AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first projector. I have it narrowed down to Epson 5030UB or the JVC RS49U. I'm leaning towards the JVC but my family and I will be watching some 3D movies and the Epson seems to be the clear winner here. I know the JVC is not true 4K pronector but it can take 4k content and lens shift. My question is, does the JVC have HDCP 2.2 support? Without it, the JVC seems to only offer better native contrast, higher dynamic range, and a sharpenig technique at 2x cost. I did look for an answer before posting. TBH if the JVC does not offer hdcp, it seems like a cheaper projector makes sense with CEDIA only a few months away.

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
It does not have HDCP 2.2 but many are guessing the new models announced this fall with have this feature. Though, you've only talked about a couple areas where the JVC is better. There are more. It has a far high quality motorized lens, ~400 more calibrated lumens, a better dynamic iris implementation, runs quieter, higher pixel fill and image fidelity in general on another level over the 5030. If you're looking in the right places the X500 shouldn't be twice the street price. More like 1.5x the price. If you have the money, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The Epson LS10000 has HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and a 30,000 hr laser light engine. With 1080P sources its image is comparable to the X500 (there are small pluses and minuses both ways), but is quite a bit more expensive than the X500. You should be able to find one less than $7000.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
In terms of feature set the LS10000 has the advantage, but there isn't a single area with it's picture where it bests the JVC. A few areas are tied, but none that beat the JVC.

I'd say don't buy anything right now, not the JVC or either Epson model. If you want to be sure you have UHD Blu-ray compatibility there'll be several more HDCP 2.2 projector options announced at CEDIA this fall and there will be ones cheaper than the current Epson LS10000 available. I'd also say if you can afford $7000 you might as well save a couple thousand more and get a true 4K projector with HDCP 2.2. From what I hear the street price of the 350ES and 600ES aren't that much more than the LS10000.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does not have HDCP 2.2 but many are guessing the new models announced this fall with have this feature. Though, you've only talked about a couple areas where the JVC is better. There are more. It has a far high quality motorized lens, ~400 more calibrated lumens, a better dynamic iris implementation, runs quieter, higher pixel fill and image fidelity in general on another level over the 5030. If you're looking in the right places the X500 shouldn't be twice the street price. More like 1.5x the price. If you have the money, it's well worth it.
I do have the funds for the JVC. My real concern is I have the funds ro do rhe JVC now but will be looked into this projector for probably a very long time unless I can get a pretty resale amount for it. Which prjector would likely get more for resaling fhe JVC or Epson? I was thinking of buying the Epson 5030UB and then selling it in the near fuutre later this year or early next assuming JVC or Sony brings 4K projectors in around the RS49U price. With that in mind which prjector would likely hold more of the resale value?

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I do have the funds for the JVC. My real concern is I have the funds ro do rhe JVC now but will be looked into this projector for probably a very long time unless I can get a pretty resale amount for it. Which prjector would likely get more for resaling fhe JVC or Epson? I was thinking of buying the Epson 5030UB and then selling it in the near fuutre later this year or early next assuming JVC or Sony brings 4K projectors in around the RS49U price. With that in mind which prjector would likely hold more of the resale value?

Thanks.
That's a good idea. Especially if you want something now instead of waiting it out altogether. Buy something cheaper now if you're looking to upgrade to a true 4K model in the near future. The Epson 5030 should hold more of it's value than the JVC once more true 4K models start arriving. This fall at CEDIA I expect a 1080p HDCP 2.2 JVC model to take the X500's place and then a true 4K model to take the X900's place (their flagship model). And we may see cheaper 4K models from Sony and Epson. Right now is just a bad time to buy just about anything in the electronics world with big shifts in audio codecs and video formats/resolution. I would not spend a ton on anything 1080p at the moment. It's value will sink like a rock come this time next year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Epson LS10000 has HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and a 30,000 hr laser light engine. With 1080P sources its image is comparable to the X500 (there are small pluses and minuses both ways), but is quite a bit more expensive than the X500. You should be able to find one less than $7000.
You are right about specs on the LS10000. My real concern with that projector is I think it's street price is really close to what I can get a true 4K projector. As far as picture quality, it seems like at best ita as good as the JVC but not better. I don't think it makes a lot of sense on paper. It's to close to the price of a 4K but not significantly better tham than the JVC. I was lookung seriously at it though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good idea. Especially if you want something now instead of waiting it out altogether. Buy something cheaper now if you're looking to upgrade to a true 4K model in the near future. The Epson 5030 should hold more of it's value than the JVC once more true 4K models start arriving. This fall at CEDIA I expect a 1080p HDCP 2.2 JVC model to take the X500's place and then a true 4K model to take the X900's place (their flagship model). And we may see cheaper 4K models from Sony and Epson. Right now is just a bad time to buy just about anything in the electronics world with big shifts in audio codecs and video formats/resolution. I would not spend a ton on anything 1080p at the moment. It's value will sink like a rock come this time next year.
Your recommendation would be to go with the Epson if my plan is to upgrade to true 4K? That is my plan. I actually need to gdt into something sooner than later. My wife has agreed and supporting the theater. But she doesn't care at all about HT. So if I don't at least show I'm going to use the room... She could take it over for a scrapbook room or something terrible like that. Plus she just tends to think more about it and decide not to support a project. I know that's crazy but that's my wife. But I completely agree, it's a terrible time to buy. Do you think we will see any 4k projectors eith hdcp 2.2 and dci color space around $5k for late 2015 /early 2016?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Yes, go with the Epson. Do not invest a lot of money into 1080p right now when we're so close to having a good selection of native 4K models come on to the market. Say you bought the LS10000 for $7000 and then in 6 months we see 2-3 native 4K projectors (which most are expecting to see) come out at around $8000 street price. What's that going to do to the LS10000 in terms of value? No one in their right mind is going to buy a used 1080p model for anywhere near it's original price when there are true 4K models out for a similar price. My guess is most LS10000's that are sold on the used market next year will sell for around $4000. Why pay more when for a little bit extra you can get a full fledged 4K model with P3 and HDCP 2.2? If you were to buy one now, you'd most likely lose close to half it's value when we see more affordable 4K projectors come out.

