AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 6363 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
By far the most cost-effective way to get the highest audio and video quality. Unfortunately, we still have to buy a lot of discs as well, which does defeat part of the purpose of buying the Strato. We do get to use the Strato for most of our movie watching though, which is a far better experience. I hope Kaleidescape will close this gap soon.
If Kaleidescape could guarantee that they will have what I need in, say, a year. I would order a Strato today. But they can't apparently because they have no real financial pull with those who control what they get. The studios have no compelling reason to solve the problem in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had a Kaleidescape system since DVD only devices. I remember people complaining about how long it took them to get a Blu-ray solution to market. Now with 4k, they came to market early and the market is still developing. Personally I love the system. The Strato is a great player. I'm patiently waiting for the studios to get on board with quick releases with correct immersive audio. I'm glad Kscape released the Strato early and not instead waiting for the market to mature like they did with DVD to Blu-ray transitions.

For me, Kscape was like the change from CDs to digital music with immediate direct access to my collection. I love the Scenes feature and can never go back to another server/streamer that does not have Scenes. It is hard to find the time to watch an entire movie. It is an incredible experience to find my favorite Scenes so quickly with the Kscape GUI. It is like the iPod experience for Home Cinema.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
guys i just received this so check it out

i have a Strato already .....Kaleidescape is having a platinum sale for 2 more days if your interested here are some prices

Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player-10TB, Co-Star HDMI Switch Kit, and 500 USD Movie Store Pre-pay Bundle-- $4900

Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player-6TB-$3250
Is this a private sale to existing customers?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Just going to drop this in here: after playing (with few exceptions) nothing but 4K discs with Atmos/DTS-X for the last few months, I ran out of 4k discs to watch, so I started popping in a few of my favorite Blu Rays over the last week or so--many of which have only DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD, and those tracks still sound absolutely remarkable. For instance, Captain America: CW in DTS HD-MA had a much better presentation than Valerian did (in all its Atmos glory). This realization actually has caused me to push the Kscape Strato acquisition up quite a bit in my equipment-upgrade timeline.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
Just going to drop this in here: after playing (with few exceptions) nothing but 4K discs with Atmos/DTS-X for the last few months, I ran out of 4k discs to watch, so I started popping in a few of my favorite Blu Rays over the last week or so--many of which have only DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD, and those tracks still sound absolutely remarkable. For instance, Captain America: CW in DTS HD-MA had a much better presentation than Valerian did (in all its Atmos glory). This realization actually has caused me to push the Kscape Strato acquisition up quite a bit in my equipment-upgrade timeline.
Yeah, the most important segment of good audio, it seems to me, is good sound design. Nearly equally important is a lossless codec, especially if its immersive, TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA. I have learned that, while matrixing a lossless 5.1/7.1 soundtrack to 7.2.4 isn't quite as good asTrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA, it can still be very good indeed. Both the Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X DSUs on my Yamaha 3060 do a great job of this.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The Neural X on my Marantz 7704 is very good as well. I am extremely surprised at the depth of the surround sound it produces

Reactions: ccool96 and SJHT

·
Registered
110 Posts
guys i just received this so check it out

i have a Strato already .....Kaleidescape is having a platinum sale for 2 more days if your interested here are some prices

Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player-10TB, Co-Star HDMI Switch Kit, and 500 USD Movie Store Pre-pay Bundle-- $4900

Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player-6TB-$3250
Do you have more details? Those are some great prices.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
All the Harry Potter movies are in the movie store with HDR and DTS:X sound!

$15.99 each to upgrade from HD. Nice!!
Also, some of them, maybe all, have DTS:X audio. UHD HDR video combined with DTS:X MA 7.2.4 audio means that I may have to spring for these upgrades.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
I'm curious about something that does not necessarily apply to just the Strato. How many folks will re-purchase a movie (or series of movies) for some well known film set (e.g. Harry Potter) when it is re-marketed with either 3D audio and/or 4K/HDR but already exists in Blu Ray?

