AVS Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 6414 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I could be wrong about this but I was under the impression that the max download speed you will get from K is about 100. I say that because when my Alto had to be completely replaced, I had K re-downlaod all of my movies while they had the new Alto in their shop. The downloads were at about 100.
I have gotten 150 recently on a couple of movies.... SJ

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I could be wrong about this but I was under the impression that the max download speed you will get from K is about 100. I say that because when my Alto had to be completely replaced, I had K re-downlaod all of my movies while they had the new Alto in their shop. The downloads were at about 100.
That's fine. I have 60 down right now. On new contract, my options are 10, 100, or 500. Want the 500 anyway. It'll ensure I get the max that K could give me, if I buy in. Plus I can DL at full capacity from them and still have plenty of bandwidth left over. At 60 right now, I find that DLing anything saturates the connection and makes any other surfing or use bog down.

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
I said at cedia 15: You can take 3D from me when you rip it off my cold dead hands. How the Strato HDR atmos has changed my views now at the Holiday in Express Lab :D
So, let me see if I have this straight. You are now saying that 3D video ....... OUT. 3D audio (with no less than 4 bazillion speakers) AND HDR ........... IN

I would most certainly agree that 3D audio and a great picture far out trumps 3D video .... but then again, except in the 50's when the first 3D movies hit the screen, I was NEVER a fan.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Able to download a HD movie in 50 minutes.
Lucky dog! With my town's pokey internet it takes me several hours. 6-8 hours for a UHD movie. BUT, that's exactly why I prefer Kscape over standard streaming. Just let it download overnight and then it's perfect. Versus say Netflix, where I put up with a long intro of blurry video before the buffering catches up. Then it bounces back and forth randomly between quasi-HD and SD. And I can forget about 4K streaming! Even YouTube often defaults to 144p. FML. :(

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
What is K's backup plan for Alto or Strato System Crashes

While this situation occurred on my Alto, the same questions would arise on a Strato.

When I originally got my Alto, I used it to catalog every movie we had as I had previously used a system for doing such (about 700 or 800 if I recall) but only loaded about 120 on the Alto and another 100 or so on the DV700.

When my Alto crashed, it was sent to K for repair but ultimately required full replacement. And because they had much higher download speeds than I did they agreed to re-download all of my movies which I appreciated. This occurred several months ago.

But what I unfortunately discovered last night when I gave my iPad to my granddaughter to search for a movie, is that NONE of the 700 "cataloged-but not stored" movies are on my system.

I sure hope K has backup for what was cataloged on my system otherwise we are talking about MANY MANY hours of re-doing all of that work. My guess is they don't because when they re-downloaded my stored movies, they had to ask me what was on it?????

This, unfortunately, begs the very, very critical question for every Alto, and I assume Strato, users. What is the K answer to system crashes, which while maybe very infrequent, are absolutely inevitable? What is the process for getting our cataloged movies back on our system? What is the process for getting our stored movies back on the system? Re-downloading hundreds of movies? Re-cataloging maybe 1000's of movies? Does not sound like a very reasonable plan to me.

We know K is involved in the cataloging of movies since their system looks up all of the data of the inserted disc. Do they not keep a record, by customer, of that data so that they could allow me to download the cataloged file? That would be a LOT more efficient and much less time consuming than standing by the system and feeding hundreds or thousands of discs and waiting the time for the process to complete.

Looking for some feedback on this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I thought the cataloging was tied to an email/overall system which can have multiple components (I have 2 Altos and 2 Stratos). The system and store knows whether I own the movie in UHD quality download, HD quality download, DVD quality download, bluray disk, DVD disk. In the case of the last two for the Alto, whether they are in the DV700 or need to insert. The Strato shows DVDs also in the DV700. If a component fails, this should not change. Wonder if they wiped out your entire cataglog because of only having one component or somehow a mistake was made. If I lose a component, it could be replaced and I could look at the store to see what is not downloaded to my system. I have done this as early on I downloaded a ton of stuff when they briefly closed and stored on my Stratos. Then, later after adding Altos, I deleted the HD quality movies from my Stratos so they would default to download to my Altos. Did this to maximize space for UHD/HDR movies which can only go to Stratos. SJ

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
While this situation occurred on my Alto, the same questions would arise on a Strato.

