AVS Forum banner

3881 - 3900 of 6374 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
MAttHEATLifer, do you want K to stop supporting digital rights? Because that's a good way to do it.

If that's what you want to do, great. But please don't flaunt it around and encourage other people to do it. I imagine if you own a K system, you're a successful and intelligent person. You'd think that would be common sense to not talk about things like that. In order for K to succeed, they need the store to succeed.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
MAttHEATLifer, do you want K to stop supporting digital rights? Because that's a good way to do it.

If that's what you want to do, great. But please don't flaunt it around and encourage other people to do it. I imagine if you own a K system, you're a successful and intelligent person. You'd think that would be common sense to not talk about things like that. In order for K to succeed, they need the store to succeed.
Whilst I agree the promoting the somewhat grey market of UV codes is probably ill advised, Kal do not help themselves with this type of pricing policy:

. . . disk version of A Quiet Place will have TrueHD Atmos audio and a price of $24.99. The Kscape store's version of the film has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio and cost $36.99 . . .
Even outside of just purchasing UV slips, and even forgetting the differences in audio, who in their right mind (unless they are desperate to grab an early release) is going to pay 50% more for a digital only version of a film over its physical counterpart (if the latter comes with a digital code).

The physical disc (with digital rights) gives you the Kal download, a physical backup (should Kal ever go 'pop' again) for 2/3rds of the price.

Kal really need to look at their pricing policy if they want the store to be successful long term, and prices need to reflect the cost saving we all know exist in a digital delivery system over physical distribution.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Seems like K will plug all of these holes at some point. We all want them to succeed. They shouldn’t be competing with Amazon, VUDU, APPLE, etc. Those who purchased K I assume understood it to be a premium solution. SJ

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Seems like K will plug all of these holes at some point. We all want them to succeed. They shouldn’t be competing with Amazon, VUDU, APPLE, etc. Those who purchased K I assume understood it to be a premium solution. SJ
Like you, I continue to hold out hope that Kscape will be able to solve at least most of the problems that create inequities for its customers. I have already voted the Kscape ticket with my pocketbook so I just have to hope that I will end up getting my money's worth.

Reactions: ddsquire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like you, I continue to hold out hope that Kscape will be able to solve at least most of the problems that create inequities for its customers. I have already voted the Kscape ticket with my pocketbook so I just have to hope that I will end up getting my money's worth.
Lack of support for Dolby Vision is another problem. Many UHD discs now support full blown Dolby Cinema experience (Atmos+DV) for less than what K charges for basic HDR10 and no Atmos/DTS:X). That is not a premium offering. And the problem will only get worse as the technology improves, i.e. HDR10+. I sure hope K is working on filling these holes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lack of support for Dolby Vision is another problem. Many UHD discs now support full blown Dolby Cinema experience (Atmos+DV) for less than what K charges for basic HDR10 and no Atmos/DTS:X). That is not a premium offering. And the problem will only get worse as the technology improves, i.e. HDR10+. I sure hope K is working on filling these holes.

Come to think of it, why doesn't the Strato support DV? Dolby announced some time ago that DV support could be accomplished via a firmware upgrade. Any idea why K has not yet made this available?

·
Registered
32 Posts
K shouldn't be competing with inferior tech, but in many respect it is. Even discerning watchers would be hard pressed to distinguish between a DV stream on VUDU/ATV and an HDR10 flick on K. The quality on VUDU/ATV is that good. And the audio, though lossy, is caching up, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kal really need to look at their pricing policy if they want the store to be successful long term, and prices need to reflect the cost saving we all know exist in a digital delivery system over physical distribution.
I don't mind the premium pricing, but I want a premium product and service, i.e., early release, with the same or better quality as what's available on disc.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Can't be mad at that. Sounds like basic market forces at work. K wants to sell their products/services for as much as the market will support, and the customer wants to get the most for his money. The best companies are those that succeed at convincing the customer he is getting the latter, while successfully executing on the former. See, e.g., Apple, Amazon, etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Come to think of it, why doesn't the Strato support DV? Dolby announced some time ago that DV support could be accomplished via a firmware upgrade. Any idea why K has not yet made this available?

Kaleidescape has already said that DV would require hardware changes. They have been a little vague on whether hardware changes would be required for HDR10+.

It will be interesting to watch which format wins in the long run: DV Vs. HDR10+. It looks to me that DV is available sooner but that HDR10+ has the cost advantage due to no licensing fees.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Lack of support for Dolby Vision is another problem.
I don't think it has been much of an issue for many of us being that Kaleidescape's central role in the home has primarily been in dedicated theater rooms, most of which have consumer grade projectors, none of which have Dolby Vision as far as I am aware.

As to the HDR we've been enjoying thus far, I have no complaints! Looks pretty darn good to me. The Strato can look downright glorious on a good PJ/Screen. Don't get me wrong, if they threw in DV support for my TVs that would be great, but it's never been a high priority for me. Audio, however, has been my #1 item of interest. That and reliability, something which my internet has always been an issue. I've had two outages this week. No problem when spooling off my Terra server, though!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
A simple fix for people who purchase from another vendor is to charge a few $$ to download the movie IF you have digital rights. I would be more than willing to pay a small fee to download if I purchased the movie at a different vendor.

This gives Kscape some extra revenue to host the movie!

Lastly the delay on obtaining a relationship with Movies Anywhere is a MAJOR issue for them. The excuse that most have been providing that MA is focusing on bigger vendors is not cutting it anymore. MA has been out for months now and that is more than enough time to work out a deal!!

I for one cannot buy MA movies hoping that they will get their act together...

