AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have talked to my HT guy and am now looking at upgrading my SX21 to a DLA-HD2KE. I would like peoples opinion on this machine. All the specs look pretty WOW compared to my current machine which is pretty damn good in itself. Do you have to start off with the video processor or can it handle a digital signal straight from the DVD player (mainly to keep costs down). Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
It is a very nice unit, but at 17 days until CEDIA I would at least wait to hear news from there before committing to spend that much. As far as what it will take, it is just 1080p60 and 1080p50, so does pretty much require an external scaler. That doesn't have to be expensive given that the iScan HD+ works well (and I expect the upcoming VP30 to work). However, at least in the US I don't believe that consumers can buy the HD2K without its included scaler.

--Darin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the chances of JVC unveiling another top notch D-ILA product. JVC Australia gives the option of with or without a scaler but with the scaler that comes with it adds another $10K. I am looking at the Pixelmagic Crystalio which is about $3K-$4K cheaper.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
However, at least in the US I don't believe that consumers can buy the HD2K without its included scaler.
Not sure about Europe, but you can get just the HD2KE projector in Australasia. The RRP is AU$30,000.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.j
What are the chances of JVC unveiling another top notch D-ILA product. JVC Australia gives the option of with or without a scaler but with the scaler that comes with it adds another $10K. I am looking at the Pixelmagic Crystalio which is about $3K-$4K cheaper.
I would be surprised if JVC announces something better than the HD2K, but it does make a lot of sense to be cautious and wait until after CEDIA. Also, before going with an imported head-end, get a price check from AVS first. Others have reported getting great deals on a HD2K (with scaler). It's more expensive than an imported head-end, but less hassle and the warranty is much less problematic.

As for how the HD2K compares to the SX-21: If you are like me and love the image from an SX-21 with the exception of the elevated black level, the HD2K fixes this problem in a big way. People talk about 1080p as being the end-all reason to get a HD2K, but a SX-21 with a good quality anamorphic lens doesn't differ much pixelation-wise from an HD2K. It's the black level that is the huge improvement.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.j
What are the chances of JVC unveiling another top notch D-ILA product.
I'll put it this way. Of the 365 days in the year, September 8th and 9th are the most likely of all those days to have an announcement of a new product. And I wouldn't just look at JVC, but whether other companies offer anything that is worth waiting for or that will change the price/performance in this market. At 2 weeks and 2 days unti the show floor opens I just don't think it makes a lot of sense not to wait that long for information (even if that information is that nothing better is coming). Especially if somebody already has a projector.

--Darin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.