Based upon what I read here, I must be unique in that there are VERY FEW films that I already have (in BluRay) that I would re-purchase again (DVD is another matter). The exception for me would be some classics that never made it to Blu Ray, like the Abyss. It occurs to me that for those that do like to re-purchase, the attraction for what K offers (making available older films with updated audio/video as well as eventual release of the newer stuff) is much higher/broader than it is for me who primarily (almost exclusively) wants the newest movies as soon as they are available in shiny disc with the latest audio.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I'm curious about something that does not necessarily apply to just the Strato. How many folks will re-purchase a movie (or series of movies) for some well known film set (e.g. Harry Potter) when it is re-marketed with either 3D audio and/or 4K/HDR but already exists in Blu Ray?

Based upon what I read here, I must be unique in that there are VERY FEW films that I already have (in BluRay) that I would re-purchase again (DVD is another matter). The exception for me would be some classics that never made it to Blu Ray, like the Abyss. It occurs to me that for those that do like to re-purchase, the attraction for what K offers (making available older films with updated audio/video as well as eventual release of the newer stuff) is much higher/broader than it is for me who primarily (almost exclusively) wants the newest movies as soon as they are available in shiny disc with the latest audio.
Given that I recently pre-ordered the UHD blu-ray discs for the Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar and Terminator 2, and also bought the first two of newer Planet of the Apes films, Battleship, Van Helsing and Prometheus in the last couple of months, despite already owning the blu-rays, I think I must be firmly in the "helplessly-addicted-to buying-the-latest-version" camp. God help me when Disney open the UHD floodgates and I can get UHD disc versions of all the Marvel and LucasFilm movies!

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Good question. I’m in the boat of “all in” with K as I want the experience for everything. Experience meaning the integration and not wanting to touch a disc. Given that’s my priority over best video/audio, I also have to look at managing my storage as I’m trying to put off purchasing a Terra Server for as long as possible. Therefore, I normally do not upgrade movies I already own on disc (DV700) or HD as 4K movies really eat away at storage, but will do it only for my very favorite movies. I also don’t want to get in the situation of having to delete movies from my system to make room for others that I own. Given where K is at today (and heading with the current studios), I would have started differently and likely went with a Strato/Terra Server setup. SJ

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have to admit, re-purchasing titles like the Harry Potter series in updated audio and video is attractive. I do wish, the upgrade costs were a little more reasonable, but am glad K-Store is making this possible!

Thanks to MovieRav and Gswat, my wallet is about to be $128 lighter. :eek:

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
They all come with DTS:X

Dunkirk has also appeared on system - from pre-order.
Thanks for the tips! When I saw your post, I immediately bought the UHD HDR version of Dunkirk at the Kscape store. Am still trying to decide what to do about the UHD HDR DTS:X MA upgrades for the Harry Potter films.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thanks for the tips! When I saw your post, I immediately bought the UHD HDR version of Dunkirk at the Kscape store. Am still trying to decide what to do about the UHD HDR DTS:X MA upgrades for the Harry Potter films.
I had Dunkirk on a pre-order (really looking forward to it).

I've just downloaded Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone (the others I'll have to queue) and watched the first couple of chapters. Looks like a nice transfer and definitely an upgrade on the bluray. The introduction of the DTS:X soundtrack gives it a wonderfully 'full sound'. In those first few chapters the soundtrack is very immersive and dynamic - with some surprisingly nice .1 moments.

Get your wallet out :)

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
Has anybody heard whether Kscape will be able to offer a $15.99 per title upgrade deal on the films in The Dark Knight Trilogy? Given what has happened with the Harry Potter films, the Batman films seem to be at least a possibility too.

Reactions: Naylorman32

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
AND for once we all can blame the director for the DTS MA 5.1 sound and not K... :D

3161 - 3180 of 6363 Posts