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
If my understanding is correct - what is K's incentive to go MA? because I don't think they have....I would love to be corrected...
Why would K go for Movies Anywhere? Would not that mean that K would have to provide a bunch of movie downloads to owners for free!!
For K - best is to keep the platform as close as possible so they can charge 40 dollars a movie which could be 20 dollars on disc on the street.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
A simple fix for people who purchase from another vendor is to charge a few $$ to download the movie IF you have digital rights. I would be more than willing to pay a small fee to download if I purchased the movie at a different vendor.

This gives Kscape some extra revenue to host the movie!

Lastly the delay on obtaining a relationship with Movies Anywhere is a MAJOR issue for them. The excuse that most have been providing that MA is focusing on bigger vendors is not cutting it anymore. MA has been out for months now and that is more than enough time to work out a deal!!

I for one cannot buy MA movies hoping that they will get their act together...
The bigger issue is that Movies Anywhere is only available in the US. A somewhat ironic contradiction in terms . . . I guess "Movies Only In One Country" didn't quite have the same ring to it! :D

·
Registered
159 Posts

I completely understand what you are saying but don’t agree with it at all...

For me personally buying a Kaleidescape Strato was a multi year effort of saving for it and I would not of purchased it without UV rights and future Movies Anywhere support... While I was able to save and purchase a Strato, my current financial situation does not allow me to purchase movies that cost anywhere from $19.99 for Universal Movies up to $36.99 for Warner Bros. movies each week when I can buy the codes for anywhere from $8.00-$12.00 a movie that is 2 to 3 movies for the price of one on the K Store...

I am not flaunting it I am just letting people know that they can purchase the movies for cheaper else where as I have chatting with many owners that are in my shoes as they could purchase a Strato but cannot pay 2x to 3x more for movies each week...

I want Kaleidescape to succeed and supported them by buying the product, just as many premiere owners did over the years before there was a Movie Store...

There is nothing wrong with talking about just buying the codes as there are entire forums dedicated to buying and felling them...

I currently just buy Disney and select Fox titles through the K store that I want to see in the best quality... I would be more than happy to purchase everything from the K store if they would match pricing to that of the discs, for example a few weeks ago Red Sparrow was on sale for $13.00 and included the disc and code, so that matched the version you get in the K Store...

I would love to see more sales at the K Store...

Movies Anywhere being added would greatly help someone like me who would like to have everything in the Strato but can afford it each week, I can buy every new fox movie a few weeks after release for $9.99 on iTunes compared to $29.99...

More power to everyone that can buy everything for the K Store I would if I had the money too each week, people just need to understand that for some people the only way to be apart of the amazing K experience is if I buy the movies elsewhere and have them port in...

·
Registered
159 Posts
If my understanding is correct - what is K's incentive to go MA? because I don't think they have....I would love to be corrected...
Why would K go for Movies Anywhere? Would not that mean that K would have to provide a bunch of movie downloads to owners for free!!
For K - best is to keep the platform as close as possible so they can charge 40 dollars a movie which could be 20 dollars on disc on the street.
Main reason is so that movies purchased at the K store will port out so you can view them mobile and also I share a vudu account with family so they would port there also....

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Main reason is so that movies purchased at the K store will port out so you can view them mobile and also I share a vudu account with family so they would port there also....
I agree. I have never hesitated to pay the Kscape store's inflated prices because it supports the company that supports my expensive Kscape system. All of that notwithstanding, these days I think twice about buying newly released movies from Kscape that don't come with digital rights. That's because, like you, I share a Vudu account with family members. Kscape has some work to do here.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
I just made a decision that serves to confirm how much Kscape is being hurt by the studios not giving it the same lossless immersive audio codecs, TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X MA, on the digital copies of their films they furnish to Kscape for sale and download as the disk versions will contain. I have stopped buying copies of newly released films from the Kscape store that don't have the same lossless immersive audio the disk versions have. Add to that the universal lack of UV rights and the avoidance of paying a premium price for an inferior product, it's an easy choice.

All of that notwithstanding, I bought the UHD HDR version of Ready Player One from the Kscape store this morning because it has (for a change) the same TrueHD Atmos soundtrack the disk version will contain. I paid a seven dollar premium over what Amazon will charge for the disk and didn't get digital rights but did get the film three weeks early. This serves to convince me that Kscape customers will happily pay a premium to buy a genuine copy of what is on the disk of a newly released film, even if they don't receive UV rights.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I just made a decision that serves to confirm how much Kscape is being hurt by the studios not giving it the same lossless immersive audio codecs, TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X MA, on the digital copies of their films they furnish to Kscape for sale and download as the disk versions will contain. I have stopped buying copies of newly released films from the Kscape store that don't have the same lossless immersive audio the disk versions have. Add to that the universal lack of UV rights and the avoidance of paying a premium price for an inferior product, it's an easy choice.

All of that notwithstanding, I bought the UHD HDR version of Ready Player One from the Kscape store this morning because it has (for a change) the same TrueHD Atmos soundtrack the disk version will contain. I paid a seven dollar premium over what Amazon will charge for the disk and didn't get digital rights but did get the film three weeks early. This serves to convince me that Kscape customers will happily pay a premium to buy a genuine copy of what is on the disk of a newly released film, even if they don't receive UV rights.
According to the K store website, this movie has the digital rights??? SJ

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
According to the K store website, this movie has the digital rights??? SJ
I just rechecked Kscape's page describing the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Ready Player One and it still shows, "Disk to Digital Not available." I have no idea why you are seeing something different?

3881 - 3900 of 6374 Posts