AVS Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 6372 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess that, even though you got a pop-up for MA, the fact that you initiated that through Vudu is why it worked for you, as Vudu is linked to both MA and UV. My current policy is to always use Vudu for redemption, exactly because of that. But, even with that, I think there are issues in redeeming UHD titles, depending upon whether or not Vudu has a UHD version. At least, I seem to recall reading that, as I haven't done it myself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I want to buy the Apollo 13 UHD HDR DTS:X MA disk from Amazon if, but only if, my digital rights to the film will include the UHD HDR quality version. I am going to pass on the HDR upgrade available from the Kscape store because it lacks lossless immersive audio. It has only DTS-HD MA 5.1. Can anybody tell me whether the Apollo 13 UHD HDR disk has UHD HDR UV digital rights? If so, would where I redeemed them make any difference? I am hoping that UV digital rights in UHD HDR quality might link to my Kscape library. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I redeemed Apollo 13 code on FandangoNow and it gave me 4k UV right and ported to Kaleidescape Store...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Many of you have asked about download speeds from the Kaleidescape Store. I have shared my own experience previously, but wanted to give an update on my experience since it seems download speeds are overall faster than they used to be...at least for me.

I live in the Western/Central Region of the US and have a full GIGABIT Fiber connection, which on the average measures 950+ Mbps down, 120 Mbps up and Latency of 2 ms when using speedtest.net bandwidth speed tests to a regional server. It is a reliable and stable connection. I also have a full duplex Gigabit home network, using wired CAT6A cables, patch panels, with compatible switches and routers. In other words, the Internet connection and network are very good and there are no weak points.

About a year ago, I spoke with Kaleidescape about why they have a setting for 300 Mbps downloads, but the most I ever got was 150 Mbps and only averaged around 100 Mbps. The "official" answer I got was that 150 Mbps was indeed their maximum speed. I wrote about that in this thread at that time.

In the past year, I have noticed higher download speeds and MUCH higher average download speeds. Last night, I made some room on my Strato before going to bed and loaded a bunch of the new HDR Versions of the Harry Potter Movies and a few others to get a good average. The first download should not be factored as I was still deleting content from the Strato, thus it was "in use". The second and all subsequent downloads were accurate measurements of download speeds from my location, using my network and Internet connection to the Kaleidescape Servers. Time and date stamps are shown in the attached image.

The best download speed I received was right at 200 Mbps and most downloads averaged close to 200 Mbps, until the last one at 9:47 AM my time.

I hope this post will help give some of you an idea of what download speeds are possible with Kaleidescape. Of course, your results may vary depending on many factors, including, but not limited to your Internet connection, home network and distance from Kaleidescape Servers.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since my Strato updated to kOS 10.3.1 my download speeds have increased significantly. Previously, I was getting 80-90Mbps. Since the upgrade I get 120-140Mbps with the last download coming in at 141.1. My 3U server is still getting 80-90Mbps. My ISP is capped at 150Mbps.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Interesting ... I was searching for Strato C current price and google search showed Bestbuy as option on very top . When I clicked it was on sale on Best Buy’s Magnolia site . I think it is good long term for survival of the company , if more than just custom installers start selling them

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
I am trying to switch one of my movies back to english, Dolby Atmos with no luck. I am using the iPad app. Is there any other method available, any tricks to force the titles audio selection. All other movies on the server are fine. Can I delete and re download a movie?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I am trying to switch one of my movies back to english, Dolby Atmos with no luck. I am using the iPad app. Is there any other method available, any tricks to force the titles audio selection. All other movies on the server are fine. Can I delete and re download a movie?

Thank you.
If you are using a Strato, just select it using the remote. Hit disc menu (while the movie is playing) and scroll over to audio, subtitles, etc. SJ

·
Registered
21,192 Posts
Reactions: ddsquire

·
Registered
207 Posts
The iPad app works for me. I usually use the “Info” button to change the audio/subtitles but the “Menu” button works also.

·
Registered
21,192 Posts
I bought the UHD HDR TrueHD atmos versions of all four films of The Hunger Games films as part of Kscape's any three or more titles of selected UHD HDR films for $14.99 per title. I watched The Hunger Games a couple of days ago and liked it well enough but was far from overwhelmed. It did look and sound wonderful, though.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which I watched this evening, thrilled me. 9 Stars out of 10. It looked great and had a reference quality Atmos soundtrack. It also did a great job of converting Suzanne Collins' fine novel to the screen. I hadn't seen this edition of the series for years so was surprised by (1) how few of the details of its plot I remembered and (2) how breathtakingly exciting it was. Highly recommended.

I'll get around to rewatching the final two films in the series but don't know when that will be. As I recall, neither is in a class with Catching Fire.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I watched The Hunger Games a couple of days ago and liked it well enough but was far from overwhelmed. It did look and sound wonderful, though.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which I watched this evening, thrilled me. 9 Stars out of 10. It looked great and had a reference quality Atmos soundtrack. It also did a great job of converting Suzanne Collins' fine novel to the screen. I hadn't seen this edition of the series for years so was surprised by (1) how few of the details of its plot I remembered and (2) how breathtakingly exciting it was. Highly recommended.
Your assessment is correct. When the first film came out, it was relatively low budget as they created the first one to see how it would do before moving on to make more. You can tell that they REALLY ramped up the budget for the next movie, nearly doubling it in fact. I remember a massive difference in overall production quality. I did enjoy the first one though, and absolutely LOVED Elizabeth Banks' and Stanley Tucci's performances in there. Lenny Kravitz was a fun touch too, even if it wasn't exactly Oscar winning material. Haha.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
21,192 Posts
All of Marvel's Avengers movies are now available in HDR and Dolby Atmos!

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/marvel_cinematic_universe
Thanks for the tip. Just now ordered Avengers: Infinity War from the Kscape store and it is being downloaded now. I'm still trying to decide about Age of Ultron but will likely buy it too. I have long had the BD of The Avengers so I'm going to skip paying $33.99 for the upgrade to UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos for that one for now. Tomorrow is another day, though, so who knows? Thanks again for the tip.

3921 - 3940 of 6372 Posts