AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about changing out a demo G15 to a newer SX21, but I was waiting to see what happens when all of the dust settles with the HDCP mess.

But maybe I don't have to wait anymore....

Here is a link to a JVC brochure on Tom Stites site that states the SX 21 is HDCP compatible.

Does anyone know if it really is? Or is this another 150 HDCP blunder?

If so....it seems like there is a pattern here.

Here is the link...if it suddenly gets removed, I have the official JVC Pdf file that says "HDCP compatible."

http://www.large-screen.com/jvc_publ...%20Generic.pdf

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
It is not 1500 lumens either :(

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
It is not 1500 lumens either :(
Isn't it convenient how they come up with a spec for a prototype and then continue to use it after the projector has been redesigned to no longer meet that spec.

Check out the press on the new Dukane projector that is obviously an SX21. They prominently proclaim 1500 lumens. Anybody believe it? Here is the article:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_513.htm

--Darin

·
Registered
652 Posts
How many lumens does the SX21 truly output?? I've always kept in on my "maybe" list, but if it goes too far below the advertised 1500, I may have to forget about it.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus
How many lumens does the SX21 truly output?? I've always kept in on my "maybe" list, but if it goes too far below the advertised 1500, I may have to forget about it.
I read that the spec was changed to 1200 before shipment, which would normally mean that it puts out less than that. It looks like at the very least JVC has not corrected places that state 1500. I was hoping that Evan Powell would measure it for his review that he posted yesterday at projectorcentral.com, but I didn't see it there.

Somebody here posted that the 7200 looked brighter to them. Without a Panamorph a 16:9 movie would use 3/4 of the panel, so 1200*.75 = 900 from the spec, compared to the 7200 spec of 1000 lumens.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
It is actually quite bright. I feel that the 900 lumen figure without the lens appears to be accurate and that is with the color temperature properly calibrated. When I added the lens I measured a 17% increase in brightness which would bring the final total to around 1050 using the full panel.

I would have liked to have had 1500 but I am quite pleased with the quality of the image on my Firehawk which is almost 9.5 feet wide.

Just a few days ago I hooked up my Sim2 HT300 to see how it looked with the new software. I found that I had to zoom the picture to about 4.5 feet wide to get a comparable picture to the SX21 and even at 4.5 feet wide the picture still didn't have the rich colors and depth that the SX21 has. In fact, I was about to sell my JVC D-Theater tapes and vcr because I thought they were too dim, but on the SX21 they look incredible.

I don't think anyone will be dissapointed with the brightness of this projector.....but it is not 1500 lumens :)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Free... which D-VHA movies do you have... I might be interested in them!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
There is one I wouldn't mind getting rid of, Peacemaker. I also have the infamous JVC Demonstration tape that I watched twice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ha!

It ain't on the PDF no more! Says DVI-D now. No mention of HDCP.

I am tired of waiting for this PJ. I'm not sure I believe that it will ever have HDCP compliance and that is just too big of a risk to take knowing the true nature of the Hollywood gang.

Since this thread caused Tom or someone to change the literature I have to believe the JVC is reading it.....so what's the deal?

Why are you guys forcing me to buy a Sharp 10K? Sure, I am only one buyer but doesn't every single one count?

Russ

·
Registered
365 Posts
Evan Powell did his readers a great disservice by not mentioning lack of HDCP compliance in his recent review of the SX21.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Rubman

Why are you guys forcing me to buy a Sharp 10K? Sure, I am only one buyer but doesn't every single one count?

Russ
Make that at least two! I was going to get a G150 (later due to the cost). Then the SX21 was rumored. Then the DVI fiasco hit. Plus no JVC dealer offered any finnacing deals. On top of that are the 30K DVHS problems that tarnish JVC's image.

I bought a 10K.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus
I just measured 36 ft lamberts reflected from a 1.3 gain Studiotek 130, 60" by 45", full white 100 IRE, roughly calibrated for 6500K (but not d65). By my math that's about 520 ANSI Lumens... about 50 hours on the lamp.

William

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
If the SX21 is 520 Lumens, then the HT300 must be 200 lumens.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wm
I just measured 36 ft lamberts reflected from a 1.3 gain Studiotek 130, 60" by 45", full white 100 IRE, roughly calibrated for 6500K (but not d65). By my math that's about 520 ANSI Lumens... about 50 hours on the lamp.

William
The Studiotek 130 is actually closer to 1.15 gain. That would make it about 590 lumens.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
The Studiotek 130 is actually closer to 1.15 gain. That would make it about 590 lumens.

-Mr. Wigggles
Interesting. That means my G90 is putting out 370 ANSI lumens (full field white, 80" x 60", 16.9 ft lamberts, d65).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mr. Phelps,

As long as you just so happen to be lurking here :) Could you enlighten us as to your feelings on the potential of the SX-21 for calibration to acheive better contrast/deeper blacks?

We are all well aware of your experience with previous incarnations of the D-ILA engine but do you feel that this newest model has the potential for substantially better contrast without an unacceptable loss of light output?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Russ,

Thanks for asking. I'm working on it. I should be able to report what I've learned in a week or two.

William

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.