AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Directv's 18x24 plus dish and the Channel Master Stealth antenna installed. Running 2 pairs of RG6 cables from the dish and an extra 5th RG6 coaxial cable from the antenna output into JVI's powered 5x8 multiswitch. All the outputs from the multiswitch going into each receiver/tv/vcr have diplexers for satellite and VHF/UHF. The satellite picture looks great on all receivers, but the OTA is horrible. Snow, ghosting, some higher VHF and all the UHF channels don't show at all. Without the antenna connection going into the switch, it looks alot better, but not perfect. Do I need a preamplifier connected before the antenna input goes into the switch? Should I have gotten a better antenna than the Stealth? I live 5 miles from the NYC in the burbs and I have the antenna mounted high on the roof next to the dish using Wineguard's antenna mounting kit. I have rotated the antenna 360 degrees and still get a bad picture through the switch. Any ideas or suggestions? I assume that if the regular analog channels look this bad, OTA HDTV is out of the question.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like your having multipath problems with that antenna. I think the CM stealth antenna has a built in amp in it, so you cannot add another pre amp on it. The way to findout if you have an existing amp in it is---> if you have to plug the coax coming from your antenna feed to an inline amp then plugs to an outlet, then the stealth has a power amp built in to it. I'm using a CM 4221 bowie style antenna and combined with a CM Titan 7775 power amp hooked up to my Eagle Aspen 5x4 multiswitch and it works great. Before I was using a round omnidirectional uhf/vhf with a built in power amp and also had exact problems like your having. I think the stealth and the omni-directional are both multitrap antennas.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
I forgot to tell you make sure to install the antenna power amp coax feed to the ant input of the multiswitch.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.