AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 6441 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Actually it is part crystal ball.

Here is my prediction.

1- integrating hdmi bridge between strato and legacy.
2- Paramount Pictures HDR.
3- Disney (this is pure Crystal ball).

If i don't get it right , oh well, if i do, you guys buy my dinner at red lobster.:D
If you get all three right (and I think the first one's a given), then I'll invite you over this side of the pond to install a Barco Thor ;) AND buy you dinner at the Red Lobster (though I'd have to come to you for that :).

Seriously though, don't think you'll be too far off.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
For what it's worth, always feel free to give Kaleidescape a phone call or e-mail with your comments. They really do listen to what we have to say and have always been awesome to talk to. Amazing product support where you can actually talk to a real live person without having to wade through some awful menu tree. They've even contacted me (as a dealer) to ask for honest feedback. They do listen and they do try their best to address our desires. Great company that I hope really takes off. Not just because I have a huge investment in their stuff, but because I truly believe that it is the best product of its kind on the market with the best user experience by far. Too bad they've had so many oddball issues with the studios, but I don't blame Kscape. They really are trying their best. Funny enough, I'm hoping to meet with a Hollywood exec next month who's a customer of mine for a completely unrelated project, and I'm hoping to have a frank conversation with them about Kaleidescape and ask them what the deal is? They participate, but not all of their content is on there. Not sure why. Would love to hear their side of the story.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Funny enough, I'm hoping to meet with a Hollywood exec next month who's a customer of mine for a completely unrelated project, and I'm hoping to have a frank conversation with them about Kaleidescape and ask them what the deal is? They participate, but not all of their content is on their. Not sure why. Would love to hear their side of the story.
If they're from one of the studios that doesn't fully support UV/DMA on K, please push that. We need digital rights to all of our content in this day and age.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,305
Someone let me know when Battleship hdr w/atmos/dts-x comes out. I'm coming up to the lab, to see if it is on the slab (15 times a day) and I shiver with anticip....ation.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
1) Start playing a movie on your Strato, such as a 4K HDR title.

2) Browse to the IP address of your Strato with a web browser, e.g. 192.168.1.1

3) At the top, click on "Settings" + "Components".

4) In the bottom left-hand corner of that window, click "Settings".

5) Click "Show primary HDMI port capabilities and status".

This will display information about the connection between your display/projector and Strato. Information will change depending on the title you are playing.
If this doesn't work, you should contact customer service off of https://www.kaleidescape.com/.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Is anyone using Strato along with Premiere system in the same home network and using K app to access both?
I recently installed Strato in my home which already had Premiere . These are installed as two separate systems . I can easily toggle between the two from web browser interface (my-kaleidescape) . But K app only connects to my older Premiere system . There is no option in the app to change the system ?

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is anyone using Strato along with Premiere system in the same home network and using K app to access both?
I recently installed Strato in my home which already had Premiere . These are installed as two separate systems . I can easily toggle between the two from web browser interface (my-kaleidescape) . But K app only connects to my older Premiere system . There is no option in the app to change the system ?

Thanks
I am using both systems. There is only one way to switch systems using the K app.
Close you K app.
Go to Settings, scroll down until you find the Kaleidescape app and in there switch the "First time setup" to on.
Leave settings.
When you open the K app again you will have to press Connect to my Kaleidescape.
Then you will see both your systems sorted by S/N. Choose which one you wish to access.

Same process again if you want to switch systems. I have heard that K is working on a solution but as usual we do not have any indication on when this will happen.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Since Friday the store has been updated and there is a new feature that breaks out audio tracks(FINALLY!), subtitles and special features by media quality.

LUCY as an example:

4K HDR
English (Dolby TrueHD Atmos)
English (Dolby Digital 5.1)

BLU-RAY QUALITY
English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)
Spanish (DTS 5.1)
French (DTS 5.1)
English (Dolby Digital Stereo)

DVD QUALITY
English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)
French (Dolby Digital 5.1)
English (Dolby Digital Stereo)

A new studio has also been added: Oscilloscope Pictures

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hi all,

I've been long considering Kscape. With the new studios added and hopefully more content coming, it might be time. My intention would to be a Strato at a minimum. I may likely add an Alto (perhaps diskless) mostly to be able to do disc to digital. It seems like K lets you D2D a lot more movies than VUDU does and far more recent releases as well. If I go full in, I may get a disc server as well. I have a few questions about particulars of how stuff works if any of you can help me understand?

1. I assume the disc drive in the Alto allows you to D2D by inserting a disc and selecting the option on the UI?

2. It is the same $2 HD to HD or $5 DVD to HD as VUDU?

3. Using the Alto, can you insert discs, add them to your movie, but set the location as the disc? So if you go to play them, you just get a prompt to insert the disc into the Alto and it plays it from that drive?

4. With regards to downloaded movies, does the OS manage space for you? Like if the drive is full and you request a new download, does it automatically delete the oldest played item? Can you protect movies from deletion?

5. To watch movies in HDR, but also want to watch the special features, it seems like SF are part of the HD version. Do you have to DL the whole HD version to see the SFs in addition to DLing the HDR version?

6. Such a shame that DMA doesn't integrate with K. How do people approach Disney? Do you load Disney discs into the server? Rebuy content?

7. Can you have only 1 disc server per setup?

Thanks! I'll sure I'll have some more. Excited to find this thread.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hi all,

I've been long considering Kscape. With the new studios added and hopefully more content coming, it might be time. My intention would to be a Strato at a minimum. I may likely add an Alto (perhaps diskless) mostly to be able to do disc to digital. It seems like K lets you D2D a lot more movies than VUDU does and far more recent releases as well. If I go full in, I may get a disc server as well. I have a few questions about particulars of how stuff works if any of you can help me understand?

