AVS Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 6502 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find it interesting that Fox released both Alien: Covenant and Snatched this week on Kscape Store.

Snatched has DTS7.1 with Special Feature, Director's commentary and 15 deleted scenes. Same special features as Digital HD downloads from iTunes.

However, Alien: Covenant has DTS5.1 with no extras on Kscape. Special Features are available with iTunes and physical Blu-ray.

Not sure why Fox would hold back on the Alien: Covenant release.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Alto working with Strato question:

I currently have an Alto and DV700. If I were to purchase a Strato, then load into the Alto drive slot (or download from K) a movie into the Alto but it did not have enough space on its drive, would it automatically put the new movie onto the Strato drive?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Alto working with Strato question:

I currently have an Alto and DV700. If I were to purchase a Strato, then load into the Alto drive slot (or download from K) a movie into the Alto but it did not have enough space on its drive, would it automatically put the new movie onto the Strato drive?
Yes

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Thanks. Then a follow up question. If I were to place the Strato in another room and from that room, want to watch a movie stored on the DV700, will this "to be announced at CEDIA" capability allow me to do that?
I have no idea on how the "to be announced at CEDIA" functionality will work. I'm also not sure what "to be announced at CEDIA" functionality you're referring to Chuck? Do you mean the 'bridge' device that was refered to previosuly - if so I thought that was only for linking a Strato to a Premier system, not a DV700 and Strato.

However, that being said, the Kaleidescape system normally works on a standard LAN. As it currently stands, you could have a Strato and Alto at opposite ends of the house - as long as they are connected by ethernet to the same network, they will work as one system. With an Alto and DV700 I assume the same use case applies (I don't have a DV700) - they require an ethernet connection to the same network only. I would therefore assume that when (if) an Alto+Strato+DV700 system can operate as a unified system, this will work over ethernet in a similar way.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I have no idea on how the "to be announced at CEDIA" functionality will work. I'm also not sure what "to be announced at CEDIA" functionality you're referring to Chuck? Do you mean the 'bridge' device that was refered to previosuly - if so I thought that was only for linking a Strato to a Premier system, not a DV700 and Strato.

However, that being said, the Kaleidescape system normally works on a standard LAN. As it currently stands, you could have a Strato and Alto at opposite ends of the house - as long as they are connected by ethernet to the same network, they will work as one system. With an Alto and DV700 I assume the same use case applies (I don't have a DV700) - they require an ethernet connection to the same network only. I would therefore assume that when (if) an Alto+Strato+DV700 system can operate as a unified system, this will work over ethernet in a similar way.
Thanks. And yes, I am referring to the "bridge" device. I will post this on the K user forum and see what kind of response I get. Hopefully, whatever K announces at CEDIA will provide more detail.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
The bridge device has been discussed as being a component to integrate Premier and Encore, not Strato/Alto. We all hope they finally release the full integration between Strato and the DV700 which now only includes DVD disks and not bluray. However, I'm starting to think this will not happen..... SJ

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
The bridge device has been discussed as being a component to integrate Premier and Encore, not Strato/Alto. We all hope they finally release the full integration between Strato and the DV700 which now only includes DVD disks and not bluray. However, I'm starting to think this will not happen..... SJ
That's pretty sucky if they don't make that happen since that was part of the original announcement. I would be more than pi$$ed if I had purchased a Strato/DV700 combo under those pretenses.

I will have to see what they announce at CEDIA. If the switch does not provide access from my "not yet purchased" Strato that would be located in one room to the content of the DV700 in another, I sure won't be buying a Strato. And the suggestion that a solution would be to ALSO buy an Alto for that room is both ludicrous and insulting --- unless they are willing to sell one for something like $500 OR provide free disc to digital for every movie on the DV700.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I must admit, I do struggle to see what the issue is with Kal getting a DV700 working with a Strato, especially as it already works with the Alto. Is it a hardware issue, or a licencing issue?

