AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I FINALLY got to watch an entire movie on my refurb 40k from ECost. I got my new copy of Day After Tomorrow and went to town. I set the audio for the DTS track and prepared to enjoy. I did, but not without problems. For some reason, starting about half way through the movie, the Audio OSD would flash up on the screen for a few saeconds every 10 minutes or so. And then it would disapear again. I also had occasional moments of what looked like a streak of bad pixels across the screen that flashed up and disapeared. Obviously I'm concerned since this is a refurb. I'm going to try my head cleaner to see if that takes care of the pixelation, but I'm not sure what's up with the Audio OSD. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
The pixelation could be dirty heads but the OSD DTS indication is something else as you suggest. That would seem to be loss of audio then resync of audio unless you don't hear any audio dropout. If no audio dropouts are heard then that doesn't seem to be a tape problem. I remember seeing that several people here had ordered The Day After Tomorrow so if it is somehow a tape problem, that should be evident pretty quickly. I have recorded about 20 tapes already with my refurb 40K and used it only very rarely for playback and haven't seen any glitches or pixelation caused by the VCR, in my opinion it has been surprisingly stable. The firewire connection was difficult to sync up but once I got it, it has stayed rock solid.

I am going to use mine as much as possible while covered by warranty but so far I appear to be very lucky. I don't have any DTS tapes to check for your issue. I also haven't had to clean the heads yet.

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not having a noticeable audio dropout, it just flashes up. I've got some more DTheater tapes, I'll have to see if any of them have a DTS track and check if it reoccurs. Thanks.

-MP

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I have the same problem. OSD sometimes pops up during the movie then goes away. Most of the time I get through the movie with no problems but, once in a while it might happen a couple of times during the movie and that's it. I notice no audio drop what so ever and my Yamaha shows no signs of it losing the signal. BTW mine was a new 40K that I bought in May of this year. I own 9 titles.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so it's not an issue because of the refurb then. I'll have to see if it annoys me enough to return it.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
You should have zero problems when playing back D-Theater. If you do, than either the tape is bad or the deck is bad.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm watching a second tape right now to check... we'll see. I have a feeling I'm going to have to send this bugger back to ECost for another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.