1. I assume the disc drive in the Alto allows you to D2D by inserting a disc and selecting the option on the UI?

2. It is the same $2 HD to HD or $5 DVD to HD as VUDU?

3. Using the Alto, can you insert discs, add them to your movie, but set the location as the disc? So if you go to play them, you just get a prompt to insert the disc into the Alto and it plays it from that drive?

4. With regards to downloaded movies, does the OS manage space for you? Like if the drive is full and you request a new download, does it automatically delete the oldest played item? Can you protect movies from deletion?

5. To watch movies in HDR, but also want to watch the special features, it seems like SF are part of the HD version. Do you have to DL the whole HD version to see the SFs in addition to DLing the HDR version?

6. Such a shame that DMA doesn't integrate with K. How do people approach Disney? Do you load Disney discs into the server? Rebuy content?

7. Can you have only 1 disc server per setup?

Thanks! I'll sure I'll have some more. Excited to find this thread.
I'll have a stab at some of them - hopefully others will chip in to fill in the blanks

1: Yes

2: No - $5.99 for Bluray; $15.99 for UHD/HDR, don't know cost for DVD

3: Not certain, but don't think there is any requirement to 'set a location' - the title will be added to your library and you will be prompted to insert disc fro playback.

4: You are only able to download up to the capacity of the drive - it manages the capacity, but doesn't delete anything unless instructed by you. If you haven't sufficient space - either you create it or you purchase additional capacity, either with another player (with storage) or a Terra server.

5: I would guess so - haven't come across any way to do a partial download - it's been all or nothing.

6: No idea - I just load my discs into the Vault and play from there. I think there are/were issues with the earlier Kscape systems where you have to make a choice on how you consume the content, either from the store or via the player/server. Someone more knowledgeable will pitch in.

7: I think the maximum is 2 per system.

I'd hold back on any decision to include a Vault, unless your only intending to use an Alto as your playback device. At this time the Strato cannot integrate with the Vault to playback bluray discs. It was hoped that might come, but there have been some comments recently that this might not materialise.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I'll have a stab at some of them - hopefully others will chip in to fill in the blanks

2: No - $5.99 for Bluray; $15.99 for UHD/HDR, don't know cost for DVD

4: You are only able to download up to the capacity of the drive - it manages the capacity, but doesn't delete anything unless instructed by you. If you haven't sufficient space - either you create it or you purchase additional capacity, either with another player (with storage) or a Terra server.

I'd hold back on any decision to include a Vault, unless your only intending to use an Alto as your playback device. At this time the Strato cannot integrate with the Vault to playback bluray discs. It was hoped that might come, but there have been some comments recently that this might not materialise.
Wow, $5.99 for HD to HD kind of sucks. Much more than VUDU. That throws some of my value calculations off by a good margin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you have unlimited downloads of content you own rights to in the store? So, you should be able to buy a single Strato and use it in a download/watch/delete and repeat use case? I don't need my entire library resident locally on Terra servers. I'm going to get 500/50 internet here next month, so downloading a movie won't take long at all. I'd plan to keep a collection of favorites plus a number of unwatched movies resident all the time, but then delete watch once stuff to make room for new, ready to watch movies. The OS should be able to manage that for you with some good coding and rules.

If I did the Alto for D2D and a disc vault, then I'll look to get the new switch device coming soon and use it all as a single integrated deal. It's a lot more money though. And I need to do more analysis to see if 320 slots is enough to cover all the movies I'd want have present in my UI that are not in the store.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Wow, $5.99 for HD to HD kind of sucks. Much more than VUDU. That throws some of my value calculations off by a good margin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you have unlimited downloads of content you own rights to in the store? So, you should be able to buy a single Strato and use it in a download/watch/delete and repeat use case? I don't need my entire library resident locally on Terra servers. I'm going to get 500/50 internet here next month, so downloading a movie won't take long at all. I'd plan to keep a collection of favorites plus a number of unwatched movies resident all the time, but then delete watch once stuff to make room for new, ready to watch movies. The OS should be able to manage that for you with some good coding and rules.

If I did the Alto for D2D and a disc vault, then I'll look to get the new switch device coming soon and use it all as a single integrated deal. It's a lot more money though. And I need to do more analysis to see if 320 slots is enough to cover all the movies I'd want have present in my UI that are not in the store.

Nothing to stop a watch/delete/replace strategy AFAIK, I've actually been considering that myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Thanks
I am using both systems. There is only one way to switch systems using the K app.
Close you K app.
Go to Settings, scroll down until you find the Kaleidescape app and in there switch the "First time setup" to on.
Leave settings.
When you open the K app again you will have to press Connect to my Kaleidescape.
Then you will see both your systems sorted by S/N. Choose which one you wish to access.

Same process again if you want to switch systems. I have heard that K is working on a solution but as usual we do not have any indication on when this will happen.
That's disappointing . There should an easy fix in their app to toggle between the systems . Hopefully they can do it soon

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
That's disappointing . There should an easy fix in their app to toggle between the systems . Hopefully they can do it soon
Given the discussions, it seems clear they will have a solution they will be showing at Cedia that integrates Premier/Encore platforms. There will be a switch which you will feed both HDMI outs into. Using the Strato as the primary interface, the system will switch the output coming out of the switch to whatever system the movie is stored on. They are working on a video to demonstrate this. SJ

·
Premium Member
10,787 Posts
I'm going to get 500/50 internet here next month, so downloading a movie won't take long at all.
I could be wrong about this but I was under the impression that the max download speed you will get from K is about 100. I say that because when my Alto had to be completely replaced, I had K re-downlaod all of my movies while they had the new Alto in their shop. The downloads were at about 100.

2301 - 2320 of 6441 Posts