When I originally got my Alto, I used it to catalog every movie we had as I had previously used a system for doing such (about 700 or 800 if I recall) but only loaded about 120 on the Alto and another 100 or so on the DV700.

When my Alto crashed, it was sent to K for repair but ultimately required full replacement. And because they had much higher download speeds than I did they agreed to re-download all of my movies which I appreciated. This occurred several months ago.

But what I unfortunately discovered last night when I gave my iPad to my granddaughter to search for a movie, is that NONE of the 700 "cataloged-but not stored" movies are on my system.

I sure hope K has backup for what was cataloged on my system otherwise we are talking about MANY MANY hours of re-doing all of that work. My guess is they don't because when they re-downloaded my stored movies, they had to ask me what was on it?????

This, unfortunately, begs the very, very critical question for every Alto, and I assume Strato, users. What is the K answer to system crashes, which while maybe very infrequent, are absolutely inevitable? What is the process for getting our cataloged movies back on our system? What is the process for getting our stored movies back on the system? Re-downloading hundreds of movies? Re-cataloging maybe 1000's of movies? Does not sound like a very reasonable plan to me.

We know K is involved in the cataloging of movies since their system looks up all of the data of the inserted disc. Do they not keep a record, by customer, of that data so that they could allow me to download the cataloged file? That would be a LOT more efficient and much less time consuming than standing by the system and feeding hundreds or thousands of discs and waiting the time for the process to complete.

Looking for some feedback on this issue.

Have you contacted KScape about this and heard anything back?. Not sure your use case is generally how most users have their system set-up or for that matter how KScape expect someone to use their system, but that said you were able to take advantage of it to catalogue your discs, even if they weren't physically available to you from your Alto. Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect a method of backup. Interesting one and one I hope you get a resolution to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
@audioguy - did you get any feedback on your cataloguing issue?
I've been entertaining a granddaughter for the last few days so I have not called K. The only thing I did prior to that was to post the same issue on the K user forum.

I will send an email to the guy I worked with to replace my Alto.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Woohoo! Alien:Covenant has just been dropped into K store! 2 weeks before BD release! (one of my favorite things about Kscape) Even better is that the entire series has a sale going on. Tempting to go buy the entire collection. Now I just wish that we got the 4K versions of Prometheus and Covenant, both of which are/will be available on 4K Blu-Ray. Still getting it either way. Will FINALLY get to watch it since I missed it in theaters. :D

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Woohoo! Alien:Covenant has just been dropped into K store! 2 weeks before BD release! (one of my favorite things about Kscape) Even better is that the entire series has a sale going on. Tempting to go buy the entire collection. Now I just wish that we got the 4K versions of Prometheus and Covenant, both of which are/will be available on 4K Blu-Ray. Still getting it either way. Will FINALLY get to watch it since I missed it in theaters. :D
Yeah wish they had the 4K version and even the bluray version with 7.1 sound,(the K download is 5.1), but I also ordered it from K. Let's all enjoy! SJ

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Kscape's announcement of the early availability of Alien: Covenant disappointed me. In a couple of weeks, the UHD HDR Atmos disk will be released but the Kscape offering has only 1080P video and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio and for the same price as the UHD HDR Atmos version will cost from Amazon. Very disappointing.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,337 (Edited)
This proves what I have been saying since 2013. That movies mixed in Atmos for the cinema can be very nicely reconstituted from 5.1 using a good up-mixer Neury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unrelated, I plug FILMMIXER's RE RECORD atmos mix work on the UNDERWORLD EVOLUTION in an upcoming Channel Sufficiency marketing piece. Its a K scene in a nordic cave.