My guess is early 2017 is when we'll see 4K projectors break the $5000 price point. Considering no one but Sony has 4K projectors out, most companies will have a flagship "premium" 4K model for the first year and then we'll see prices drop.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Have a look in the classifieds and see if you can pick up something suitable to tie you over in the meantime. I don't know what the market is like in the USA, but for example I picked up a nearly new X500 for less than half the original RRP earlier this year (I plan to hang on to this for at least 2 years while things sort themselves out regarding 4K). Maybe something like an RS46/Sony VW50ES/whatever the USA equivalent Epson models would be.

Once you've got a (any) projector installed, upgrading later might be easier than trying to convert a 'scrap book room' (whatever that is??) into a cinema room. In fact if it's your first projector then just a cheap $500 one might be worth using to help get to understand how a projector works in practice and what you like and don't like about certain models. Even what kind of screen and aspect ratio that you might settle on longer term.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You are right about specs on the LS10000. My real concern with that projector is I think it's street price is really close to what I can get a true 4K projector. As far as picture quality, it seems like at best ita as good as the JVC but not better. I don't think it makes a lot of sense on paper. It's to close to the price of a 4K but not significantly better tham than the JVC. I was lookung seriously at it though.

It depends on your priorities. The LS10000 will be compatible with UHD Blurays when they come out - the current JVCs won't be able to play them at all. Even though the LS10000 is not true 4K, it supports other elements in UHD like expanded P3 color gamut which many experts say is more important to PQ than increased resolution. The Sony 4K projectors that are on the same price level as the LS10000 don't have lens memory and don't have near the black-level performance.

I agree with Seegs. If you can wait a few months you'll probably get much better price/performance than you can with current projectors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I think that's what I'm going to do. First look for a good used projector. If I can't find one, go with the Epson 5030. Thanks for the help and the advice.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would not spend a ton on anything 1080p at the moment. It's value will sink like a rock come this time next year.
I'd say get the new JVC Only if you keep it for three or so years, by then the 4k units should be affordable and actually might be enough 4k movies out to watch.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
It depends on your priorities. The LS10000 will be compatible with UHD Blurays when they come out - the current JVCs won't be able to play them at all. Even though the LS10000 is not true 4K, it supports other elements in UHD like expanded P3 color gamut which many experts say is more important to PQ than increased resolution. The Sony 4K projectors that are on the same price level as the LS10000 don't have lens memory and don't have near the black-level performance.

I agree with Seegs. If you can wait a few months you'll probably get much better price/performance than you can with current projectors.
I would not rate P3 by it's self any greater value than 4 K resolution. In fact, I would rate 4K resolution higher. Now P3 with 10 bit, I would rate higher than just 4K resolution. Keep in mmd, very few people have actually seen 4K and even fewer have seen good 4K content. There is a clear difference between BD and good 4K content.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think that's what I'm going to do. First look for a good used projector. If I can't find one, go with the Epson 5030. Thanks for the help and the advice.
Answer to the problem is a JVC RS4910 B-stock. We will be getting some soon. :)

·
Registered
19,089 Posts
Your recommendation would be to go with the Epson if my plan is to upgrade to true 4K? That is my plan. I actually need to gdt into something sooner than later. My wife has agreed and supporting the theater. But she doesn't care at all about HT. So if I don't at least show I'm going to use the room... She could take it over for a scrapbook room or something terrible like that. Plus she just tends to think more about it and decide not to support a project. I know that's crazy but that's my wife. But I completely agree, it's a terrible time to buy. Do you think we will see any 4k projectors eith hdcp 2.2 and dci color space around $5k for late 2015 /early 2016?

It's never a terrible time to get into home theater. No one can predict the future. Maybe UHD 4K Blu Ray players will be delayed until 2017. Who knows! Certainly 4K media to watch will take a while to catch up. I'm still buying Blu Rays - hurry up " American Sniper " !

I doubt " good " 4K projectors will be $5K until 2017 or 2018. If you wait too long, 8K will be peeking at you over the horizon! So, you can wait, or you can buy a good 1080p projector now, and get a 4K projector 4 or 5 years from now, after the early adaptor pricing and beta testing bugs and problems are worked out ( by someone else ).

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's never a terrible time to get into home theater. No one can predict the future. Maybe UHD 4K Blu Ray players will be delayed until 2017. Who knows! Certainly 4K media to watch will take a while to catch up. I'm still buying Blu Rays - hurry up " American Sniper " !

I doubt " good " 4K projectors will be $5K until 2017 or 2018. If you wait too long, 8K will be peeking at you over the horizon! So, you can wait, or you can buy a good 1080p projector now, and get a 4K projector 4 or 5 years from now, after the early adaptor pricing and beta testing bugs and problems are worked out ( by someone else ).
This is why I bought the new 4910, plus 1080P still impresses me so no hurry for the next best thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts