AVS Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 6414 Posts

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
AND for once we all can blame the director for the DTS MA 5.1 sound and not K... :D
LOL :) - took the words right out my mouth
Yep, I just posted a scathing screed in the Dunkirk thread at Blu-ray.com about Nolan's stubborn, ill advised refusal to allow TrueHD Atmos audio to be used on the disks of his films. [RANT]Nolan's partisans can try to rationalize it anyway they want but I remain offended. At this late date, there is utterly, utterly no excuse for it.[/RANT]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Has anybody heard whether Kscape will be able to offer a $15.99 per title upgrade deal on the films in The Dark Knight Trilogy? Given what has happened with the Harry Potter films, the Batman films seem to be at least a possibility too.
Considering all of the Warner Bros titles have had the $15.99 upgrade available, I think it is a very good possibility.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good question. I’m in the boat of “all in” with K as I want the experience for everything. Experience meaning the integration and not wanting to touch a disc. Given that’s my priority over best video/audio, I also have to look at managing my storage as I’m trying to put off purchasing a Terra Server for as long as possible. Therefore, I normally do not upgrade movies I already own on disc (DV700) or HD as 4K movies really eat away at storage, but will do it only for my very favorite movies. I also don’t want to get in the situation of having to delete movies from my system to make room for others that I own. Given where K is at today (and heading with the current studios), I would have started differently and likely went with a Strato/Terra Server setup. SJ
But once you have the Terra server and don’t have to worry about space, then what?

·
Registered
159 Posts
From a post on Kscape Owners Forum

MikeKobb
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Planned Movie Store downtime

Hi folks,

Just a heads-up that we’re planning a software update on the Movie Store on Wednesday, December 13. We expect the Movie Store to be unavailable for about an hour around 10am ET.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Strato Audio Output

For some reason, the audio output from my Strato has gone dead since last week; haven't had time to troubleshoot. The HDMI cable connects from back of Strato to Marantz SR7009 (one of the HDMI ports); I also changed it to the port which I know it functions perfectly fine since I use that one with the Panny UHD Player; still no sound. Unplugged the HDMI cable from the Strato's end, cleaned dust, etc., replugged, still no sound. Need to try different things I guess. Anyone's got any suggestions? Of course, I have the bitstream stuff checked at the URL.

·
Registered
463 Posts
anyone know of the current pricing for a terra server? 24TB? I'm very close to needing one. I looked at their website but could not find the MSRP. I guess I will go through Best Buy again.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
For some reason, the audio output from my Strato has gone dead since last week; haven't had time to troubleshoot. The HDMI cable connects from back of Strato to Marantz SR7009 (one of the HDMI ports); I also changed it to the port which I know it functions perfectly fine since I use that one with the Panny UHD Player; still no sound. Unplugged the HDMI cable from the Strato's end, cleaned dust, etc., replugged, still no sound. Need to try different things I guess. Anyone's got any suggestions? Of course, I have the bitstream stuff checked at the URL.
Are you using the secondary HDMI audio output or the primary for both audio/video? SJ

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
anyone know of the current pricing for a terra server? 24TB? I'm very close to needing one. I looked at their website but could not find the MSRP. I guess I will go through Best Buy again.

Thank you.
Earlier this year (February) they were:

24TB $7,995
40TB $12,995

Not sure if there has been any change. SJ

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I had issues using the Secondary with costar. Bitstream didn't seem to work, so I switched to just using the primary. When was your Strato last updated with firmware?

·
Premium Member
10,764 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those numbers are so very hard for me to absorb. Here is 48TB of Raid Storage for $3800 !!! Or another for $4500. I am sure it's not the same but wowzer !!!
I think what we are paying for is the engineering that goes into the development of the Kaleidescape products and experience. I develop similarly complex products for a living, and we used to have a ratio of three hardware engineers to one software engineer. Nowadays we have a ratio of ten software engineers to one hardware engineer. There is a lot of sophisticated (and expensive) engineering that goes into creating the Kaleidescape experience!

