AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the JVC RS20/HD750 or the Avielo Spectra for my new home theater. My home theater will have a 114"-120" wide cinemascope screen (probably a Stewart StudioTek-130) and the projector is going to be ceiling mounted with a panamorph anamorphic lens sled setup (at around 16 ft back from the screen). The HT room is about 18 ft. deep in length.

I was considering to get the JVC RS20 based on all the reviews I've read on-line but my AV integrator suggest that I look at the Avielo Spectra because it provides a brighter picture that would fit the screen size I'm considering. I've look at a demo of the Avielo Spectra at the AV Integrator showroom on a 110" cinemascope wide screen and it does look pretty good from a brightness, dark level and color perspective but I'm relatively new to this. The AV Integrator had a JVC HD100 on a 92" diagonal in their showroom that I also look at. The JVC HD100 pictures looks good but it wasn't as bright as the Spectra and it didn't give that "wow" factor when you first see it - maybe because I saw the Spectra on a much larger screen first. I haven't actually seen a direct comparison of the RS20 vs Spectra in any reviews and in person yet.

The prices for the RS20 versus the Spectra is about $3.5K ($7500 vs $11K). So this is a big decision and I need your expert advise to help me decide. Has anyone look at the Spectra vs the RS20? How do they compare?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I haven't seen the Spectra in person but just read a comment in a Swedish forum by a very reliable person who did a side-by-side. According to him the Spectra wins in everything except the absolute black level in very dark scenes.

Take it for what it's worth.

I would try to demo them side by side before I make the plunge. It's quite a lot of money...

(By the way, I think the RS20 would be bright enough on that screen. So you should be able to make a choice based on picture quality)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by congtamn /forum/post/17026587

I'm considering the JVC RS20/HD750 or the Avielo Spectra for my new home theater. My home theater will have a 114"-120" wide cinemascope screen (probably a Stewart StudioTek-130) and the projector is going to be ceiling mounted with a panamorph anamorphic lens sled setup (at around 16 ft back from the screen). The HT room is about 18 ft. deep in length.

I was considering to get the JVC RS20 based on all the reviews I've read on-line but my AV integrator suggest that I look at the Avielo Spectra because it provides a brighter picture that would fit the screen size I'm considering. I've look at a demo of the Avielo Spectra at the AV Integrator showroom on a 110" cinemascope wide screen and it does look pretty good from a brightness, dark level and color perspective but I'm relatively new to this. The AV Integrator had a JVC HD100 on a 92" diagonal in their showroom that I also look at. The JVC HD100 pictures looks good but it wasn't as bright as the Spectra and it didn't give that "wow" factor when you first see it - maybe because I saw the Spectra on a much larger screen first. I haven't actually seen a direct comparison of the RS20 vs Spectra in any reviews and in person yet.

The prices for the RS20 versus the Spectra is about $3.5K ($7500 vs $11K). So this is a big decision and I need your expert advise to help me decide. Has anyone look at the Spectra vs the RS20? How do they compare?

Thanks for your help.

The Spectra is rated at 1000 ANSI lumens, which is only 100 lumens more than the RS20 is rated at. Maybe the brightness difference you saw had more to do with the bulbs. The bulbs may have had vastly different amounts of hours of use, plus bulbs vary from one to another even in the same batch, such that one person's new bulb can be brighter than another person's new bulb with the same projector. Another thing to consider is the RS20's brightness tends to hold up better after calibration than other projectors, which may be important if you want to have your projector calibrated. Maybe your AV integrator is already planning on calibration.

You can get a better price on the RS20, if you are willing to shop elsewhere. The forum sponsor, AV Science, sells the RS20 and gives great service and is always worth contacting. Maybe the Spectra can be bought for less as well, but I don't know anything about the pricing on it and didn't find much when googling.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Spectra is in a different league. Build quality, modular upgradeable design, optics, etc.

The spectra is what the ISF trainer I know owns and he loves the machine.

The HD750 is a great mainstream machine, but from what I understand Projection design is on another level. Kinda of like an Acura versus a Beamer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by congtamn /forum/post/17027497

Drexler,

Thanks for your input. Can you post the link to that comparison posting in the Swedish forum ? I'm assuming it's in English :)

Tam N.

