AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) From what I've read on this site it is my understanding that a regular TV tuner card will not let you watch HDTV on a monitor. Correct?

2) If one wants to watch HDTV on his monitor he needs to use the output on his tuner card rather than his video card. Correct?

I didn't want to waste your time with such stupid questions but I've been searching and reading and taking in so much information my head hurts.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Quote:
a regular TV tuner card will not let you watch HDTV
...a subtle, nitpicky point, perhaps, but a TV tuner card will neither prevent your from watching HDTV nor help you to do so. You need an HDTV tuner card for that. A TV tuner card can coexist with an HDTV tuner card.

Quote:
If one wants to watch HDTV on his monitor he needs to use the output on his tuner card rather than his video card. Correct?
...typically, the output from your VGA card is fed to the HDTV tuner card. The HDTV tuner card then feeds the monitor. This allows you to have one cable going to the monitor. This is known as loop-back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow..I wish I would of just asked the quetion now instead of wasting hours of time..So if your gonna but a HDTV tuner card ~$400, a tv capture card ~$100, and a video card ~$200, you mine as well go out and buy one of the new ATI AIW's which should take the place of all 3 right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not exactly.

The AIW is only an analog tuner, and will only work for regular TV channels. And it's not the best choice if you want to scale any of your current programming.

The BEST setup (for some!) is an ATI Raedon card, the Holo3D card and possibly another capture card like the Xcapture, and a HDTV Tuner card - depending on your setup/needs. There really is no one perfect setup, of course... but you've got a lot of reading left to do yet! So don't go buying anything anytime soon!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
On the cheap (relatively - $450) you could go with a ATI Radeon card for DVD/desktop/etc. and an HDTV card like the MyHD. I think all the HDTV cards have tuning capabilites for regular (not digital cable) and OTA HDTV reception. The only problem might be recording the regular (NTSC) broadcasts as it takes quite a lot of processing power on these cards. HD recording is easier since it just saves the raw data to the Hard Disk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.