"We focus on two core competences, catering in extreme overcompensation the right side of your brain, what ensues is a new level of envelopment defying your wildest imagination, at first corpusculaire in your face, next moment the object is childishly encircling you gently grazing the back of your neck*. A changeling’s sudden thundurus aggrandization into a Lycan shocks you from your right back, it is an animated multi-trajectorial surreal choreography of full blown sound that is clearly understood by the brain, organically without a hint of fatigue, perfectly natural sounding. "

I have never heard aggrandization as a mixing technique before, boy he really invented that, also great use of width channels. Another example of atmos gold hidden in a green tomato.:)

gently grazing the back of your neck*. *I heard this on Alien Covenant a few times yesterday. This is the first time i do hear the effect from dts-hd. My previous 3 scenes in DTS-HD for back and top channel Neury Virtual Atmos soundfield reconstitution are: Doctor Strange (welcome to the astral world), sherlock holmes (meat packing scene), and Salt (trying to get into the white house basement comand room by shooting bulletproof glass) the dts-hd secondary track sounds more like a machine gun than the atmos track , but that effect is for someone else to figure. TMy little pearls of wisdom for this morning.;)

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Kscape's announcement of the early availability of Alien: Covenant disappointed me. In a couple of weeks, the UHD HDR Atmos disk will be released but the Kscape offering has only 1080P video and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio and for the same price as the UHD HDR Atmos version will cost from Amazon. Very disappointing.
It is strange. It's obviously above my pay grade, but I can't help but wonder why it's so hard to get consistent 4K/Atmos releases. Are the licensing issues that tricky to navigate? Are the Kscape servers playing a balancing act with limited space? What's going on here? It's a good thing that the upscaling on my Strato is so drop dead gorgeous or I'd be more annoyed. But yeah, for the same price as the UHD HDR Atmos disk, I wish we got the full treatment. I'll pay to upgrade once that (hopefully) gets released, though. Usually worth it for the convenience, but still not sure why it isn't initially released in 4K. :confused:

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
It is strange. It's obviously above my pay grade, but I can't help but wonder why it's so hard to get consistent 4K/Atmos releases. Are the licensing issues that tricky to navigate? Are the Kscape servers playing a balancing act with limited space? What's going on here? It's a good thing that the upscaling on my Strato is so drop dead gorgeous or I'd be more annoyed. But yeah, for the same price as the UHD HDR Atmos disk, I wish we got the full treatment. I'll pay to upgrade once that (hopefully) gets released, though. Usually worth it for the convenience, but still not sure why it isn't initially released in 4K. :confused:
What frustrates me most is that I wish Kscape well and want to do everything I can to help the company succeed. Nevertheless, I am so hardcore about audio, I will passover a Kscape offering of a film with only DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio for the disk if the disk has TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA audio. UHD HDR video is just a bonus. Adding to my frustration is the knowledge that the problem almost certainly isn't Kscape's fault.

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
What frustrates me most is that I wish Kscape well and want to do everything I can to help the company succeed. Nevertheless, I am so hardcore about audio, I will passover a Kscape offering of a film with only DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio for the disk if the disk has TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA audio. UHD HDR video is just a bonus. Adding to my frustration is the knowledge that the problem almost certainly isn't Kscape's fault.
I most certainly understand your frustration, I am in a similar (but not exactly) camp. The differences are around the fact that I have the Alto (not Strato) AND a DV700. Like every other K owner, I have invested a fair amount of coin into the K system. And I have been so seduced by the ease of use, the interface, and most every other feature. If I can't play the movie through the K system, I won't buy it. So as a result, I will ONLY buy a movie from K if it has the latest audio. Otherwise, I buy the disc and place in the DV700. BUT (and because of what is causing your frustration), I have chosen to delay all purchases of any 4K disc (from K or anywhere else) since they can't be a part of the K system, even if it means I won't get the 3D format which may only be available on the 4K disc. And I won't buy the Strato until K can get the studios to play nice so that the release of the movie by K has the most up-to-date audio on it. I have no interest in buying a movie from K that does not have the latest audio on it and then getting a free upgrade to the latest audio some time later. And K has made it clear they won't build a Strato version of the DV700.

And based upon conversations I have had with K, it is most certainly not K's fault. I still don't understand why, with permission from the studios, K can't buy the same disc you and I get, extract the audio and place it with the movie. I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons why that is impractical.

There are some smart people inside of Kaleidescape and I'm sure they do spend time thinking of ways to solve this issue.

2321 - 2340 of 6414 Posts