I can give you the link, but it's in Swedish.
Check post #484

http://www.component.se/forum/index....0entry129640

Well, it's actually so short I can translate it for you:

"The "upgraded" version of M25, Avielo Spectra, gives in all aspects a significantly better picture than for example JVC HD750 - and I have compared them side-by-side fed through the same source on two Stewart screens, without them interfering with each other.

Avielo Spectra is IMO better than HD750 in everything, except absolute black level in very dark scenes and then only in completely light controlled rooms - at APL around 20 and above, or in rooms other than absolute "bat caves" it is of less importance."

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have looked at the Spectra and compared it to the RS20 and found the Rs20 to be superior. The spectra is an overpriced European product and its street value is twice the RS20.

The Spectra is a single chip DLP machine and has no image shift and in the past the company has had trouble producing what it sells. I tried getting a Demo of the M25 two years ago and never got one.

·
Registered
21,003 Posts

Quote:
I have looked at the Spectra and compared it to the RS20 and found the Rs20 to be superior. The spectra is an overpriced European product and its street value is twice the RS20.

The Spectra is a single chip DLP machine and has no image shift and in the past the company has had trouble producing what it sells. I tried getting a Demo of the M25 two years ago and never got one.

I wouldn't count out Projection Design projectors just because you had trouble demoing one. They make some great machines. If they can get the lumens and contrast up on the Avielo Kroma LED illuminated projector, it could be a killer machine. I look forward to seeing it at CEDIA !!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
congtamn,

What kind of timeframe are you looking at? You might be able to compare newer models soon (IFA in Europe starts September 4th and CEDIA in the US is starting September 10th).

--Darin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the translation Drexler.

It appears that I would not be disappointed with either the Spectra or RS20 but I'm still not sure if the difference is worth the extra $$ for the Spectra. Also, I'm not able to find any info on whether the Spectra has support for the vertical stretch required for an anamorphic lens setup. I just assume it does since my AV integrator knows that I want a Cinemascope HT env. but I haven't been able to confirm. I saw in the Spectra product spec sheet that it suggest up to 110" diagonal screen so now I'm not sure if this will be able to handle the large screen size (114"-120" wide cinemascope screen) I'm planning. It appears that it would from the AV Integrator demo I saw on a 110" wide screen but not sure now based on this screen size range from the product spec sheet. Maybe the demo had the PJ lamp on a highest/best mode.

I know that the RS20 has the anamorphic vertical stretch support. Can someone confirm that the Spectra has this feature as well and also would have enough lumens to handle a 120"-130" diagonal cinemascope screen?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jason & Darin,

Excellent point. I do have a little time before I need to decide. I would like to decide by October/November time frame in order to finish the HT room in time by the end of this year. I will wait to see what comes out of CEDIA and IFA in September.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 /forum/post/17028220

Was that before, or after, you were exposed for posting fabricated test results?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Guess what I have learned...that you get what you pay for.

I know there are some caveats, and no "saying" is perfect. But for the most part I have found it true.

Projection Designs is a unique and passionate company that creates high end quality...that of course you pay for.

Generally speaking those that don't realize that you get what you pay for either aren't aware/don't care enough about the differences the money buys you. Some people just think a Ferrari is a fast red car with a horse on it. Actually they are hand built by passionate people using the highest quality parts that perform better and last longer.

Whether you value those differences/can pay for them is another story.

We often defend our position...which is based upon circumstance, not reality....what we own/what we can afford. There is a lot of justification that happens on AVS, which is OK...we are all somewhat guilty.

But basically....Projection design will offer a higher quality, better built, and higher performing product...at a cost. You must decide if the performance is worth the money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Congtamn,

A long reply but I hope you’ll appreciate the experience of my x2 demos of these 2 units within the space of 3 weeks.

I demo’d Avielo Spectra against JVC 750 in Edinburgh http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/ roughly 2 months ago.

Both were ISF calibrated in a light controlled demo room on a 100” 16:9 unity screen.

For me personally, the Spectra was night & day better than the JVC on both occasions.

The image from the Spectra was great, it had that DLP pop that so many people describe when describing a quality DLP unit. Image appears sharper and super smooth.

