a lens or do the zoom method on your 2.35 screen?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, this is great news. I can totally install the RS1X for a few month and get on the pre-order train for whatever comes out of CEDIA.

To answer your question i would be using zoom method for the 2.35 for now. I might get a lens a year or so down the road, but it's not in the budget right now. You're right motorized zoom would be a huge plus then...

·
Registered
17,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloP /forum/post/20886849

Nice, this is great news. I can totally install the RS1X for a few month and get on the pre-order train for whatever comes out of CEDIA.

To answer your question i would be using zoom method for the 2.35 for now. I might get a lens a year or so down the road, but it's not in the budget right now. You're right motorized zoom would be a huge plus then...

Yes, definitely get something with a fully motorized lens then (or the partially motorized new Panny would be great since it has lens memory). I did the manual zoom method with my RS1 for a month or so before getting my 40 and having fully motorized optics makes all the difference. Lens memory would be even better, but as long as it at least has a motorized lens you will be good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help Toe.

I will wait until after CEDIA to read all about the announcements here, hopefully I can get advice here on what the best route would be.

Either way, it looks like the answer to the question is yes, it's worth upgrading, especially if I'm going to do 2.35.

Now I wonder how much I could sell a lightly used RS1X for...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloP /forum/post/20887011

Thanks for the help Toe.

I will wait until after CEDIA to read all about the announcements here, hopefully I can get advice here on what the best route would be.

Either way, it looks like the answer to the question is yes, it's worth upgrading, especially if I'm going to do 2.35.

Now I wonder how much I could sell a lightly used RS1X for...

You could get 900-1500 out of it if your lucky. Your definitely going to take a hit on it. If you really don't need the upgrade, I would use it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your RS1x is perfectly fine projector. If you have good uniformity and shading I'd stick with it unless cash is burning a hole in your pocket or you need 3d.

New generation offers marginal improvements and dubious quality of lamp. Your generation of JVC was bullet proof.

I am still on my RS2 and having seen RS60 in 2D see no reason to upgrade. I used to upgrade every 4-6 months. Iscan Duo for color mngmt. might be a better option.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonikow
Your RS1x is perfectly fine projector. If you have good uniformity and shading I'd stick with it unless cash is burning a hole in your pocket or you need 3d.

New generation offers marginal improvements and dubious quality of lamp. Your generation of JVC was bullet proof.

I am still on my RS2 and having seen RS60 in 2D see no reason to upgrade. I used to upgrade every 4-6 months. Iscan Duo for color mngmt. might be a better option.
The main reason for him to upgrade is the 2.35 that he wants to do. For that he really needs motorized zoom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.