I have a Terra server, and am very happy to have paid the price of admission. In fact, I was very excited this week to load all eight Harry Potter films into it with a click of a button - with full 4K HDR and DTS:X sound (and of course ready-to-watch Scenes). The experience (and concomitant price) is not for everyone - and I respect that. And it would be great for the Kaleidescape system to be less expensive and thus more easily available to a wider audience. But I enjoy and am thankful for my system every day!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Those numbers are so very hard for me to absorb. Here is 48TB of Raid Storage for $3800 !!! Or another for $4500. I am sure it's not the same but wowzer !!!
It is ludicrous and why I hope that an entity with deep pockets whom doesn't require the insane margins that K does can purchase their intellectual property and get this to market at reasonable prices and solve their other issues that have already been talked about.

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
503 Posts
I find Kaleidescape's products very well engineered. If you think they are too expensive, buy a HTPC. Personally, I don't think there is going to be a better experience for HT fans like us since every other solution relies on streaming which cannot delivery the required bandwidth reliably enough (at least for now).

·
Registered
637 Posts
I find Kaleidescape's products very well engineered. If you think they are too expensive, buy a HTPC. Personally, I don't think there is going to be a better experience for HT fans like us since every other solution relies on streaming which cannot delivery the required bandwidth reliably enough (at least for now).
I could buy 2 Stratos and (4) Terra servers w/out financial consequence and I would have zero qualms about doing so if they could provide a good service. I agree 1000% that the equipment and the interface is second to none. But what good is it if you can't fill it with the content that you truly want? That's where the price comes into play even more. This company shut it's doors a year ago and can't deliver the highest quality content in a timely manner so what good is their equipment then to someone that doesn't already own it? Especially with the improvements in streaming in the recent future and the shiny discs that you can get with full audio the day the films are released?

If I already owned the equipment like all of you do then I would be saying the same things and I get it, but at the same time it's ignoring the massive holes in K's business. If K has a target market I should be right in the middle of it. High end HT, disposable income, enjoys the highest quality A/V products yet I am so far gone from becoming a customer. What does that say for their business? Which adds to the qualms about jumping in now. Are they going to be there in another year or two? This is the thought process for many potential customers that so desperately want to buy their equipment and can't logically do it.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
If you look at what they have accomplished over the last year, it’s pretty amazing IMHO. Added Studios, added 4K content, new hardware, integration between Premier and Encore, etc. yeah there are some gaps remaining, but I think they will get there. I continually suggest that people need to prioritize what’s important. If K doesn’t meet those needs, then move on and purchase something else. SJ

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you look at what they have accomplished over the last year, it’s pretty amazing IMHO. Added Studios, added 4K content, new hardware, integration between Premier and Encore, etc. yeah there are some gaps remaining, but I think they will get there. I continually suggest that people need to prioritize what’s important. If K doesn’t meet those needs, then move on and purchase something else. SJ
If they get there then I'm in! My qualms with them have absolutely nothing to do with the equipment or technology that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
As a previous user of HTPCs, massive BD to MKV transfer geek, and all around tinkerer, I gotta say that since I've gotten into Kaleidescape, my hard drives have been collecting dust and I haven't done a single transfer in like two years. My transfers were excellent quality, I'd maintain lossless audio, and I really had lot of fun playing with that sort of thing, BUT using the system was just nowhere near as accessible to my family or guests. I'd always have to get everything started for them. Now my barely 2 year old can use it. That's saying a lot about Kscape's unparalleled interface.

Yes, it's very expensive, and I can build my own raid server and use a variety of players for a fraction of the prices (and really enjoy doing so), BUT the quality and engineering that goes into the hardware AND software is light years beyond anything I can do personally. Plus (at least in the past) I was unable to rip 4K discs at home like I could do with standard BDs.

3181 - 3200 of 6414 Posts