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
My understand is that there are technical issues as the chip maker is out of business and they were originally looking for support from them to complete. It is a different architecture between the Alto and Strato. They also have to get bluray licensing sign off. This just doesn't seem to be the priority anymore. Maybe it is dead and they should just let us know. I certainly would not purchase components assuming the integration will happen. I would be happy with even a switch solution, but I think they should let us know what is happening. Given the small number of customers in this boat, likely not high priority. SJ

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
It seems they are pinning their future plans on driving as many sales through the movie store as possible, and I guess giving their future 4K platform the ability to play from discs is not conducive to that aim.

·
Registered
21,199 Posts
I must admit, I do struggle to see what the issue is with Kal getting a DV700 working with a Strato, especially as it already works with the Alto. Is it a hardware issue, or a licencing issue?
The only way I would ever be interested in a DV700 would be for it to be able to allow copying of its BDs to my Strato. Otherwise, in the immortal words of Tony Soprano, "Fuhgit about it!" With that capability, though, the DV700 would be tempting.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
It seems they are pinning their future plans on driving as many sales through the movie store as possible, and I guess giving their future 4K platform the ability to play from discs is not conducive to that aim.
I think that the Strato/Movie Store concept is their "end game". But as I look the situation as of this moment as it relates to just the Strato and Store, here is what I see: "For something eventually north of $10,000 (for multiple Stratos and/or Strato plus storage), we give you the privilege of watching movies usually later than available elsewhere, that cost more and may or may not have the latest audio codec".

The "cost more piece - even the front end cost" becomes incidental, IMO, if K can solve the other two pieces - timely availability of the movie (at least close to the availability of the disc) with the most current audio codecs. Without those, I just don't see how K survives. And as I have suggested elsewhere, they need a plan for when (not if) your hard drive (or drives) crashes. And re-downloading hundreds and hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of movies is not an alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I think that the Strato/Movie Store concept is their "end game". But as I look the situation as of this moment as it relates to just the Strato and Store, here is what I see: "For something eventually north of $10,000 (for multiple Stratos and/or Strato plus storage), we give you the privilege of watching movies usually later than available elsewhere, that cost more and may or may not have the latest audio codec".

The "cost more piece - even the front end cost" becomes incidental, IMO, if K can solve the other two pieces - timely availability of the movie (at least close to the availability of the disc) with the most current audio codecs. Without those, I just don't see how K survives. And as I have suggested elsewhere, they need a plan for when (not if) your hard drive (or drives) crashes. And re-downloading hundreds and hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of movies is not an alternative.
In most cases, as far as timing goes, the K store usually sees releases well ahead of the blu-ray releases. Typically a couple of weeks, which is awesome. Totally agree about the codecs though. That's frustrating.

As to the hard drives, if you have a Terra server at least, they're set up in a raid configuration (proprietary K-Raid I believe), and if a hard drive goes bust, Kaleidescape and the dealer will be alerted, and they're pretty proactive about getting a replacement drive on the way. Easy to swap, and shouldn't see any data loss. It's a very robust system and one of the reasons for the premium cost. These things are built like tanks. My 24TB server has been outstanding. Might have to consider the new 40TB model! :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
As to the hard drives, if you have a Terra server at least, they're set up in a raid configuration (proprietary K-Raid I believe), and if a hard drive goes bust, Kaleidescape and the dealer will be alerted, and they're pretty proactive about getting a replacement drive on the way. Easy to swap, and shouldn't see any data loss. It's a very robust system and one of the reasons for the premium cost. These things are built like tanks. My 24TB server has been outstanding. Might have to consider the new 40TB model! :cool:
That's good (actually very good) food for thought. Maybe I would buy the zero storage Strato and some amount of Terra storage. Thanks. But that stuff is really expensive.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm sure I can guess the answer already but what is the probability we get the 4K version GG2 next week.

2341 - 2360 of 6502 Posts