AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Kaleidescape still available for purchase? Since they are embroiled in a legal dispute I didn't know if this forced the company to stop selling and supporting the kaleidescape unit. Anyone know the status?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed
Is Kaleidescape still available for purchase? Since they are embroiled in a legal dispute I didn't know if this forced the company to stop selling and supporting the kaleidescape unit. Anyone know the status?
Yes, they are doing just fine and selling product. They are involved in a lawsuit over their contract with the DVD CCA, but based on what I've read about it I don't think they are in a heap of trouble or anything like that. They have a section of their site dedicated to legal updates. You can see it here .

Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I just got in a Kaleidescape system for a client on Thursday. Based on the serial numbers, it looks like they are shipping a good amount of the units.

I also got a second server for my system and will set up a server cluster this evening.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter
I also got a second server for my system and will set up a server cluster this evening.
I bet mounting the server into your rack takes a lot longer than grouping the 2 into a cluster via the web UI. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I don't have the rack yet for my sever, but clustering it took less time than getting it out of the box, which took less time than taking it up the stairs and into the theater. I took a nice photo of the servers sitting there - I will have to post it I suppose.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You gotta love a product that just works. As advertised and even better in several cases. No hassles, no cursing at the technology, no wife irritation because it crashes several times a day or an interface that is difficult to learn. These guys are doing things the right way.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Very impressive collection of high end technology Mr. P.

I have been putting off my MAX system for a few months now. It is said to integrate better with the AMX system then the Kscape.

Are you using a Crestron System?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Joe,

Thank you. I will be putting in a Crestron system when my new theater is finished. I have a 2.35:1 Screen Research screen with 4 way adjustable masking and will be integrating that with the Kaleidescape's absolute aspect ratio, as well as tying it into lighting control and the scaler.

The MAX should integrate well with the AMX system since they built it, but I don't really know how it can integrate better than the Kaleidescape without basically saying that AMX cannot handle third party hardware as well as Crestron can. If AMX is sufficiently robust, then it should handle Kaleidescape as well as the MAX.

If you haven't already committed on a system, you really should look at the Kaleidescape. They have the best user interface around and will be extending that into the music realm in the next month or two.

My contracter is coming over tonight to do a walk through of the room I will be converting into the theater and I hope to start construction within a couple weeks and be running by Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The end result of the integration will be the same. I was talking about less programming required for the MAX using an AMX system. I thought Kscape already does music?. I guess there is the one benefit of the MAX. Although I use internet music services for unlimted tunes.

What are you using for Lighting?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Joe,

Kaleidescape will be rolling out their music support this year and I would expect it to debut at CEDIA. This is going to be a free upgrade to existing owners of the Kaleidescape system. It is a lot of work to roll out a new service, since Kaleidescape has their own data servers for the meta data. It is substantially more accurate than CDDB/Gracenote will likely ever be, since user contributions are historically shown to be filled with errors.

I will be using a Lutron GrafikEye for lighting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.