Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see this at INFOCOMM, first I've heard of it

Press release here with picture:

http://www.jvc.com/pro/pr/2001/infocomm.htm

PDF brochure here:
DLA-G150HT PDF Brochure

Las Vegas, NV (INFOCOMM, June 13 - 15, 2001)-- JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY is introducing the DLA-G150HT "CineLine" projector, specifically for screening room, production, post production environments and upscale home theater. It is the first in JVC's CineLine projector series, a line of specially optimized products for Digital Cinema applications.

Based on JVC's award-winning D-ILA high-resolution projection technology, the DLA-G150HT sets new standards in small theater projection for critical screening room use. Because of its precision picture rendition, it is capable of delivering a theatrical experience that rivals that of a traditional motion picture theater.

The key to the DLA-G150HT's outstanding digital cinema performance is JVC's clever integration of its D-ILA projection engine with a digital processing system that optimizes gray scale and gamma levels for cinema performance.

Gray scale color tracking is set at the professional NTSC D-6500 to accurately reproduce video, television and DVD images. The DLA-G150HT is the only projector in its class to achieve this critical D-6500 standard. JVC has applied its unique "Video Gamma Profile," whereby black level and color temperature are optimized to track throughout the full gamma range delivering a more accurate "film-like" viewing experience displaying the most subtle shade nuances even in the blacks. The projector boasts a remarkable 600:1 contrast ratio, and an optimum 1000 ANSI lumen brightness, ideal for screens 6 to 12 feet wide.

High definition HDTV images are sharp and crisp with enhanced depth and superior clarity because of the projector's S-XGA (1365 x 1024) native resolution. The DLA-G150HT is equipped with a xenon lamp for a warmer, more natural light, enabling true-to-life color reproduction that comes strikingly close to matching the look of 35mm film projected in a movie theater. The DLA-G150HT is FCC Class B certified.

"With the DLA-G150HT and our new CineLine, JVC is delivering on the promise of a digital theater experience comparable to that of a traditional motion picture theater," noted Jack Faiman, Vice President of JVC's Digital Systems Division. "This is the best home theater projector available in the market -- bar none. The DLA-G150HT will be in great demand in the most critical screening rooms and upscale home theater installations.

Flexible Set-up Options for Easy Installation

The DLA-G150HT offers unbeatable installation flexibility with its zoom lens and digital keystone correction function. Most users will want to permanently mount the DLA-G150HT to a ceiling or back wall, but this versatile performer is just as at home as a tabletop projector. With a sensitivity to the full home theater experience, the DLA-G150HT was designed for low operating noise and quieter fans.

Screen aspect ratio can be switched between 4:3 and 16:9 with the touch of one button on the easy to use wireless remote control. The DLA-G150HT can be connected directly to various source devices including computers, VCR, DVD player or HDTV equipment. The DLA-G150HT is fully DTV ready, and is capable of displaying most DTV digital broadcast signals, including 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080/60i, 50i and 24 segmented frame progressive signals.

Available Only Through Authorized CineLine Dealers

To showcase its commitment to this exploding Digital Cinema Theater marketplace, JVC has established an entirely new classification of dealers for its CineLine products. Each certified and authorized CineLine dealer must meet a strict set of requirements and demonstrate a discerning understanding of the nuance of the subtle yet critical differences and challenges of Digital Cinema.

Full-length press releases and high-resolution photos and color brochures are available on the Web at JVC's Media Resource Page: www.jvc.com/pro/infocomm.

JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY, headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, distributes a complete line of presentation, broadcast and professional equipment. For additional information about JVC's DLA-G150HT or any of JVC's products, please contact at JVC, at 1-800-JVC-5825, or Barbara Brown of R&J at 973-331-1070, or visit JVC's Web site at www.jvc.com/pro.

