AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in JVC DLA SX21 model. As far as I can see from this forum [maybe] the main concerns off the people on this model are the following:

- DVI maximum resolution (1280x1024, which is less than the native one - 1400x1050);

- noise level (it's not clearly stated in any of the official specs);

- availability (there are some ;) problems with buying SX21).

Yesterday (Nov 28th 2002) I was at the "Digital Cinematography" international conference in Moscow (it was organized by the main JVC distributor here in Russia, and so JVC interests were mostly present, all the presentations were beamed from QX-1 and SX21). I had a chance to talk with Gustav W. Emrich (Product Manager, JVC Professional, Germany) and clarify the items above.

Besides, it seemed that this guy is really closely connected with (maybe even chief of) the SX21 development: during his presentation he sometimes said smth like "I decided to...", "I'm planning to..." when talking about QX-1 and SX21.

And so here is what I've received from the guy:

1. First my question was on DVI resolution limitation. He said that the current 1280x1024 maximum resolution is just because SX21 is a long time in development and some time ago this resolution was the highest for DVI...

There is no hardware limitation for larger resolutions support (I was mostly interested in 1400x1050, the native one). So the limitation is ONLY connected with the current software.

But(!) at the moment the product (SX21) is still in the further development (not hardware, but software) and so they are planning to make the software upgrade in about 2(two) months from now (and 1400x1050 will be definitely included!). He said that even if I buy the projector right now this software upgrade can be installed later when it's available.

2. Second question was about noise of the projector.

He stated the following: the noise level is 33-37 dB. And it depends on the room temperature (it's rather clear: the warmer is your room the bigger vent speed is automatically used and the bigger noise is made). He said that 33 dB is very realistic in 'normal' conditions.

So if 'normal' means cold then here in Moscow I would usually hear only 33 dB or even less ;)

3. on availability: first of all see above - JVC-pro is working on software upgrade and maybe that's why they didn't produce too many items up to now (indeed, I didn't talk on this issue with Gustav, I conclude it from the DVI issue discussion).

Another interesting info is from a guy from the company organized the conference (JVC distributor): it's on availability of SX21 here in Moscow. So he said that 100 projectors of this model were produced in the beginning (= up to now) for entire Europe (which is 'normal'(?) for such an expensive equipment). But the model is so 'successful' that all those items were immediately sold and even their company managed to take only one projector from those 100 (for presentation tasks, they have some orders from people but can not fulfill them yet).

This is more or less everything I've learnt on SX21. I hope this info will be useful and interesting for some of you.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Kostya,

Wow! Thanks for the detailed information for one of your very first posts. Much appreciated!

It's great news if the DVI change is a 'simple' software fix. I think a lot of people are interested in seeing the native rate supported over DVI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
Another issue supposedly with the SX21 is purple blacks.
Sorry, it would be difficult for me to discuss with the JVC guy something I'm not sure really exists (or let's say it this way: I didn't see it by my own eyes).

I've seen the SX21 in work twice in Moscow and both times with different sources: DVHS, DVD, computer graphics. I couldn't realize what is this 'purple blacks' problem. Once I've even asked to run the Nokia test for monitors on SX21 and black levels were just perfect: I haven't seen anything else but white, black and different levels of gray on the corresponding page with scale.

A month ago I've seen the same test on Hitachi 5500. The scale was as bad as on my old Epson 710. It contained a lot of green and red.

As I've said, I haven't seen ANYTHING like this on SX21.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Whoa! Wait a minute...

Quote:
2 QX1s for 3d theater.
Is this literally true? Are they using TWO of these beasts for sending a separate image to each eye for 3D imaging? Man, that must be one heckuva high-end theater! Isn't that a half-million dollars for a picture and no sound?

As far as the SX21 blacks go, I have never seen any coloration to it, either. That doesn't mean that it isn't there, as apparently someone did see such a thing, and that started a spreading rumor. I will specifically look for that when I see this again, but have looked at it three times now, and never saw any problems there either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree. After spending a lot of time in front of all three projectors at Cedia, I do not remember seeing anything wrong with the blacks. That was one area I was critical of.

I am trying to remember but I think it was one person who mentioned this. It's too bad rumors like this get so out of hand.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
In my CEDIA Expo report I mentioned seeing a blue tinge in the blacks. I also indicated that it was very minor and would likely have gone unnoticed if the QX1 and G150 were not being displayed right beside it. When I pointed the blue tinge out to others, they noticed it as well. I certainly did not find it bothersome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.