AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We watched K19 last night and found it to be very interesting movie baised on actual facts. The details of the K19 Sub was outstanding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ed,

I know I'm "A day late and a dollar short."

I finally got to watch K-19............ wow, I had no idea!!! Way underrated in my opinion.

The fact that it is a true story and the sub is still in existance. Many of the crew are still alive. Great drama.... not a "war" movie as in "Hunt for Red Oct.", "Das Boot," etc.

Just had to post this in case anyone was reluctant to watch it because of some of the rather mediocre comments and reviews.:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Many thanks to "The Swarm" (Rob). I read your review and "YOU win the prize!"

Best review I've read on the movie. One thing though......... I enjoy Harrison Ford so much that I did not mind his "fake" accent at all.

Glad to tell you that you are now at the top of my "favorites"bookmark list for movie reviews.

:)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
K-19 was quite a bit better than I thought it was going to be. Has anyone checked the National Geographic web sit to see how well they followed history?

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really enjoyed this movie. The story was very interesting and the sound affects really added to the drama. When the captain ordered the sub be taken down to 300 meters, you can hear the creaking of the sub's external metal from the surrounds. It made you feel like you where down there with the crew. Great Film!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
More love for K19 from me also. It was very engrossing and Ford's accent didn't bother me one iota. During its theatrical release, the accent took up so much space in reviewer's reviews that I wonder if they even focussed on the movie itself. Fun flick.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, thanks Tom. I am a relatively new reviewer, still trying to find my voice. Please don't hesitate to send me feedback, positive or negative; it is harder than you might think to walk the line between entertaining and informative.

Knowing that people read these things is the whole reason for writing in the first place.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Forgot to mention... I love Harrison Ford also. Thought he did a fine job in K-19. But his accent was not convincing to me at all. Not a slam on his acting, but I was taken out of the flow a few times listening to him slip in and out of "russianspeak".

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Well guys, I am very late to this thread, but I felt obligated to cast my dissenting vote to the general opinions voiced here - I can't recommend this movie. My wife and I watched it a couple of nights ago, and we kept remarking how it seemed to have the feel of a USA Network made for cable movie. We didn't like the score, which seemed forced and often did not fit the images on the screen. If the director had included one more panning shot of Ford looking through his binoculars on the conning tower I might have gone nuts! The crazy part is, Kathryn (?) Bigelow is a really good director, the music was by a favorite Russian composer (his name escapes me right now), I really like Ford and Liam too! This one just didn't work for me. The details of the sub itself were excellent.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I really enjoyed it a lot.

FYI...try the DTS version from R3. NTSC and great sound!!!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:
What did you think of the crew trying to fix the boat? I found that powerful and moving.
Swarm, good point. Probably the best part of the movie, certainly the most heroic. I guess I kept getting bogged down with certain choices the director made that called too much attention to themselves, like the afore mentioned conning tower pan, or the repeated shot of the Navy helicopter sweeping by the submarine (helicopters can hover, right?), all of which seemed to say 'We spent the money for this, by dingies we're gonna show plenty of it in the final print!'. Not trying to rain on everyone's parade, this one just didn't grab me the way it apparently grabbed everyone else. If nothing else, maybe reviving the thread will call the movie to a few more people's attention, so that they can enjoy it.

If you're interested, look for a copy of 'Blind Man's Bluff' which is a book about American submarine espionage over the years. Read the opening chapter of the book, and then tell me if that chapter or this movie is more riveting. I don't think I've ever read an account of an incident that had me as spellbound as this chapter did.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have to say, I didn't care much for the movie. I heard all the bad reviews when this movie came out, but I still thought I would watch it. I think the "reviewers" were correct.

~ Jay

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good movie that could have been much better if Ford and Neeson were replaced with no name actors, their sad performances sunk the movie.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I watched K19 on my XP50 and had all kinds of problems with tiling and freeze ups. Spoiled an otherwise entertaining movie. Anyone else have these problems?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.