Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this deck under the Professional Division:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/t...&feature_id=02

I did a serach for this in these forums and nothing came up. I haven't seen any reference to this model either here.

The list price is $1,000 which is around the same as the 40000 I believe. For you guys that have the 30000 or 40000 how is this different? I see it doesn't have component inputs (only outputs as the 40000) but it does have:

"i.LINK IN/OUT (DV IN)x2 (4pin S400)" a quote from the spec sheet. Is that just a input?

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You still have the same problem with taping HD sources other than regular broadcast?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Read the HDTV Recorders Synopsis.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm fairly familiar with the "Synopsis." I still have no clue as to what "problem" you are talking about. I have no problems taping sources other than regular broadcast - most of my recordings in fact are from satellite and computer sources to my JVC 30K. I would assume that the newer DVHS would behave the same.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Yes, the difference is the ability to play password protected tapes. And if you buy one of these you will need a license from JVC to activate the password feature. All other functions will work as expected AFAIK.

Unless you are in the film and television production business and will be getting protected material, there is no benefit in buying this machine. As this model is only sold through professional dealers, you won't get even close to consumer street pricing for the 40K.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
what problem?
You can't record true HD material off satellite without that $1,000 169time box.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
You can't record true HD material off satellite without that $1,000 169time box.
That is simply not true. I'm recording true HD material off of satellite without a 169time box and I know a lot of other people do as well. I do have some 169time equipment, but I use it only for computer purposes. For satellite recording to tape I use the Dish 5000 with modulator system and either an HTPC or a Samsung T165.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then what is the purpose of spending $1,000 for this 169time box if it isn't needed???

According to them you do need this to record using the DVI interface from satellite to D-VHS.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Then what is the purpose of spending $1,000 for this 169time box if it isn't needed???

According to them you do need this to record using the DVI interface from satellite to D-VHS.
It records via firewire, not DVI. For D* users like myself, it is the only way to record HD w/ 5.1 sound. Dish users have other options, although they may no longer be available to new customers.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
It records via firewire, not DVI. For D* users like myself, it is the only way to record HD w/ 5.1 sound. Dish users have other options, although they may no longer be available to new customers.
Somewhat unrelated question; why is DTV shown as D*?

The JVC has a DVI input doesn't it? If I didn't care about the 5.1 (which I don't, at least now) will the 40k record off the receiver with regular stereo audio in the digital format?

This is really confusing and I hate to ask this, but it really isn't clear to me with one saying one thing and something saying something else.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
D* = DirectTV

E* = Echostar = Dishnetwork

DVI input -> doesn't exist. DVI output is raw uncompressed video only data at ultra high bandwidth of gigabits per second.

Firewire = 1394 = iLink = Dishwire etc. is used to send and receive low bandwidth MPEG2 compressed data.

The VCR has only firewire input for high definition recording purposes. To record standard definition you can use the S-Video/Composite Video inputs since the deck has a build-in real-time MPEG2 encoder. However the sheer bandwidth of high definition signal makes a real-time high defition MEPG2 encoder a very expensive option (we're talking around $40K) so obviously the JVC does not have one.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I realize that D* stands for DTV, but why the abbreviation?

Why do you need any encoder to go from the receiver to the recorder? This is more confusing...........

If the recorder is able to record HD OTA and the outboard satellite receiver is capable of sending the same HD info to a TV to view, why can't it record that same data? Why does a encoder enter into into it?

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
That is simply not true. I'm recording true HD material off of satellite without a 169time box and I know a lot of other people do as well. I do have some 169time equipment, but I use it only for computer purposes. For satellite recording to tape I use the Dish 5000 with modulator system and either an HTPC or a Samsung T165.
And you are using a 40k (or 30k) to do this in D-VHS?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
HiDef signal = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels, x30 frames/sec = 62,208,000 pixels/sec, x24 bit color = 1492992000 bits/sec, = 178 MB/sec., or 1.4 gigabits/sec. There is no way to send this much data via air/cable/satellite. In addition there is no way to store this much data onto tape. a 120min tape has max capacity of 25GB so you could only get a little over two minutes and the tape would have to be recorded and played back at an extremely high speed.

So instead you send/receive/record compressed data. MPEG2 compressed HiDef signal is only ~19 megabits/sec or 2.4MB/sec. When you need to display it, you uncompress it using an MPEG2 decoder and send it to the TV via DVI or component analog. However to record it you just send the compressed bits that you received off of satellite or over the air to the VCR via firewire.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Again, what is the purpose of this 169time box??

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
HiDef signal = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels, x30 frames/sec = 62,208,000 pixels/sec, x24 bit color = 1492992000 bits/sec, = 178 MB/sec., or 1.4 gigabits/sec. There is no way to send this much data via air/cable/satellite. In addition there is no way to store this much data onto tape. a 120min tape has max capacity of 25GB so you could only get a little over two minutes and the tape would have to be recorded and played back at an extremely high speed.

So instead you send/receive/record compressed data. MPEG2 compressed HiDef signal is only ~19 megabits/sec or 2.4MB/sec. When you need to display it, you uncompress it using an MPEG2 decoder and send it to the TV via DVI or component analog. However to record it you just send the compressed bits that you received off of satellite or over the air to the VCR via firewire.
The MPEG decoder is in the TV correct?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
The MPEG decoder is in the TV correct?
The mpeg decoder is before the DVI/component outputs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.