AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to get a D-VHS recorder/player. I want to set it up via DVI to the Marantz 12S3 (which I will get soon). I've read some threads regarding reliability issues with some of these players. So I have some questions for you:

1) All these players have DVI output?

2) Does the DVI output works regardless of the picture quality or source? Can I, for example, set my cable box (analog) to feed the D-VHS by antenna connection and then have the D-VHS to feed the projector via DVI? In this case, will I benefit from the DVI connection at all?

3) Does the component outputs works with all sources?

4) Would you buy now or wait for more reliable machines?

5) Are there other options out there? WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GET?????

Thanks,

Flavio

· Registered
13,761 Posts
No DVHS deck released so far has DVI. Component and Firewire only.

· Registered
800 Posts
Yes, it's possible. The D-VHS deck can be connected via FireWire to the Samsung SIR-T165 STB, which has DVI/HDCP output. (I think.)

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't have HDTV here in Brazil, so the DHVS would be used to watch DTheater movies and I was hoping to have a better connection (DVI or component) between my regular (analog) cable box (which will be connected to the DVHS) and the projector. So I guess the samsung wouldn't be an option to me.

I don't want to get an external scaler (which I guess would be another option if there is any available with firewire in and DVI out) because I think the internal chip of the Marantz is good enough, so there is no reason to spend money in an external scaler.

I guess there is no such thing as a Firewire to DVI connector, right?

· Registered
800 Posts
No such thing as a simple FireWire-to-DVI connector, no. But why (apart from cost) wouldn't the Samsung be an option? It could be used solely for its ability to provide an all-digital path from the D-VHS deck to the projector.

· Registered
3,085 Posts
The Samsung would be the way to do it.

JVC---->firewire-->Samsung---->DVI-->Display Device

Mike

· Registered
283 Posts
Just wondering...

With an HTPC I guess it is possible to record to disk via firewire and then use the DVI out of your video card to play the resulting file back through a projector. So this is another way of keep it digital all the way.

Would someone be kind enough to explain how to go about this (e.g. how to play back the resulting file from the HTPC, etc.) I guess is would take a ton of hard disk space though.

Thanks

geoff

· Registered
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by geofstro
Just wondering...

With an HTPC I guess it is possible to record to disk via firewire and then use the DVI out of your video card to play the resulting file back through a projector. So this is another way of keep it digital all the way.

Would someone be kind enough to explain how to go about this (e.g. how to play back the resulting file from the HTPC, etc.) I guess is would take a ton of hard disk space though.

Thanks

geoff
Flavio indicated that he intends to use his DVHS VCR to palyback D-Theater tapes; these tapes cannot be recorded to the hard drive in a PC via Firewire. Only NON-D-Theater tapes can be recorded via Firewire. A utility such as DVHS Tool can be used to acomplish both recording as well as playback of HD streams.

· Registered
654 Posts

Originally posted by flavioleoni

We don't have HDTV here in Brazil, so the DHVS would be used to watch DTheater movies and I was hoping to have a better connection (DVI or component) between my regular (analog) cable box (which will be connected to the DVHS) and the projector. So I guess the samsung wouldn't be an option to me.

O patricio poderia tambem tocar outras fitas de alta-definicao alem das fitas do tipo D-Theater. Visite esta "site" http://www.hd.net/ e vera uma lista de fitas DVHS que aqui nos assistimos no canal HDNET no servico DirecTV americano. Eu ja adquiri diversas dessas fitas e tambem ja gravei diversos programas de alta-definicao que aqui na California eu recebo por intermedio de uma antena de UHF no telhado da minha casa. As estacoes estao localizadas na cidade de Sacramento, California, que fica a uma centena de quilometros de onde eu moro. Desejo-lhe boa sorte e, se quiser, comunique-se comigo via email.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.