AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had initially punched in my serial # on the JVC website to see if my unit was in need of an upgrade after seeing a number of dropouts. The site reported I did not need the upgrade. I then tried punching in different serial #s INCLUDING #00000000! No matter what # I entered, it came back with the new punched in serial # and the reply "your JVC D-VHS Recorder having serial number ******** (whatever you punched in) does not require a software update! So you guys who "think" you don't need an upgrade don't really know, nor do I!! What now? Customer service? And what does customer service use to determine this....the same website?

Houston, we have a problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Interesting. I had some jvc units that I first got. Put in the serial numbers and they said needed an upgrade. I then put the serial numbers in for the newest units that I had and it said didnt need an upgrade.

Hope they get the site fixed quickly.

dave

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
In all fairness to JVC, you have not proven there is a problem with that site. It could very well be true that all the numbers you entered do not match units that are indeed in need of an upgrade. (e.g. there actually is no unit with ser # 0000000000 that requires an upgrade)

The test would be to enter the number of a unit that is positively known to require the upgrade and see what happens.

Joe

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

It would be interesting for you to put in the numbers NOW for those units that were previously stated to need an upgrade. Joe could be right, but somehow I think this is more a problem with the site (you would think if I entered all zeros the site would come back and report "invalid serial #"). If you enter your old serial #s and it reports that the unit doesn't need an upgrade, than either the site is screwed up or JVC meticulously corrects their database for every unit they upgrade (a bit hard to believe). By the way, my dropouts are increasing exponentially. I must have about 15-20 video glitches in the N.Y. segment and now the segment that immediately procedes it. This is VERY weird, it's almost like the tape is self-destructing! I'm really beginning to think I have a problem. I'm taking the tape on Monday to Harvey Electronics and see how it plays on their machine.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I put the numbers in for the units that I have now. Say need no upgrade.

I am not sure where I put the numbers for my old ones. If I find, will try them again.

dave

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Okay, I found a serial number from one of the old ones. It was

13610923. I put it in and it says needs a f/w update.

dave

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dave. It looks like Joe was right about the database containing only those units in need of an upgrade. O.K., so that means my problem is not software based. I guess that leaves tape or a defective deck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.