AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a quality projector (those three are tops on my list) as well as a quality projector screen set up for my home theater system in my new house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

If you can give recommendations on the which projector, which screen, avg price, and where it might be able to be demo'd would be awesome.

I am in the MD/PA area and the projector will be setup close to 20 feet away from the screen.

Thanks ALOT!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
More input needed:

Screen Size and Type

Light Controled environment or ambient light issues.

Viewing preferences,sources, and material.

Do you see rainbows or other DLP artifacts?

How bright an image is important to you?

Viewing distance.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Alll three are great projectors. You should include the BemQ 8700

The SX-21 is a great projector with very silky looking picture. With this projector you are guarannted no headaches or rainbows. In many respect, it is the best technolgoy out there. However, its contrast and black levels are arent as good as DLP. The other problem with this projector is that its not 16x9 (althought to me its not as issue) and the DvI connection is not HDCP compliant. The new HX-1 is 16x9 and it comliant and I think a great projector although it has the same issues with the contrast

The Sharp is a great DLP and is relatively bright and has great contrast. Its a longer throw type of projector with vertical offets control. I really like this projector. Has DvI and is compliant

The Runco 710 has no vertical offset control and it has a short throw although Runco does offer a longer throw lens for more money. Nicet and sold unit. Has DVI and is compliant

BenQ 8700. Same as Runco but no long throw option

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Runco 710 is a re-badged BenQ 8700 (different lens I think, even in the short throw version). So I would also recommend you add it to your short list. I will be MUCH less expensive than the other projectors on the list. Give Daniel a call, I think you will be shocked a how inexpensive the 8700 is, and it's a drop dead gorgeous picture.

·
Registered
986 Posts
daniel when you talk about the hx1 you say it is comliant? is this really something to consider when buying a pj?

and for my real input, Benq 8710 should be on the list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daniel, how is the Benq 8700/8710 and what is the price tag on that?

Is the picture better or worse than the Sharp or HX1?

The room will be light controlled.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
George

The whole compliant issue for now is not critical. The only thing that you cant do right now is use a complaint dvd player with dvi outputs. You can use the Bravo so you have something to use. Even without a dvi player, while its probably a nice thing to have, its not the end of the world. On the other hand, when HD-DVD comes out, if dvi or HDMI is the only way to get HD, then anyone with a non compliant dvi input or no dvi inputs at all will be out of luck. So if you are planning on keeping a new projector in 3 years more or less, then its shouldnt be much of an issue. If you plan on holding it for 5 years or more, than you might have some issues.

The BenQ is very a good projector with a very short and limited throw. Its about 1.4 -1.6. Cant give you pricing on the forum, but the 8710 MSRP is going up $500 (i cant remember what the rep told me) so the street price will go up a percentage of that increase

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.