Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found a JVC XV-D723GD DVD on ebay for $120.00 and was wondering what anyone thought about these units. I did a search and found only a little info.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years now. I got it when they first came out. It has been a great player. I use it with a Panasonic RP-91 and I do like the image from the 91 better but I still love the 723.

At the time I got it, it was one of the first DVD-Audio/Video players that was reasonably priced. Also very important to me was the fact that it had aspect ratio control and could properly display 4:3 material on my 16:9 tv that automatically stretches progressive signals.

I must admit that when I was researching and considering the 723, I did not learn about the chroma bug until AFTER I purchased it. Luckily, it was one of only a handful of players at the time that didn't have it. The RP-91 doesn't either. So far, I'm 2 for 2!

Anyway, both the RP91 and 723 are getting long in the tooth but I really haven't found anything better to replace them with yet (based on my requirements and opinion).

I thought my 723 was a great find at $400 at the time, $120 sounds pretty good.

As always, consider getting more input here from others if you have time (auction time limit withstanding).

·
Registered
175 Posts
See this post for info about my experience with the XV-723GD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wesley,

How does the image quality compare between the two. I mean, is it a subtle difference, or does the RP91 just blow away the 723?

I have a 723, and I have become disappointed in the image quality. There seems to be a lot of posterization and macroblocking on the 723 that I don't get when watching DVDs on my computer using PowerDVD.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
It depends on the DVD material but overall, I would have to say the RP-91 IS better. It is probably a matter of different opinions as to if the 91 "blows away" the 723 regarding pictures quality.

I must admit that I do find myself using the 91 more and do prefer it over the 723. When I first got the 723, it was my first progressive scan player and it blew away the two interlace players I had at the time. I guess it was just a matter of time before another player, the 91 in this case, would come along and out perform the 723. Anyway, I would say that I feel the 91 has better image quality that's more than subtle but not totally blowing away material.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bolero
Do you notice posterization or macroblocking with your 723?
Yes, and a major problem with the 723 if you want to use it as an interlaced player, is that the interlaced output comes from the progressive output. In either progressive or interlaced mode, I was constantly having to tinker with the various modes. Here's a review of the 723:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...#JVC XV-D723GD

·
Registered
88 Posts
nekobus,

I don't have to use my as an interlaced player, thankfully. I've had it for close to 2 years now, but I am wondering if it is time for an upgrade. And if it is time for an upgrade, in what direction I should go.

Having the 723 mated to my Panasonic 47wx49 is pretty good. I have notice, however, that there is alot of macroblocking and posterization that I didn't have before on my Toshiba cn36x81.

I think the posterization is coming from a lack of headroom that the player has when decoding the video signal from the dvd. It is a 54mhz/10bit player and it has this problem. I believe the Panny RP-91 is a 54Mhz/12bit player and I was wondering if my hypothesis was right and whether that player, with a "larger" decoding "space" fares better with the posterization. And I know it has a better MPEG decoder so there should be a lot less macroblocking...

·
Registered
79 Posts
FYI, after 1.5 years mine died. The local repair man said that JVC does not allow local repair men to fix this unit because of its "complexity." The reason I bought it is because it does the best job of 16:9 compression on a 4:3 TV that automatically stretches all images. In other words if you have an older 4:3 TV this unit will give you excellent diaganols and no shimmering on geometric shapes when scrolled across. I've since replaced it with a CP-72 and while the colors are much better the progressive is only a little better and the shrink function is not nearly as good as the JVC. I do not believe any player other than those with the now defunct Mediamatics chip could do this function as well. If you have a 16:9 TV I wouldn't bother with it. I'm just tolerating the shrink problem until I can get the projector/RPTV I want.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
willib,

If mediamatics is gone, what is JVC using in its new players?

I am looking for a Mediamatics DVD player for its PAL->NTSC conversion and was looking at the new JVC players. Now I am not sure...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.