AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 6414 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
That's good (actually very good) food for thought. Maybe I would buy the zero storage Strato and some amount of Terra storage. Thanks. But that stuff is really expensive.
Here's some info from their website: https://www.kaleidescape.com/faq/#cat_02n500000004tGwAAI

Kaleidescape said:
Reliability
Q: What technology does a Premiere system use to ensure reliable storage? A: Kaleidescape servers in the Premiere line are specifically designed and monitored to provide reliable storage. Kaleidescape uses a variety of hardware, software, and service technologies to ensure reliable operation of the system in the event of a drive failure. Kaleidescape developed a proprietary storage technology, RAID-K, customized for the reliable storage of movies and music on multiple disk cartridges. With RAID-K, the system continues to play movies and music even if a drive fails. Like other common fault-tolerant technologies for multiple disk drives, no data is lost if one drive fails. Unlike other technologies, RAID-K is customized for movie servers; each movie or music album is generally stored on one drive for optimal performance and additional disk cartridges (of different storage capacities) can be added later to generally increase storage.
After a drive failure, the failed disk cartridge must be replaced to restore the system to normal functionality and reliability in the unlikely case of a second drive failure. The 3U Server includes the additional feature of a hot spare disk cartridge, which is available immediately to replace a failed drive.
Kaleidescape also provides real-time services, over the Internet, to monitor the health of drives in a server. If a component is too hot, or if a drive fails certain software tests, we may proactively alert the dealer-of-record that service is required.

What happens in the event of a hard disk drive failure? Premiere Line
Although Kaleidescape uses high quality hard disk drives, occasionally, drives do fail. On average, drives in Kaleidescape Systems fail at a rate of one or two percent per year. To prevent loss of information from a drive failure, every Kaleidescape server in the Premiere line uses RAID-K to store parity information. In addition, the 3U Server features a hot spare disk cartridge as an added measure of data protection.
If a disk drive fails, the disk cartridge indicator light changes from blue to amber (or does not light up at all) and an email alert is sent to the dealer and the end user (if set up to receive them). Email alerts are maintained on the Extranet by the dealer of record. If no dealer of record exists, Kaleidescape Support can update the email alerts.
When a disk drive fails in a 3U Server with a hot spare disk cartridge, a rebuild begins automatically. The server remains blue and movies and music in your library can continue to be enjoyed, however new content cannot be added until the rebuild completes. The server is vulnerable to losing data should another drive fail, but only until the rebuild completes.
When a disk fails in a 1U Server, 5U Server, 3U Server without a hot spare, or a Cinema One (1st generation), a message is displayed in the onscreen display saying, “A disk cartridge on your Kaleidescape System is missing or has failed. Please have your Kaleidescape System serviced as soon as possible to avoid having to re-import your movies and music.” A similar message appears in the browser interface. The server turns amber and the movies and music in your library can continue to be enjoyed, however new content cannot be added to your library. After 10 days, the Kaleidescape System stops operating until the failed disk cartridge is replaced. It is very important to replace a failed disk drive as soon as possible when a server is in this state. The server is vulnerable to losing data should another drive fail. When the disk cartridge is replaced, the information on the failed disk drive is automatically rebuilt onto the new disk cartridge.
Disk cartridges can be replaced easily by the customer or the dealer while the system is operating.

Cool stuff.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,364
Tech support @ vudu slipped something to that effect, they showed their cards accidentally.:) they will start with marvel 5 will get you ten. Expect sw7 in extreme uwcg sometime thereafter, the producer told me last year at Nab. They have been quietly converting all cinema dolby vision titles.:D

they are making 3 announcements at cedia i suspect that is why we are a little dry at the moment on hdr releases, which suits my fine for now, cause universal cost me dearly. with their surprise launch.

the three announcement is paramount for sure, disney 85% probability on my hunch, the thrid some kind of switch they are validated but that was announced already so following the patch of the most populated uhd libraries i think Lionsgate may be announced too. If i get all three every one here has to bitcoin me for dinner at Red lobster, .;)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Tech support @ vudu slipped something to that effect, they showed their cards accidentally.:) they will start with marvel 5 will get you ten. Expect sw7 in extreme uwcg sometime thereafter, the producer told me last year at Nab. They have been quietly converting all cinema dolby vision titles.:D

they are making 3 announcements at cedia i suspect that is why we are a little dry at the moment on hdr releases, which suits my fine for now, cause universal cost me dearly. with their surprise launch.

the three announcement is paramount for sure, disney 85% probability on my hunch, the thrid some kind of switch they are validated but that was announced already so following the patch of the most populated uhd libraries i think Lionsgate may be announced too. If i get all three every one here has to bitcoin me for dinner at Red lobster, .;)
They need to hit the grand slam and bring them all home. Paramount plus Disney, Fox, and Lionsgate confirmed for UHD HDR in the store, and I'm all in. So hope they do.

Reactions: Montucky

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,368
Somehow I see fox happening next year. These are huge financial commitments. You will only get via kaleidescape what is now or about to come out on Vudu plus sony,HDR.

But the alien hd looks damned good and the Neural x atmos soundesign reconstitution is 5 on that scale, i heard creatures wizzing behind my neck like mixed in the atmos track, no doubt. So it is not exactly like you are getting a kick in the nuts with the hd version as a holdover.

So patience is a virtue that you just will enjoy getting accustomed with kaleidescape. After all visually and audio clock wise what are your options? Those shinny discs look and sound like crap from any of the UHD main players, by comparison on an oled and and a low fatigue channel sufficient, 5+1+widths .4 Minimum (but i don't particularly care for subs because of my apartment situation .

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Do you have any info about them upgrading the Strato w/ 4K UHD Drive and Dolby Vision ?
AFAIK there are no plans to introduce a 4K disc spinner and DV isn't currently possible on the Strato - though Cheena has commented recently that it would be remiss of them not to consider DV in the future - if I find a link to the report I'll post back here.

EDIT - here you go http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/kaleidescape-digital-download-convenience-meets-4k-disc-quality/39472

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
AFAIK there are no plans to introduce a 4K disc spinner and DV isn't currently possible on the Strato - though Cheena has commented recently that it would be remiss of them not to consider DV in the future - if I find a link to the report I'll post back here.

EDIT - here you go http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/kaleidescape-digital-download-convenience-meets-4k-disc-quality/39472
@steelman1991 -- Thanks for the link to the High Def digest piece about Kscape! I thought it was very interesting and read every word of it. I got to know Luke O'Brien earlier this year when I inquired about the absence of TrueHD Atmos on some Kscape titles. Luke proved to be both knowledgable and a good guy.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
@steelman1991 -- Thanks for the link to the High Def digest piece about Kscape! I thought it was very interesting and read every word of it. I got to know Luke O'Brien earlier this year when I inquired about the absence of TrueHD Atmos on some Kscape titles. Luke proved to be both knowledgable and a good guy.
Agreed about the article - gave me some hope that a DV enabled Strato will come to market.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Agreed about the article - gave me some hope that a DV enabled Strato will come to market.
My less than one year old Sony 940D UHD HDR TV is not DV compatible and apparently cannot be made to be so. Thus, I am not going to be buying any new components in the foreseeable future just because they are DV enabled.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
My less than one year old Sony 940D UHD HDR TV is not DV compatible and apparently cannot be made to be so. Thus, I am not going to be buying any new components in the foreseeable future just because they are DV enabled.
I hear ya - thankfully my last purchase was (a Loewe 77" OLED) DV enabled and I would only look at a DV enabled player, if DV was proven to be a better option than the HDR10 base layer available at the moment and which is quite impressive. Don't have a DV spinner and with so few discs available to make a comparison, I'm happy to wait until it gets more traction.

·
Premium Member
10,764 Posts
Nor are any of the reasonably priced projectors. 4K/HDR in its current form is going to have to be the "standard" for me, probably for as long as I live.

This "constant" upgrading is just not worth it ... for me. And, in my opinion, the differences in the quality between the upgrades gets smaller. The upgrade from VCR to DVD was huge. The upgrade from DVD to BluRay was very slightly less huge, From BluRay to 4K, no where near as huge. From 4K to HDR, smaller yet. And when we get to 8K or Dolby Vision, smaller yet. In fact, I have some BluRays that are up-converted by my PJ to 4K that are simply stunning. I'm not suggesting that these technology developments should not be pursued, but at some point, for me and my life and my age and my budget, enough is enough.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
My 940D's not having DV capability doesn't make me feel deprived either. HDR10 is wonderful and promises to keep getting better so my Strato not having DV capability is a non factor for me.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Nor are any of the reasonably priced projectors. 4K/HDR in its current form is going to have to be the "standard" for me, probably for as long as I live.

This "constant" upgrading is just not worth it ... for me. And, in my opinion, the differences in the quality between the upgrades gets smaller. The upgrade from VCR to DVD was huge. The upgrade from DVD to BluRay was very slightly less huge, From BluRay to 4K, no where near as huge. From 4K to HDR, smaller yet. And when we get to 8K or Dolby Vision, smaller yet. In fact, I have some BluRays that are unconverted by my PJ to 4K that are simply stunning. I'm not suggesting that these technology developments should not be pursued, but at some point, for me and my life and my age and my budget, enough is enough.
Oh yeah - the "law of diminishing returns" is certainly starting to kick-in, though I think the inclusion of HDR is a decent upgrade. BR to 4K - meh not so much. But you're bang on the button about the 'age, lifestyle, budget' considerations.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Oh yeah - the "law of diminishing returns" is certainly starting to kick-in, though I think the inclusion of HDR is a decent upgrade. BR to 4K - meh not so much. But you're bang on the button about the 'age, lifestyle, budget' considerations.
Yeah, I think one of the dirty little secrets of this brand new 4K world is that the difference between 1080P upconverted to 4K is close to being indistinguishable from native 4K without HDR. As you noted, HDR is a bigger deal but 4K alone is pretty underwhelming thanks to most UHD HDR TVs' ability to upconvert 1080P to 2160P beautifully.

2361 - 2380 of 6414 Posts