Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRW5 $949

SRW7 $999

These units are brand new sealed factory box with full JVC 1 year parts labor factory warranty.
Please note: Final sale.

SRW5 ships from us to you within a few days.

SRW7 ships from us to you in about 2 weeks from order, coming from JVC Japan.

You are not charged until we get shipping confirmation on your order.

Price includes UPS ground shipping anywhere in the US continent. For all other shipping please ask for a shipping quote.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2srw5u.jpg

These are analog machines that will take the component output of any HD receiver allowing you to make a HD recording of your favorite show/movie. Output is component or RGB on a 15 pin connector. Please note audio is analog only.

With these decks its now possible to record HDnet,Voom,ect.

Picture quality on playback after recording a HD movie is excellent.

For more information please follow these links.
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL100250

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL100251

To place an order please call 585 454 1460 ext 204 or 206

or email :
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Alan,

Wow, I've never heard of these units. Are they commercial units?. Wonder why they do not have digital record??

I read the link, but could you please give us your two cents on them?

Regards, Tom B.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Alan,

Great find! Now, if the tapes were not so damn expensive!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Um this guy is something new. Ok so it records component and stereo. What about macrovision? Looks like its 2-3 hourse of 1080i. What does it use to record? lossless transcode of some type, its not a dv firewire direct record, does it reencode it to some other unknown file type? It looks like I could setup my htpc to output 1080i (720p?) and have it record it, then i could use it as a demo at work as long as i keep the comercals in.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nightanole,

These units are actually not new at all. Built mostly in late 90's. They are not digital, but analog recorders. The advantage is they can record any HD source that output component (which most do). No needing to worry about the DMCA and their attempts to stop you from recording shows you want to watch. Downside? 1) tapes are VERY expensive, if you can even find them. The W-VHS format is so rare as to be almost unheard of. 2) no dolby digital sound. Only analog stereo.

For those who want to snub their noses at the MPAA and record what the hell they want to record, this is the unit. I would get one in a second if the tapes were prices more reasonably.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bpearse covered a lot of this in his post.

These are analog machines. Ive had one for years. Just hook up your component outputs from your HD box along with the analog stereo outputs and hit record.

DVHS is superior but there are not a lot of compatible recording options at the moment. With this deck you can record anything HD/SVHS/VHS.

1: yes it only records the analog stereo track but most receivers and audio processors these days offer a 5.1 or 7.1 analog option that works great. Anyone visiting for a movie would never sit there and complain.

My Denon works great with this. At times as good as some of the digital tracks.

2: You do not need to use WVHS tapes. I use SVHS tapes. They work perfect.

You do need to punch a tiny hole in the cassette at a specific location. My advice is for everyone to buy just one WVHS tape to see where this whole is for reference. Using SVHS tape has never caused an issue for me over the years. It takes only a second to punch the whole once youve done it a few times. Buy a case of SVHS tapes and spend 5 minutes going through and drilling them all at once and your done. You will always have a tape on hand to grab for that last minute movie.

I am personally buying two of these at this price. One will go downstairs where I do all my recording and the other will go upstairs in my theater for playback only.

The connectors on the 7u are better built than on the 5u.

If you plan on buying the 5u and will make your connections and leave it along the 5u will be fine but if you plan on moving the deck to different location causing you to keep unplugging the connectors the 5u connectors would work their way from the internal board causing the need for service.

The 7u was built with this in mind and did not have this problem.

These units are brand new and still current with JVC. They are very common in the medical field. Now with DVHS the demand for these have all but died.

I like the fact they offer both RGB & component out on the back.

If you do a search on the forum these machines have come up from time to time with people looking for one to purchase.

With WVHS you can record any HD source but with DVHS we are currently very limited.

The new Voom hd satellite service fer instance, now you can record the monster channel in HD. Far better than any DVD:)

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave

This is like a basic vcr in every respect other than you can also record HD material. Yes it has a timer but I never tried HD time shifting. I will call JVC tomorrow and get a definite answer for you.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have a HRW1 and HRW5 for several years now and I didn't realize that you can use S-VHS tapes. I only have about 10 W-VHS tapes, so it's a good experment to try.

So is the only difference is there is no tuner included (The japanese tuner dont work properly in the USA anyway) and inclusion RGB?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alan,

Do you happen to know whether one can set a timer record (as was also asked previously)? I did a google search and it is unclear whether this feature survived on the US versions of these boxes. If you can set the unit to record the input channel at a specified time in the future, I am very interested.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have the SRW5, and it does not have a timer for recording. I just use my S.A. 3250HD cable box's IR mouse to automatically trigger recordings that have been set in the guide. Works great.

Not sure if the SRW7 is the same or not.

Alan, could you provide more info on using S-VHS tapes? What do you use to punch the hole?

-D

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks DMILANI

I have a call into JVC regarding the timer on the SRW7. Ill post the answer as soon as I hear from them.

D

I used a small drill bit matching the size of the hole in the WVHS tape, small.

Takes 2 seconds and works great.

This was a popular trick a year ago, I learned it from others who did not want to spend the money on WVHS tapes.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Hi-

I'm wondering if this is makes more noise than a typical VCR? I found the JVC D-VHS decks a little loud so I returned it. I'm hoping this will be quieter, but since it was not made for home theater use, I suspect it could be loud.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I remember using D9 on my WVHS deck before because they use the same metal tape. heck even JVC reccommends using D9.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
nice piece

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking at the website on the machine, there's a protocol document supposedly giving control of their RS-422 I/O port. If anyone wanted to, they could create a computer program that can drive the RS-422 port. The protocol having been exposed to the public makes this a reality.

Now, if someone wants me to write code to drive the RS-422 and buy me an SR7 & perhaps a development board with hardware RS-422 support (see rabbit semiconductor for an idea of what a development board is) I'd be willing to trade up some expertise. :D I write RS-422 drivers for a living.

Matt

1 - 20 of 301 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.