D-ILA is a registered trademark of The Victor Company of Japan Ltd

--------------------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
496 Posts

This is the projector that Tom Stites was referring to earlier on this forum. It's a more user-friendly version of the Gnn (can't tell if it's an 11 or a 15), with lower fan noise and less heat, pre-calibrated for home theater.

The downside, according to Tom, is that it will be a few thousand more expensive...

- Marc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, Tom, the unit IS calibrated, so I'd expect light output to be lower by, what, 15-20%. So a home-theater calibrated G15 might really be nearer to 1000 lumens than 1500. Just a thought.

Tom Stites, can you tell us which projector it's based on?

- m

[This message has been edited by mblank (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mblank:

Another thing, Tom. I doubt the "15" in DLA-G150HT got there by accident...

- Marc
Yea, it sure sounds like a G15. So it uses the 2000 case, G15 guts, is calibrated, and will have lower fan noise...I may just have to have one! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tom

Then again...I just read the price. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif It would have to be REALLY quiet, bright, and overall wonderful to justify that price.

[This message has been edited by tommyboy2 (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
462 Posts
The scan frequencies of the G150HT is exactly the same as the M2000 (higher than G15) as well as other features (digital keystone correction). I think the electronics of the G150HT is closer to the M2000 than the G15.

I think I'm gonna be hot for this one. Got to figure out how to hide this from my wife.

Tony C

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Retail shmeetail.

Alan will have this puppy available to those who choose for less than 12K within a year of its release, me bets.

Chris

[This message has been edited by CCLAY (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
707 Posts
A key feature which ahs not been mentioned on this thread is that the G150T will include zone shading which will make flat field uniformity virtually perfect! This is a major issue with the present shading system currently used on the G11, G15, G20 series projectors.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Quote:
"1365 x 1024 resolution provides superior performance without sacrificing resolution when viewing either 16:9 or native 4:3 sources."
How can this be true with a 16x9 1080-vertical HDTV image?

If the "chip" (subsitute whatever technical term applies to the D-ILA device) is 4:3 in shape and contains a vertical resolution of 1024, how can an image that only utilizes the 16x9 portion of the "chip" provide an image "without sacrificing resolution"???

Even with an anamorphic lens attachment...so that the entire vertical area of the 4:3 chip could be used to project a properly proprotioned 16x9 image, resolution would be sacrificed with a 1080-vertical HDTV image as 1024 is less.

Also, isn't the horizontal resolution of 1080-line HDTV 1920? Isn't that also more than the horiztonal pixel count of 1365 of this device?

I'm not disputing that this projector, or any other D-ILA will not produce a spectacular image. It's just that it would seem that technically speaking, it would sacrifice some resolution from a native 1920 x 1080 HDTV image.

-dave

·
Registered
835 Posts
When I talked to Tom he mentioned that the 150HT also had improved internal optics. I'm also pretty sure that someone like Alan is not going to get the 150HT, I think JVC is looking to move their product into the HT dealer showrooms and preserve some of the margin for those dealers. I'm not sure but they may spec no dead pixels for this projector... Also the larger chassis allowed greater noise control, I think Tom mentioned something like ~30+ decibels. Hopefully Tom Stites will come by and give us a more informed opinion. He also said that most G15's wouldn't be able to match the contrast put out by the G150HT (although I don't know if that's post-calibration).

Anyways, don't plan for this projector expecting prices in the range of a G15. (yes it is based off the G15, although I think the former G11 and G15 used the same lamp)

Not too bad, pre-calibrated out-of-the-box, quiet, improved internal scaling, better optics. However, I hope the dealers have some latitude to discount the price... a firm $18k is rather prohibitive for my tastes.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think it's typical bullet-point hype. I read it as meaning that they have both high-performance and high-resolution (it is basically the highest resolution panel available to customers under $100K now, right?).

But wow, $5K+ more? I sure hope the G15 is going to be sticking around for those that don't care about heat/noise, are capable of doing their own calibration with the likes of Dilard, aren't interested in 1080p, and are satisfied with the shading caliber of the G15.

That is, people like me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.