AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'd wait on buying this if I were you (or anyone else, for that matter).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I also own this product and cannot recommend purchasing the unit at this time.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Matt and hardwired:

Do you regularly record with S-VHS tapes. A poster in another thread speculated that may be the problem as the tapes are most abrasive. I'm kinda curious if that may be part of the problem for the parts wearing down so quickly.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The JVC30K is fine by me.

Bill

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hate to break you the bad news but a few more hours and yours will fail also. Just warning you so you will be ready. Might want to buy a second one for a spare while the other is in the shop.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Do you regularly record with S-VHS tapes.
Yes, if you call only a handfull of SVHS tapes recording regularly. This is an SVHS compatable machine isn't it?

I used one Maxell VHS tape to record a few NTSC programs using the SVHS-ET mode initially until I started archiving TS streams. And I ran a couple of D-Theater tapes thru it without a glitch on playback.

Recorded TS streams on maybe 8 JVC DF-300 tapes and a handful of Fuji Pro SVHS tapes in DVHS mode and then started having problems. At first I saw occasional glitches on newly recorded tapes (both SVHS and DF-300's). I would rewind and play over the spot and the glitch would not reoccur. I went back to play my early DF-300's and my D-Theater tapes and they were all now glitching, and any new attempts to record resulted in absolute garbage when played back.

Mind you that while archiving using DVHSTool or the MyHD application and monitoring the component output of the JVC Mpeg decoder was glitch free.

JVC Engineering has all of this data along with my deck and a bunch of my tape samples.

And the pinch roller and heads also looked clean to me before I sent it in for service.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Do you regularly record with S-VHS tapes. A poster in another thread speculated that may be the problem as the tapes are most abrasive. I'm kinda curious if that may be part of the problem for the parts wearing down so quickly.
X-Faxtor, that's a complete load of hogwash. The deck is designed to play back analog VHS and SVHS. It's listed as such right in the manual. And a number of people here have had decks fail after using ONLY D-VHS tapes.

AVOID THIS DECK AT ALL COSTS. Do not make the mistake we did. WAIT until next year when the 2nd gen deck is released. It should be improved.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Mike,

I was asking a simple question, and you get all defensive. You're acting like a little girl. I'm trying to figure things out in case I begin using the deck for recording. It seems to me a possible source of the problem is the SVHS tapes. Yeah, the deck should handle them fine -- but if it doesn't, I'm gonna avoid them.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
X-Factor, as has been stated here time and time again, it is not a tape issue.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hey I got a deck about 10 days ago. I'm wandering if I should send it back within the 30 day return window. I did also get a 4yr warranty that says if it needs serviced more than 3 times they will replace the deck.

But still we have no announcement and I was hoping JVC would solve the problem as these decks went in for repair.

It really worries me as I do believe the 2nd generation might even have more flaws as they procedeed to devolop it not knowing about the problems with the 30000.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
They knew about the problems with the 30K and they are not going to release a deck that has the same problems.

Return your deck and wait. You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Matt, no offense, but how do you know that?

It seems JVC is interested in gathering info. I sincerely doubt they did extensive 200+ hours testing on one deck. ?Thats alot of time and to simulate different digital tapes (which we have no clue what they had) might have been a problem.

I believe JVC mass produced this thing and the next unit going to production not having the appropriate amount of hours to test the deck.

Or they added that fan halfway through production, because they found a design flaw a little too late.

The only way JVC can essentially solve the problem is to issue a recall of the deck and replace it with a new unit.

This will cost them, but if they do not I feel Dtheatre has been invented and has died with JVC. Really are any of us going to buy another deck from them if they cannot solve this problem?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Hank, you did not understand what I wrote. They had some issues with the Japanese models but went ahead and released the 30K in the USA. Clearly they did not understand that the problem would become so severe.

JVC will never issue a recall. That would be unprecedented.

Marek called me today. My deck is "fixed" and will be sent back to me on Monday. Let's see if my fix lasts longer than Jerome's, which was oh, 8 or 9 hours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.