AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping out a relative select equipment for a Home Theater Project, and I need some help deciding on a Projector. I've only started learning about projectors and projector technology in the last month, so I dont know a lot about projectors yet. So far I have read reviews for the Mitsubishi HC7000 and the JVC RS2 at ProjectorCentral.com, which said the HC7000 and JVC RS2 were the best videophile projectors in their respective classes (They were reviewed nearly a year apart, and not compared to one another). I have also tried to read the separate threads for each projector, but those have proven to be fruitless as the threads are many pages long, and the information is to dispersed throughout the threads.

While both projectors received good ratings, there is no way of knowing which one is better. Further complicating the decision is that JVC has released the RS20. So I was hoping that some one could explain to me if one projector is better than the others, or point me to a place that provides answers to the my question.

What is important to me:

Image Quality, Image Quality, Image Quality!

Darker Black levels

Better ANSI Contrast Levels

Picture Sharpness

Accurate Color Saturation

Brightness, as long as the image doesn't appear washed out.

All of the above are important up to a point, as long as the image keeps a natural look.

Here are the things I am aware already aware of:

HC7000 costs about half of the RS20. - But price isn't a big factor compared to performance.

HC7000 is 3LCD. RS20 / RS2 are D-ILA/LCoS. Which is better Technology i don't know.

Projector Central gives the HC7000 ANSI Contrast of 409:1, JVC RS2 gets 209:1. No Rating for RS20.

So my question is which is the better projector for a videophile, the RS20 or HC7000, and are there any improvements in the RS20 from the RS2? I mean is the HC7000 which costs 1/2 as much, in a lower class of PJs from the JVC Models, or is there just a mark up for JVC? And is there a major difference between these models and even more expensive DLP models like the RUNCO RS1100? If there are any other projectors that have excellent image quality in this price range that you think are better feel free to mention them as well.
Thanks in Advance for your suggestions.

Expected Setup

123" 16:9 Stewart FireHawk G3 Screen

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player when it is released, or DVDO Edge hooked up to PS3.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
RS20>rs2>hc7000 in terms of blacks and contrast

rs20/hc7000>rs2 in terms of sharpness

rs20>rs2>hc7000 in terms of lumens

epsons 6500ub > hc7000 in blacks and lumens, and is under $3k

overall probably like this :

rs20>rs2>6500ub>hc7000>hw10>ae3000 in PQ

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadobhuk /forum/post/15436612

Rs20>rs2>6500ub>hc7000>hw10>ae3000 in pq

+1

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Black level is extremely important to me (even more so now that I own an RS20) - so RS20 would be the only projector for me at this time (regardless of price).

If you look at (one chip) DLP's - be sure your relative is not susceptible to RBE.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to hijack but im in a similar situation but the rs20 is out of budget.

so based on this

a slightly used RS2 for 3800 is not a bad price, the exchange rate kind of kills it though. Would you consider a new Pioneer if it was only 1000 more then the 7500ub? Both trough my local dealer.

Art is going to try and get the rs10 in his review of the 6500ub if he gets it in time.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15436612

Why rate hw10 so low? Below 6500UB AND hc7000?

·
Banned
8,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad /forum/post/15439832

Why rate hw10 so low? Below 6500UB AND hc7000?

+1

Given the "pot luck" surprise you can get with the latest LCDs, the HW10 is being under rated. The HW10 also offers the SXRD smoothness of the RS20 LCos.

I'd rate the choices as follows:

RS20>VW80>VW70>RS2>HW10/VW60>RS10>7500UB>6500UB>MC7000>AE3000

·
Banned
8,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 /forum/post/15440985

Wow, HW10 over the RS10? Could you please explain why you feel that way?

Because of the challenges involved with color decoding calibration. Certainly, there are some scenes where the RS10 contrast performance will have an advantage, but on balance the HW10 offers fewer compromises, IMHO.

I might also amend my RS20/VW80/VW70 ranking and say the Sony's might be preferred if the RS20 was less than perfect in areas such as convergence, color decoding and uniformity.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Okay, I understand.

I am presently looking at getting either a used RS1, a new Epson 6500ub, or a new Sony HW10.

For me the deciding factor will be black level and contrast in darker scenes.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate these 3 projectors in this regard?

