AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And they didn't replace any parts. They did a thorough cleaning and software upgrade. That's according to Marek.

Should prove interesting.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A thorough cleaning worked for me too, at least 20 times for each of my decks!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
And they didn't replace any parts. They did a thorough cleaning and software upgrade. That's according to Marek.

Should prove interesting.
software upgrade???? that is troubling to me. If this flaw boils down to a software upgrade -- that means we're all going to have send our machines in.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I am concerned that this is not a permanent fix. Most of these problems people are talking about present themselves after significant hours of usage. This leads me (and others) to believe there is a breakdown somewhere in the mechanics. I don't understand how a software upgrade would correct this problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I just called my Engr mgr contact at JVC based on this thread. He is not aware that they have found any root cause yet, or any new s/w update.

He said he would call over to service and see whats going on. I asked him to send me any engr statement that they are ready to make if this post is not correct.

dave

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible Marek misunderstood what they told him. Hopefully there will be a writeup with the deck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have also not heard of any findings or fixes from JVC and I spoke to them yesterday.

I'd ask Marek if your unit went thru engineering or just went thru the standard service techs. With most companies, standard procedure on field returns without any marked special handling is to uprev the hardware and software with any outstanding changes (bug fixes) and retest. And apparently in the case of the JVC take it thru the "car wash".

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was with enginering. Someone high up in the design department from Japan actually was working on it with them.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Matt,

That's good news, I think. I'm just wondering why they still want to keep my deck. Perhaps there is more than just one issue?

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Matt: Was there a charge for any of this? If so, what was it?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's back. No charge. Have not opened the box yet. Won't be able to until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I heard it was just a good cleaning, and a redue of the f/w bits, not the new ones since they just got for the lock issue that is seems only RIchard and I have been seeing. No parts replaced.

dave

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The paperwork says the heads were clogged, which makes no sense, since the heads were pristine. The Pinch Roller and Capstan, on the other hand, looked like they had been through a war.

I have LOTR DVHS in right now and so far it's fine.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My gut is telling me they really dont understand what is going on. I dont understand whats going on with my decks. So, the best we can do is continue to work with them and over time, hope root cause can be found.

What ever it is, everyone is missing so far. Will be interesting to see what they find with the deck I just sent since it seems to be exhibiting the issue.

What I forgot to do is try the demo tape that came with the unit before I shipped. Now, if they was major pixels, then, ??? What seemed interesting is I thought the unit went funny after I put the SVHS tape back in. (Which plays fine in my other decks.) Again, nothing is lining up again.

Just think of the poor engrs, etc at JVC who are getting pounded. They know something is going on but cant find it yet. I have worked on problems like this before and it sure keeps one up at night.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.