AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some clients who I am sourcing these units for. Oh and myself as well.....The thing is that I have been informed that the current units do not have ability to pass DTS soundtracks. Now, I don't know if there are any DTS HiDef broadcasts or if there will be any DTS Dtheater releases. Can someone let me know if this is an issue and is there going to be a firmware fix soon or should I just continue with the purchase and not worry. As we are in UK I don;t want to have to get in to sending things back for updates in 4 weeks or 4 months!

Thanks,

Gordon

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
It's my understanding that the format is capable of DTS but the current units are not. I'm not sure if firmware updates can even add that capability. Additionally, the software currently being released does not have the DTS encoding.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
JVC mentioned somewhere that they will have firmware DTS upgrade for 30K. It is not known when it will happen since there are no titles announced with DTS audio. As far DTS broadcasts, those will never happen since ATSC or Japanese BS standards do not support DTS audio at all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Note also that even if future releases contain a DTS soundtrack, they will also contain a Dolby Digital soundtrack since the format requires it. So there should be no concerns about future releases being unplayable on the 30000U.

·
Registered
56 Posts
According to Widescreen Review, JVC has announced they are working to develop DTS compatibility but that they aren't quite there yet. The 30K firmware can be upgraded to handle this, but you'll have to ship the unit back to them for the upgrade. Widescreen Review also intimates that one of the studios (Fox?) has been pushing hard for DTS compatibility because they already have the DTS soundtrack for their big-budget films.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so far for this information. Can I just ask if anyone has any idea of timescale for thefirmware or is it a case of "how long is a piece of string"?

Thanks,

Gordon

·
Registered
800 Posts
The most credible information (and speculation) on D-Theater and JVC's plans is published in Widescreen Review and on their (subscriber-only) Web site.

I don't think anything definitive has been published there concerning the time frame for adding DTS capability.

I don't think this is worth worrying about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.