·
Registered
238 Posts
JohnSmith,

I think you really need to view them and evaluate them on their own, as you're talking about different animals in the same bunch...i.e., lots of great reviews on the black levels of all three, but two are LCOS and the other is LCD, thus they have some inherent differences/advantages/disadvantages once you start looking at them. Aside from the engines, they also differ a bit in other areas (throw, controls, etc.). I personally don't think you can go wrong with any, but would suggest you consider the other features aside from contrast and black level as those three are likely to be VERY similar.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Markdub,

I think your suggestions do make a lot of sense for most normal people, but when it comes to black level and contrast, that is my #1 pq element by far. I have tried crt projectors because of this, but they all were too much of a pain, so I'm going digital.

I know that no digital can fully replicate the on/off contrast ratio of a crt, but I'm just trying to get the most for my $ in that regard.

Honestly, I probably would be happy with the contrast performance of the 3 pj's, but somehow in the back of my mind, if I don't get the best one, I may regret it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I understand completely...I'm the same way when it comes to researching the living daylights out of HT gear and then going with whatever maximizes my desires within budget! Overall, my point is that you are looking at two LCOS projectors and one LCD. Even among the two LCOS, you have very different throw distances to start. I've been looking at all three too as part of my next projector purchase. I'd like to see a RS1 or the new RS10, but no luck yet. I hope to see the Sony soon at a local dealer. I'm interested in the Sony because of its shorter throw.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. It seems that a clear consensus has appeared that the RS20 is best projector of the ones discussed so far. But I do have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/0

Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 /forum/post/15437315

actually, if you are not budget constraint (as in must be LCos/D-ILA > LCD? If so why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/0

Black level is extremely important to me (even more so now that I own an RS20) - so RS20 would be the only projector for me at this time (regardless of price).

If you look at (one chip) DLP's - be sure your relative is not susceptible to RBE.

By RBE do you mean the rainbow effect seen here ftp://ftp.extremetech.com/pub/extrem...ainbowClip.wmv

I have never seen it in person so i have no experience with it. How common of an experience is it? I assume looking at DLP 3chip isn't an option as they all seem to be $20,000 or more, probably double that of the budget on the projector.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Have all the above posters above actually seen all the projectors they comment on. I doubt it so I'd take their recommendations with a grain of salt. When it comes to black levels the only projectors that will do a full fade to proper black are gamma corrected CRTs - period! We'll have to wait to see what LEDs will do for digital. Now, few are willing to go with CRT front projection (basically a dead technology, but as we've seen with gamma correction there's some life left in it) due mainly to size and set up considerations, but it still offers what the videophile is looking for. Personally I'd go "cheap" since the technology is changing rapidly and many "videophiles" are upgrading endlessly and losing their shirts when they dump their "old" equipment. You need to make the effort to see as many of these projectors as possible. There are probably members of this forum who live within driving distance who own one of the pjs you're interested in - put the word out and go and have a look for yourself.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/15446556

Have all the above posters above actually seen all the projectors they comment on. I doubt it so I'd take their recommendations with a grain of salt. When it comes to black levels the only projectors that will do a full fade to proper black are gamma corrected CRTs - period! We'll have to wait to see what LEDs will do for digital. Now, few are willing to go with CRT front projection (basically a dead technology, but as we've seen with gamma correction there's some life left in it) due mainly to size and set up considerations, but it still offers what the videophile is looking for. Personally I'd go "cheap" since the technology is changing rapidly and many "videophiles" are upgrading endlessly and losing their shirts when they dump their "old" equipment. You need to make the effort to see as many of these projectors as possible. There are probably members of this forum who live within driving distance who own one of the pjs you're interested in - put the word out and go and have a look for yourself.

Good point. I went the cheap route with a Mits HC6500 at a super discounted price and it is a really nice problem free projector...I will wait to see what is availabe in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I went the crt route a couple of times. The one thing that wasn't said about them is that they are really dependent on optimum viewing conditions. I have a light controlled room, but with white carpet and ceiling. The picture gets washed out more than with digitals, due to it's lower brightness and ansi contrast.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
IMHO, if black levels are your top priority, go with high NATIVE contrast projectors. High native contrast will have the greatest impact on image quality.

RS20>RS2>RS10>ALL...

Btw, to those suggesting to hold off and go the cheap route for now, I've tried that before and it just simply doesen't work out. Something better is ALWAYS just around the corner. It's all about compromises anyway, since a perfect solution will likely never exist. Just find a solution you can live with, in terms of its shortcomings, and call it a day.

My 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.