We flipped back & fourth between these 2 projectors multiple times, the image from the JVC just looked flat in comparison. The Spectra produces an image with greater depth, metal & water look far more natural on the Spectra. The colour gamut was superior over the JVC.

The JVC has better contrast and this was more pronounced watching a 2.35:1 bluray on the 16:9 screen, the black bars were grey whereas the JVC was black.

When I compared 16:9 content the contrast advantage of the JVC was less pronounced.

SD processing on the Spectra was notably superior compared to the JVC.

The Spectra was being discounted from £8500 to £6000.

The JVC was £4500.

I would share the opinion of gamelover360 & Drexler posts on this thread.

Re Brightness

Check this link for lumens measurement versus screen size
http://www.avielo.com/pdf/avielo_spe...0420-01%29.pdf

For larger screen requirement Avielo offer a model called Radiance with a 300w UHP lamp versus 220w on the Spectra.

However the Radiance is £10,500 vs. £8500 for the Spectra.

I’m fairly sure the Spectra offers vertical stretch function for use with anamorphic lens

Here link to user manual
http://www.projectiondesign.com/admi...sp?FileID=2807

I was set to buy the Spectra however on my 2nd visit I did extended viewing on the Spectra which changed my mind because of 2 commonly reported issues/ limitations of DLP PJ’s:

1) Rainbow effect (RBE) – I started to see this and found it distracting

2) Fan noise - The Spectra was really noisy, especially during quiet scenes in movies which I found very distracting. Unit was several feet behind me.

So for me I sadly had to discount this PJ, I was disappointed as I love the cinematic image it produces.

So now I know that Single Chip DLP is no go for me as I’m prone to seeing RBE. 3 chip DLP is out of my price range.

I then demod the Sony VPL-VW80 (also ISF calibrated) in same demo room

- to my surprise I preferred this over the JVC, the image depth was closer to the Spectra, no rainbow effect and really quiet.

I had no opinion on the Sony and simply hadn’t considered it/researched this unit.

I’m flying to Berlin in 3 weeks to check out the VPL-VW85 and will also check out the new JVC units to see if I like the improvements.

I saw the Korma at Munich High end show in May and loved the image, the specs shown low lumens but the image looked good to me; however again it was out of my league price wise. Can’t recall the RRP. The Korma uses the same chassis as their Optix and looked to have great build quality/lens.

Personally I look forward to LED DLP Projectors becoming more affordable, the Korma has the DLP pop without the potential for rainbow effect.

I believe SIM2 will be releasing a LED unit using some form of liquid cooling, I don’t know if this primarily to reduce audible noise or to allow them to manufacture a smaller unit, Check out the size of the Vivatek unit for example. SIM2 make compact units for their mid price range models.

Like others I would advise you to demo the Spectra in case you are prone to RBE.

I’m sure if you send an email to projection design they will answer your questions about your specific screen size etc.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I think that it is best to view them if possible. The OP saw the Avielo so he knows what it is capable of. I would encourage him to view the RS20 as well. Really everyone has different expectations, wants, etc...

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/17035896

I think that it is best to view them if possible. The OP saw the Avielo so he knows what it is capable of. I would encourage him to view the RS20 as well. Really everyone has different expectations, wants, etc...

Totally agree, the above is just my personal experience/opinion. Spectra is rare.

You would have to demo both directly against each other in one location to evaluate whether the large additional expense of the Spectra is worth it.

If a user were to demo a 750 on it’s own I have no doubts most would be impressed.

JVC 750 is a great product.

Demo is the only way for each individual to make a qualified decision.

I suffer from RBE on DLP, someone else may not- lucky person

I’m glad I did an extended 2nd demo which highlighted the downside of the Spectra (noise/RBE). I was 90% set to purchase from 1st demo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm...I do want a quiet PJ since it will be ceiling mounted in the HT room. I didn't notice the Spectra fan noise when it was demo to me earlier but the movie used had alot of action scenes. I'm not sure if my eyes is experienced enough yet to recognize a Rainbow Effect (RBE). Sounds like I may need a second demo of the Spectra and also look at the latest Sony VPL-VW80/85, if it's available in the USA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts