AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 6376 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I was taught an expression when working in the corporate world (from my CEO) that I very much took to heart (actually, I either worked under that premise or lost my job): "Don't let your problem become my problem". . .
lol I like that, its similar to the line I always give to my staff . . . "Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions."

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
lol I like that, its similar to the line I always give to my staff . . . "Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions."
In the earliest days of my first management job, my manager brought me an article from Harvard Business Review entitled "Who's Got The Monkey?", originally published in 1974. It deals with that very issue.

Slightly off topic, but after reading that article, I purchased a stuffed animal of a monkey and kept it on my desk. When an employee would come to me with a problem, I would place the monkey on his/her side of the desk. The meeting was never over until the monkey was again on his/her side of the desk. Worked like a charm.

Maybe K needs to read that article. While the article is over 40 years old, it still applies. For those who might be interested in reading it, here is a link:

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,484
Please chuck, Undoing? More positivity. We are not the customers, the ultimate customer are very rich guys.

Now the daily discovery pep talk.

Did you know that little new zealand is one of the top three immersive and rerecording Capitals of the World, the ecosystem left in place by Peter Jackson.

Don't believe me? It's a cheap Gamble. Put Your Neural-x to the test. I have not laughed this hard for so long since the combined premieres of Fish Called Wanda and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Reference dts-hd for copious neural x overhead action, legendarily funny movie. Best 15 bucks i have ever spent.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,485 (Edited)
Co-star Consumer Intro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lngjikd5eokcb2/Kaleidescape Co-Star (for customers).pdf?dl=0

1CO-STAR COMBINES THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS4K Upgrade for Premiere SystemsInformation for Kaleidescape CustomersMany owners of Kaleidescape Premiere systems have expressed interest in upgrading to the newKaleidescape Strato movie player so they can enjoy 4K Ultra HD movies intheir homes.For some of these customers, it makes sense to simply replace their Premiere system with a new Strato system, and convert their disc library into digital downloads. Other customers, however, want to retain the ability to play disc content. Stratocannot play discs–only content that has beendownloadedfrom theMovie Store.So, a Strato cannotbe a player in a Premiere system.To address this customer need, wedesigned a solutionthat gives you the best of both worlds –full access to Kaleidescape Movie Store content, including 4K Ultra HD movies, along withseamless access to all the movies on your Premiere system. Your Premiere system will retain its ability to import contentfrom disc, as it does today.This new solution is called Kaleidescape Co-Star.Please note that although this document refers to Premiere systems, the upgrade program will also be available for second-generation Cinema One systems, and for Alto players.UPGRADE PROCESSAfter youdecide which zones willbe upgraded to 4K, your dealer will select the appropriate Strato players for your installation.You can upgrade only one zone, or multiplePremiere zones.In each zone that you want to upgrade to 4K, your dealer will pair a new Strato player with your existing Premiere player, and connect both players to a small automatic video switchsupplied by Kaleidescape. The player settings will be adjusted to complete the pairing.The Strato presents the user interface and handles the playback of all content downloaded to the Stratosystem, including 4K content. You will see a single, unified movie library on the onscreen display. When you play a movie that is stored on the Premiere system, the A/V source is automatically switched from the Strato to the Premiere player, which plays the movie. Strato relays control commands to the Premiere player, so playback appearsas if the movie were playing on the Strato

You cannot announce at CEDIA whata measily worm just did.:) That means Paramount, Disney and cross your fingers Lionsgate. Crossing my fingers!

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
You cannot announce at CEDIA whata measily worm just did.:) That means Paramount, Disney and cross your fingers Lionsgate. Crossing my fingers!
I really hope so. I'm ready to spend my money, but not without a fuller store of content.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Please chuck, Undoing? More positivity. We are not the customers, the ultimate customer are very rich guys.
I do agree we are not the customers. So "rich guys" don't care about timely availability of movies from K when compared to other outlets? If not, then that won't be one of the components that might lead to K's failure.

Listen. As for "positivity", no one wants Kaleidescape to be successful any more than I do. Like others, I have a chunk invested now in hardware and downloaded movies (which are not replaceable if they go "toes up") and if I end up buying a Strato and then one of their mass storage products, and then even more movies, I will be even more heavily invested.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
10TB is $5999
Its crazy really isn't it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the whole Kaleidescape eco-system, and I fully appreciate these aren't mass produced items but rather small production run units, and I also appreciate there is a lot of R & D and support cost that goes into them that needs to be recovered over that small production run, but still, what's actually in it - a media playback board, a hard drive and a chassis. There's got to be less than $500 of parts, including the expensive drive which is probably $300 of that.

I know that most audio components come out at around 20% raw cost vs list price - the manufacturer, distributor, dealer (and sadly the government in the destination country) all need to make margin - that's just life, but the premium on the Strato just seems extreme.

Maybe I am being naive, or missing the bigger picture, but I can't help thinking that now Kal has the infrastructure in terms of the store, the interface and the basic playback hardware - why not just get a player out of the door, with a basic hard drive, at less than $1,000 list. If the store is where they see future revenues, increasing the user base accessing the store by a 100 fold would seem the best way forward.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Its crazy really isn't it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the whole Kaleidescape eco-system, and I fully appreciate these aren't mass produced items but rather small production run units, and I also appreciate there is a lot of R & D and support cost that goes into them that needs to be recovered over that small production run, but still, what's actually in it - a media playback board, a hard drive and a chassis. There's got to be less than $500 of parts, including the expensive drive which is probably $300 of that.

I know that most audio components come out at around 20% raw cost vs list price - the manufacturer, distributor, dealer (and sadly the government in the destination country) all need to make margin - that's just life, but the premium on the Strato just seems extreme.

Maybe I am being naive, or missing the bigger picture, but I can't help thinking that now Kal has the infrastructure in terms of the store, the interface and the basic playback hardware - why not just get a player out of the door, with a basic hard drive, at less than $1,000 list. If the store is where they see future revenues, increasing the user base accessing the store by a 100 fold would seem the best way forward.
I've thought of that as well. It could be one of several reasons. (a) This model (and this price structure) has now started to work because K's "typical" clients (not those who participate here) are "rich people" and are willing to pay the price; (b) stubbornness or pride ... or both; (c) Given their greatly reduced staff after the shutdown, they have zero resources to even investigate such a move; (d) none of the above.

When I saw that pricing for a Strato, I am going to confess that I started making some inquiries of systems (PC based) that can do it all. That use off the shelf RAID hard drives, include more storage and don't cost the over $15,000 that an Alto, Strato and DV700 cost (wouldn't need the equivalent of a DV700). At some price point, I may have to give up on the whole "Kaleldescape experience" thing and go elsewhere. The trick is finding one of those companies who has the background, customer service and stayhing power. Quite frankly, I'm not one of those "rich guys". And the facts are, that it doesn't end with a $6000 Strato. Next is the REAL serious money for the Terra servers. I am bummed.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I've thought of that as well. It could be one of several reasons. (a) This model (and this price structure) has now started to work because K's "typical" clients (not those who participate here) are "rich people" and are willing to pay the price; (b) stubbornness or pride ... or both; (c) Given their greatly reduced staff after the shutdown, they have zero resources to even investigate such a move; (d) none of the above.

When I saw that pricing for a Strato, I am going to confess that I started making some inquiries of systems (PC based) that can do it all. That use off the shelf RAID hard drives, include more storage and don't cost the over $15,000 that an Alto, Strato and DV700 cost (wouldn't need the equivalent of a DV700). At some price point, I may have to give up on the whole "Kaleldescape experience" thing and go elsewhere. The trick is finding one of those companies who has the background, customer service and stayhing power. Quite frankly, I'm not one of those "rich guys". And the facts are, that it doesn't end with a $6000 Strato. Next is the REAL serious money for the Terra servers. I am bummed.

I'm fairly certain there is no alternative, particularly for 4K/HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Well, I actually run two parallel systems, I have the Kaleidescape system installed in the home theatre rack, but I also have a 12 bay NAS that I have used with various media players over the years, prior to owning anything Kaleidescape. I still rip all my blu-rays to that NAS, and then use media players in other rooms in the house for the family (and one in the theatre room for movies not in the Kal store and 3D movies, plus family camcorder footage and photos etc).

My current media player of preference is the Dune HD Solo. It plays flawlessly with full blu-ray menu and also now has a nice movie wall interface. All the movie details are now also gathered automatically too. All I have to do these days is rip the disc on my laptop directly to the NAS (2 minutes to get it started then leave it running), run a re-scan on the Dune, and done.

As a price comparison, assuming you bought a pair of Dune Solo's for two rooms (2 x $400), and a four bay Synology NAS ($400) with 4 x 6TB discs (4 x $200) with Synology Raid (single disc redundancy = 18TB Free), you'd be looking at around $2,000 total. That's two rooms covered, and storage for 500-600 HD movies.

As Steelman says, there is no solution for 4K HDR until they break the disc copy encryption to allow you to back up your discs, but for blu-ray's this works very well. Once 4K HDR movies can be backed up, and/or as newer and better media players come out, the only thing that needs to be swapped out is the front end player.

Its a little more effort, and the interface isn't quite as slick as Kal, but the price difference speaks for itself.

As I say, I love the Kal system, and I own both the above systems so I'm not mentioning all this with the intention of undermining the Kal system, but you mentioned alternative systems, and as I own and use one regularly, I thought I'd outline it in reply.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts

You're being naive... ;)

I'm still waiting for the $100K Ferrari!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm with you on this one. But I don't think that they have a great margin on the digital store, especially with their low volume of sales (compared to others like iTunes). They (should) make their money through the hardware.
I personally would buy a Kaleidescape player for 1000$, but the current price structure is just too high for me (at least for now).

