AVS Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 6372 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I redeemed the movie on the Sony Picutres Store and got 4K UHD UV rights and it ported to the Kaleidescape Movie Store and I was able to download...

Always refer to this google doc as to where to redeem...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsJkCX4DIv2oeCKQ7zp2ArkR1qKEXCUuCMBbUtHtmh4/htmlview

Also this google+ forum...

https://plus.google.com/communities/106877428277523568176
What retailer did Sony offer to give you those rights - as the spreadsheet states neither VUDU or FandangoNow carry UV rights. Just curious?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I always chose to redeem on www.sonypicturestore.com as it gives you 4k UHD UV rights and then it will port to K Store and whenever vudu adds it it will port to MA as 4k then iTunes and amazon and google play...

The main thing I do is check the google+ thread as each week it is posted when it’s a Sony titles that if you redeem on sonypicturesstore you get 4K UHD UV as that will always port to Kaleidescape Store when then had it in 4k but it won’t port through Movies Anywhere until either Vudu or FamdangoNOW has added it in 4K as they are the only 2 store that are apart of Movies Anywhere and also are apart of UV...

·
Registered
159 Posts
as posted over on Kscapeownersforum by user telem...

“Rampage” in HDR and Dolby Atmos from Warner Bros.

“A Quiet Place” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 7.1 from Paramount

“Jack Reacher” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Paramount

“Mission: Impossible 1” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 5.1
“Mission: Impossible 2” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 5.1
“Mission: Impossible 3” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 5.1
“Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 7.1
“Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation” in HDR and DTS-HD MA 5.1..... (missing both TrueHD 7.1 and Atmos)

‘Isle of Dogs” in UHD(first Fox tittle in UHD and not HDR) and DTS-HD MA 5.1

Nice to have 3 new 4k titles and 6 older 4k titles added all at once...

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Before I learned better than to preorder UHD HDR titles from the Kscape store, I preordered the UHD HDR quality version of A Quiet Place it for $36.99. Alas, the Kscape version lacks TrueHD Atmos audio, although the UHD HDR disk that will be available in a couple of weeks has it. To add insult to injury, the price of the disk will be $24.99, which means I paid a fifty percent premium only to get inferior audio. The only silver lining is that the version I bought from the Kscape store has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio. I hope Kscape somehow gets the TrueHD Atmos version of this title, it's the least they could do for us.

Reactions: ddsquire

·
Registered
725 Posts
Burned too many times. No more pre ordering being done here.

K is getting screwed over and over time and again by the studios with pre order releases with their stupid cost structure and lack of full audio availability.

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
Folks,

I'm looking in to the possibility of hoping on the K Strato train.

I have a nice projection based home theater that I am only now updating to show UHD.

My interests over the past few years has shifted back to 2 channel listening and buying lots of records. So I'm not in to buying movies as much (and I'm running out of space). The fact UHD discs aren't for rent means it seems either having to buy them or go to some system that can stream them. So I'm looking at the K-Strato system.

What are K's offerings like? Are they pretty thin, or can you get most new movies on K? And are most in UHD? I looked at the movie store and saw some saying UHD and some marked UHD and HDR. What gives with that? UHD specs contain HDR so why is there this division on the K site?

As for sound, someday I'll update for atmos, but it doesn't look like it will be too soon, so I'm less concerned with getting dolby atmos with the K system.

Also, do I need any particular internet speed required to make this workable (given the large UHD file sizes)? I'm on Rogers internet in Canada FWIW.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
@R Harkness -- Kscape's choice of films, both UHD HDR and 1080P BD quality, is excellent. There are a couple of problems, though. Neither is Kscape's fault but they hurt its customers nonetheless. First, although most newly released UHD HDR quality films become available from the Kscape store a couple of weeks before the corresponding disks go on sale, almost none of them come with digital rights. Second, way too many of the Kscape films lack TrueHD Atmos audio, although the disk version has it.

I experienced both problems with the UHD HDR quality version of A Quiet Place, which I preordered in April and was downloaded to my Kscape system shortly after midnight on Tuesday. The disk version of A Quiet Place will have TrueHD Atmos audio and a price of $24.99. The Kscape store's version of the film has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio and cost $36.99, which includes no digital rights. That's bad but for those of us who place a premium on Kscape's convenience, it's the only game in town. The silver lining to this is that the A Quiet Place soundtrack is mostly very quiet and the impact of its high volume scenes is delivered more through LFE than immersive effects. Thus, I really liked how the 7.1 audio on my copy of the film sounded when matrixed to 7.2.4 using the Dolby Surround Upmixer builtin to my Yamaha 3060 AVR. Still, it's pretty hard to stomach having payed a fifty percent premium over the cost of a disk for an inferior version.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
@R Harkness -- Kscape's choice of films, both UHD HDR and 1080P BD quality, is excellent. There are a couple of problems, though. Neither is Kscape's fault but they hurt its customers nonetheless. First, although most newly released UHD HDR quality films become available from the Kscape store a couple of weeks before the corresponding disks go on sale, almost none of them come with digital rights. Second, way too many of the Kscape films lack TrueHD Atmos audio, although the disk version has it.

I experienced both problems with the UHD HDR quality version of A Quiet Place, which I preordered in April and was downloaded to my Kscape system shortly after midnight on Tuesday. The disk version of A Quiet Place will have TrueHD Atmos audio and a price of $24.99. The Kscape store's version of the film has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio and cost $36.99, which includes no digital rights. That's bad but for those of us who place a premium on Kscape's convenience, it's the only game in town. The silver lining to this is that the A Quiet Place soundtrack is mostly very quiet and the impact of its high volume scenes is delivered more through LFE than immersive effects. Thus, I really liked how the 7.1 audio on my copy of the film sounded when matrixed to 7.2.4 using the Dolby Surround Upmixer builtin to my Yamaha 3060 AVR. Still, it's pretty hard to stomach having payed a fifty percent premium over the cost of a disk for an inferior version.

Thank you very much.

What are the consequences of not having digital rights? What happens? Do you download and watch the movie and then it's snatched off your server or something?

Also, I just noticed you said the price of the Kscape movie was $36.99 !!!!

Clearly I wasn't thinking this through as somehow I thought of the Kscape as being more like an apple TV where movies cost less to rent than to buy. If I'd just end up spending even more money buying a movie rom Kscape than just buying the disc, then it's mostly a non-starter. That means I'd be spending a bundle on the hardware AND the software, which doesn't solve my problem of not wanting to keep buying movies.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Thank you very much.

What are the consequences of not having digital rights? What happens? Do you download and watch the movie and then it's snatched off your server or something?

Also, I just noticed you said the price of the Kscape movie was $36.99 !!!!

Clearly I wasn't thinking this through as somehow I thought of the Kscape as being more like an apple TV where movies cost less to rent than to buy. If I'd just end up spending even more money buying a movie rom Kscape than just buying the disc, then it's mostly a non-starter. That means I'd be spending a bundle on the hardware AND the software, which doesn't solve my problem of not wanting to keep buying movies.
There is no rental option with K - it is purchase only then downloaded for playback to your player. AppleTV is probably your best option.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
@R Harkness -- I agree with the recommendation of @steelman1991 that you stick to renting streaming copies of films that you don't want to buy. They don't have lossless audio, of course, but the streamed version of UHD HDR video is very good these days. The Kscape system is mostly for those of us who want to own films and see them with the highest quality video and audio the technology provides, something streaming can't do yet, but with more convenience than playing disks.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
@R Harkness -- I agree with the recommendation of @steelman1991 that you stick to renting streaming copies of films that you don't want to buy. They don't have lossless audio, of course, but the streamed version of UHD HDR video is very good these days. The Kscape system is mostly for those of us who want to own films and see them with the highest quality video and audio the technology provides, something streaming can't do yet, but with more convenience than playing disks.
Actually - Apple have just released a beta version which includes ATMOS - on limited titles from the iTunes store and VUDU. It's clearly not lossless, but a great step forward for Apple users.

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
Ok, thank you.

Of course I want the best quality too (at least picture). But it's looking like Kscape wasn't the type of answer I was hoping for.

BTW, I'm still wondering about the digital rights issue with Kscape. What happens when you download a Kscape movie that doesn't come with digital rights?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok, thank you.

Of course I want the best quality too (at least picture). But it's looking like Kscape wasn't the type of answer I was hoping for.

BTW, I'm still wondering about the digital rights issue with Kscape. What happens when you download a Kscape movie that doesn't come with digital rights?
Kaleidescape is a system that allows you to have the convenience of streaming but with disc quality video and audio...

What this mean when saying certain movies do not come with digital rights is all the big studios except for Disney, Fox and Universal (starting in 2018) movies have Ultraviolet rights which means if you purchase the movie through the Kaleidescape Movie Store a digital UV copy is stored in you Ultraviolet Locker at www.myuv.com which allows you to have the movie port out to apps like vudu, that way you can watch the movie on you’re phone, Xbox, appletv, basically Anywhere with the Vudu app, also you can buy just the digital copies of movies from places like...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Some people buy the disc versions and sell off the digital codes, I buy all my movies as Digital codes for around $6-$10 a Movies which is a lot cheaper than Kaleidescape Store Prices, I only buy Disney, Fox and New Universal Movies directly from the K Store... buy those movies not being apart of Ultraviolet the movies do not port out to vudu and I can not buy cheaper codes to have them port in. Those 3 studios are exclusively are of Movies Anywhere so once Kaleidescape adds support for that they will port in and the ones you buy on K store will port out...

Liked others have stated, there is no rental option with K but if you want the best video and audio it’s the way to go, I can tell the difference compared to an appletv streaming....

·
Registered
159 Posts

The Quiet Place does have digital rights as I bought the disc plus digital version through Vudu for $27.00 including tax but Paramount has not enabled the UHD copy yet for your Ultraviolet Locker so that is why it is not porting, the HD version is porting I to Kaleidescape Store, once we get closer to release date Paramount will enable the UHD liscnce and then it will port in... it seems random as most movies port on the day of the digital release but others it is closer to the disc release...

You should look into buying the disc + digital version through Vudu, I did it for A Quiet Place and Rampage... You instantly get the UHD version to watch early which will port into Kaleidescape Store to download and receive the disc version in the mail on release date then you can keep disc and sell the digital copy for $8 so you end of paying around $19.00 for the movie...

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Actually - Apple have just released a beta version which includes ATMOS - on limited titles from the iTunes store and VUDU. It's clearly not lossless, but a great step forward for Apple users.
All streaming Atmos is lossy, not the "real thing" like TrueHD Atmos. That said, I have listened to the lossy Atmos soundtracks of some Vudu movies and it isn't bad, although still clearly inferior to the "real thing."

Reactions: ddsquire

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
Kaleidescape is a system that allows you to have the convenience of streaming but with disc quality video and audio...

What this mean when saying certain movies do not come with digital rights is all the big studios except for Disney, Fox and Universal (starting in 2018) movies have Ultraviolet rights which means if you purchase the movie through the Kaleidescape Movie Store a digital UV copy is stored in you Ultraviolet Locker at www.myuv.com which allows you to have the movie port out to apps like vudu, that way you can watch the movie on you’re phone, Xbox, appletv, basically Anywhere with the Vudu app, also you can buy just the digital copies of movies from places like...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Some people buy the disc versions and sell off the digital codes, I buy all my movies as Digital codes for around $6-$10 a Movies which is a lot cheaper than Kaleidescape Store Prices, I only buy Disney, Fox and New Universal Movies directly from the K Store... buy those movies not being apart of Ultraviolet the movies do not port out to vudu and I can not buy cheaper codes to have them port in. Those 3 studios are exclusively are of Movies Anywhere so once Kaleidescape adds support for that they will port in and the ones you buy on K store will port out...

Liked others have stated, there is no rental option with K but if you want the best video and audio it’s the way to go, I can tell the difference compared to an appletv streaming....

Ah, so digital rights just relates to being able to watch the movies on portable devices. Ok. I have no use for that (never, ever watch movies that way).

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
You should look into buying the disc + digital version through Vudu, I did it for A Quiet Place and Rampage... You instantly get the UHD version to watch early which will port into Kaleidescape Store to download and receive the disc version in the mail on release date then you can keep disc and sell the digital copy for $8 so you end of paying around $19.00 for the movie...
I know this may not be popular with some folks, but it is behavior like this that makes the studios paranoid. The digital copy is a part of the license for the movie, it is not a separate license!

Bryan

3861 - 3880 of 6372 Posts