AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking into getting a projector for the first time and have some questions, I'm used to plasma, but since it's on the way out (unfortunately) i'm going the projector route. I'm having a home built and one of the rooms I want a projector instead of a big LCD TV. The room is 16'10" x 18'x9" and 8' tall. I like the JVC projectors and an X500R is currently the route I'm taking with a Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 144" 1.4 gain 2.35:1 screen. I've found a throw calculator at projectorcentral.com that from the lens of the JVC to the screen will be 16' and Zoom would be 1.90x and image brightness would be 25fL. I'm curious if that 25 fL that is given would be in low (ECO) mode or full blast on the lamp?


I've also been looking at displaywars.com to see what a 16x9 image would look like projected onto the 2:35:1 screen and it seems that it would be 115". Using the throw calculator at projectorcentral.com, that says the image brightness would be 36fL for 16x9. So when watching 16x9 content the image brightness is going to be a lot more then when watching 2:35:1. Along with the lens memories on the projector will it change brightness modes? (if that exists on the JVC's), just to keep things even when switching aspect ratios. Or is this not really a concern and not noticeable?
 

·
.NET Solution Architect
Joined
·
971 Posts

Hi Xer0dIn and welcome.

 

I've got this projector set-up at distance 13' 7" and its throwing onto 135' screen with gain screen 1.0 (Elite Manual Pull Down Projection Screen M135UWH2-BLACK) it gives 24fl. You'll have to use high lamp mode in order to get best contrast and brightness, don't bother with that, you won't see the difference it does great job :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0dIn  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl/0_50#post_24551074


...image brightness would be 25fL. I'm curious if that 25 fL that is given would be in low (ECO) mode or full blast on the lamp?

ECO mode refers to standby power consumption, not lamp power.


I calculate that your 25 ft-L equates to 1100 L, which would be in high lamp power and a brand new lamp.


Have you seen that screen? From what I've read it has bad sparklies and it hotspots.


If possible I'd see if you can do a setup using a Dalite Hipower 2.4, which would give a brighter, higher quality image and is cheaper as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24559370


Hi Xer0dIn and welcome.


I've got this projector set-up at distance 13' 7" and its throwing onto 135' screen with gain screen 1.0 (Elite Manual Pull Down Projection Screen M135UWH2-BLACK) it gives 24fl. You'll have to use high lamp mode in order to get best contrast and brightness, don't bother with that, you won't see the difference it does great job

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24560409


ECO mode refers to standby power consumption, not lamp power.


I calculate that your 25 ft-L equates to 1100 L, which would be in high lamp power and a brand new lamp.


Have you seen that screen? From what I've read it has bad sparklies and it hotspots.


If possible I'd see if you can do a setup using a Dalite Hipower 2.4, which would give a brighter, higher quality image and is cheaper as well.

I have not seen the screen, I just keep reading that if you are going to have any light and not paint the walls black you need something to deal with the ambient light. There are two windows on the right side of the room. I'll get black out curtains for those. Most of my watching will be at night but I'll still have whatever light from the screen bouncing off onto the not painted black walls. I'll check into the Dalite screen, thanks for the recommendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24564141


You don't have to paint the walls black - any darker muted flat paint will help. Greys and browns work. You especially do not want white semi gloss walls - unless you are in an operating room ( they don't make great theaters ).

Good to know, what about a curved screen? With the throw distance and ratio I'm looking at and a large screen should I be looking at curved screens?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24564141


You don't have to paint the walls black - any darker muted flat paint will help. Greys and browns work. You especially do not want white semi gloss walls - unless you are in an operating room ( they don't make great theaters ).


Most teaching hospitals have operating room theaters with a balcony for viewing the operation. Lots of bright lights and white walls. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've spoken with a dealer that would be doing the install and they can only get the Reference Series JVC's so it will be an RS49U instead of the X500R. I've plugged in the numbers into the projector throw calculator on projectorcentral.com and noticed a huge difference in fL output between the RS49U and X500R. I get 25 fL with the 500 and only 13 with the RS (See first post to get other info of distance, etc...). I thought these two projectors were identical except for the gold trim outside the lens on the RS? Am I missing something? Does the RS not put out as much light, or is the calculator at projectorcentral messed up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
There's something wrong with that calculator. I just punched in my specs for the 49, 4910, and 55. The 49 and 4910 come out the same with 14fl in my set up. The 55 has me at a slightly different zoom ratio (1.75 vs 1.78 with the 49&4910) and shows a blazing 27fl brightness!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24577044


There's something wrong with that calculator. I just punched in my specs for the 49, 4910, and 55. The 49 and 4910 come out the same with 14fl in my set up. The 55 has me at a slightly different zoom ratio (1.75 vs 1.78 with the 49&4910) and shows a blazing 27fl brightness!

Good to know, I tried the same thing with the higher end DLA and RS units to compare differences (when there shouldn't be any) and they do the same thing the 500/49 was doing, giving ~25 fL for the DLA and ~13 fL for the RS in my setup. I'm still new to projectors and is 13 fL going to be enough (Assuming the calculator is correct) light output? Should I be looking at something that is more of a "light cannon" than the JVC? I like the JVC because of the blacks, I'm moving to projectors from a Pioneer Kuro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
My screen is a 105" wide 2:35 AT retractable screen. (114" diagonal) My room is a dedicated HT that is a medium dark plum color and completely light controlled. I run my X500R on low lamp. It looks great in my setup. It all depends on your room, screen size, what kind of programming you watch, and personal preference for brightness. We only use the projector for movies. For casual viewing in that room we use a 61" Samsung LED DLP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24577044


There's something wrong with that calculator. I just punched in my specs for the 49, 4910, and 55. The 49 and 4910 come out the same with 14fl in my set up. The 55 has me at a slightly different zoom ratio (1.75 vs 1.78 with the 49&4910) and shows a blazing 27fl brightness!

This is why we tell people that they need to run the math to figure out the FL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24580105


This is why we tell people that they need to run the math to figure out the FL.

This is good to know. So, given this - what value of lumens should someone realistically expect to see out of this projector to use as the basis for figuring out the FL?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed  /t/1525147/jvc-x500r-placement-and-fl#post_24603065


This is good to know. So, given this - what value of lumens should someone realistically expect to see out of this projector to use as the basis for figuring out the FL?

Max of 900 lumens, calibrated, short throw and high lamp.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top