Another point might be that Kaleidescape is the absolute High-end, there is no other with this reputation and service. Therefore, customers might get pissed when Kaldeiscape lowers the prices/introduce cheaper products because the average Joe can afford them as well as Kaleidescape is not exclusive to the high-end segment anymore.
Although one could argue that the store experience should get better the more people are using it.

You're being naive... ;)

I'm still waiting for the $100K Ferrari!
Yeah, kind of what I said. This will never ever happen. Actually, Ferrari decreased their production in order to remain exclusive.

I'm fairly certain there is no alternative, particularly for 4K/HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It all depends on how you see it. There is no EXACT copy of Kaleidescape, that's for sure.

If you are looking just for BD storage and playback (so server and player) you got:
Fusion Research
Zappiti (I actually had a server and the player here, and for this price point, I was pretty impressed with the functionality and the ease of use: put disc in server, server rips it automatically and ejects in when done, library gets automatically updated.)
FireFX
Modulus (not yet available)
and there is at least one more from the early days, but I forgot the name.

If you are talking about 4K/HDR store:
There are plenty of it like Amazon or Googleplay and soon iTunes as well. Obviously with a significant decrease in picture and sound quality.

Regarding the earlier discussion of a cheaper product, this might be also a reason for not bringing it:
The average Joe does not care about true UHD BD quality, but is happy with the present stores.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Well, I actually run two parallel systems, I have the Kaleidescape system installed in the home theatre rack, but I also have a 12 bay NAS that I have used with various media players over the years, prior to owning anything Kaleidescape. I still rip all my blu-rays to that NAS, and then use media players in other rooms in the house for the family (and one in the theatre room for movies not in the Kal store and 3D movies, plus family camcorder footage and photos etc).

My current media player of preference is the Dune HD Solo. It plays flawlessly with full blu-ray menu and also now has a nice movie wall interface. All the movie details are now also gathered automatically too. All I have to do these days is rip the disc on my laptop directly to the NAS (2 minutes to get it started then leave it running), run a re-scan on the Dune, and done.

As a price comparison, assuming you bought a pair of Dune Solo's for two rooms (2 x $400), and a four bay Synology NAS ($400) with 4 x 6TB discs (4 x $200) with Synology Raid (single disc redundancy = 18TB Free), you'd be looking at around $2,000 total. That's two rooms covered, and storage for 500-600 HD movies.

As Steelman says, there is no solution for 4K HDR until they break the disc copy encryption to allow you to back up your discs, but for blu-ray's this works very well. Once 4K HDR movies can be backed up, and/or as newer and better media players come out, the only thing that needs to be swapped out is the front end player.

Its a little more effort, and the interface isn't quite as slick as Kal, but the price difference speaks for itself.

As I say, I love the Kal system, and I own both the above systems so I'm not mentioning all this with the intention of undermining the Kal system, but you mentioned alternative systems, and as I own and use one regularly, I thought I'd outline it in reply.
Wookii: Since this is a Kaleidescape thread, I will be sending you a PM to further investigate this Dune approach. I love the K system as well. But I have been out of space on my Alto for a long time, am not a huge fan of the speed (or lack of it) on the DV700; and not thrilled about $6000 for a Strato (plus the eventual costs of the Terra servers)...I am not a rich guy !!

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Well, isn't the Encore line actually cheaper than Premier? I think they did lower their prices for this platform. I do think you have to go into this hardware with an understanding that you would need to purchase additional hardware at some point and factor that cost into your decision. It's all relative as other purchases for this hobby are...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm with you on this one. But I don't think that they have a great margin on the digital store, especially with their low volume of sales (compared to others like iTunes). They (should) make their money through the hardware.
I personally would buy a Kaleidescape player for 1000$, but the current price structure is just too high for me (at least for now).

Another point might be that Kaleidescape is the absolute High-end, there is no other with this reputation and service. Therefore, customers might get pissed when Kaldeiscape lowers the prices/introduce cheaper products because the average Joe can afford them as well as Kaleidescape is not exclusive to the high-end segment anymore.
Although one could argue that the store experience should get better the more people are using it.

Yeah, kind of what I said. This will never ever happen. Actually, Ferrari decreased their production in order to remain exclusive.

It all depends on how you see it. There is no EXACT copy of Kaleidescape, that's for sure.

If you are looking just for BD storage and playback (so server and player) you got:
Fusion Research
Zappiti (I actually had a server and the player here, and for this price point, I was pretty impressed with the functionality and the ease of use: put disc in server, server rips it automatically and ejects in when done, library gets automatically updated.)
FireFX
Modulus (not yet available)
and there is at least one more from the early days, but I forgot the name.

If you are talking about 4K/HDR store:
There are plenty of it like Amazon or Googleplay and soon iTunes as well. Obviously with a significant decrease in picture and sound quality.

Regarding the earlier discussion of a cheaper product, this might be also a reason for not bringing it:
The average Joe does not care about true UHD BD quality, but is happy with the present stores.
So no - there isn't.

2481 - 2500 of 6376 Posts