AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been keeping an eye out for a good 37" 1080p set (Still wish I'd had the money back last summer to get that Westinghouse). In any case these two sets are at the top of my list currently. The sharp is supposed to be available online from Costco in March. I was planning on opting for that one. But after a call to the "local" Costco (an hour away), a sales associate giving me a price that they apparently weren't supposed to, and a call to costco.com, I'm not so sure. I figured the 2 sets would be about the same price, hopefully with the Sharp a bit cheaper o to Costco's savings. but that may not be the case. Add in that I'd have to pay for shipping, 50 for a Costco membership, and tax(?) and it's starting to look like less of a good deal.

I can get the JVC for likely 10% cheaper, from Sam's Club which we already have a membership to. I'd then have to add in warranty (which from then isn't too expensive) and tax. It'd still end up cheaper.

So here's what the ultimate question boils down to. Would the Sharp offer enough of a picture increase to warrant a $100+ price difference in addition o added hassle?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Different strokes for different folks so both sets will have fans. I have an older (2006) 46FN97 LCD which provides very good SD PQ from digital sources and excellent HD PQ. My 2 cents recommends the JVC. There isn't a set with a better video processor which is the reason it provides the VG SD PQ and does not require an upconverting DVD player (assuming the player provides good 480i performance which may not include the $30 players). SD and HD DVD performance from any HDM DVD player is outstanding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to refocus my sights on the JVC set. Given Sam's Club's6 month return period I could still take it back and get the Sharp if somehow there's a big price advantage. From what I hear though the JVC has a pretty good picture so it might be worth it to stick with the JVC anyway. Also it has a USB port so that should make firmware updates possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Costco has a coupon for $300 off the Sharp 37D62U valid in March. Anyone know what the current price is? The website doesn't give a price for it, apparently you can't even order it from costco right now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrody /forum/post/13079010

Costco has a coupon for $300 off the Sharp 37D62U valid in March. Anyone know what the current price is? The website doesn't give a price for it, apparently you can't even order it from costco right now.

The price given to me would place it at about 100 more than what Sam's Club currently has their 37x688 priced for. It was believed to be the price after coupon. Though that price isn't final, apparently they negotiate prices right up till when they post it, and they actually weren't supposed to tell me.

I might have to hold off on both for now. I don't have enough credit history to qualify for a card (was hoping to get the extra year of warranty) so I'll have to save enough to be able to drop the whole lump sum for a TV, tax, and service plan and not be broke. You never know when the car will decide to start acting up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Costco has posted thier price on the Sharp and alas, it's in line with what I've been led to believe it would be.

At this point I'm about ready to say "SCREW IT" to both these sets and jsut save up for the 120hz Vizio this summer. Course I might not be all that willing to drop 1500 on a set...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts