AVS Forum banner

3941 - 3960 of 6468 Posts

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Speaking of TrueHD Atmos or the lack thereof, I was profoundly disappointed to discover that the UHD HDR version of Deadpool 2, which the Kscape store will be getting will have only 5.1 audio. The corresponding disk version, though, will have TrueHD Atmos audio and be $7.00 cheaper than the Kscape version in the bargain. Very frustrating but there it is. Needless to say, I will be buying this one from Amazon unless Kscape manages to come up with upgraded audio before I order. If Kscape had that, I would be happy to pay them a $7.00 premium to get it. Otherwise, no sale, though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Speaking of TrueHD Atmos or the lack thereof, I was profoundly disappointed to discover that the UHD HDR version of Deadpool 2, which the Kscape store will be getting will have only 5.1 audio. The corresponding disk version, though, will have TrueHD Atmos audio and be $7.00 cheaper than the Kscape version in the bargain. Very frustrating but there it is. Needless to say, I will be buying this one from Amazon unless Kscape manages to come up with upgraded audio before I order. If Kscape had that, I would be happy to pay them a $7.00 premium to get it. Otherwise, no sale, though.
Agree totally - what is frustrating is the list of titles is growing and few are receiving upgraded audio.

·
Registered
21,186 Posts
Reactions: baseball0618

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Which is exactly why I never went Kaleidescope and simply buy the [email protected]@@
It does so much brilliantly that I quickly forgive them for the missing elements.
Yeah, the Kscape system is wonderful, which makes not being able to get a film on it that has top of the line audio even more frustrating. I bought the original UHD HDR version of Deadpool on disk, too, because it has TrueHD Atmos audio whereas the Kscape version does not. The failure of too many studios to give Kscape the same immersive audio codecs that are on their disks is hurting the company terribly but still keeps happening.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Yeah, the Kscape system is wonderful, which makes not being able to get a film on it that has top of the line audio even more frustrating. I bought the original UHD HDR version of Deadpool on disk, too, because it has TrueHD Atmos audio whereas the Kscape version does not. The failure of too many studios to give Kscape the same immersive audio codecs that are on their disks is hurting the company terribly but still keeps happening.
I downloaded the K version. It’s really great upmixed and the 4K HDR video is superb. I guess it is the same conversation as normal on the customer’s priority. I’m really not sure we even represent the bulk of Ks customers or the number of folks who have Dolby Atmos systems to “hurt the company”? Don’t disagree that they should work with studios to improve! They have shown a lot of improvement over the last year. Ive read that Disney’s Atmos is more limited for higher end systems. Makes me wonder how many could pick out in a blind test? I’m just happy it is now completely integrated into my K library. I’m personally more annoyed at the lack of digital rights. SJ

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Ive read that Disney’s Atmos is more limited for higher end systems.
Yeah, I REALLY don't know what Disney's problem is on that one. For some inexplicable reason, Disney in their infinite wisdom has been doing some lower quality mixes lately. I know they're furiously at work trying to launch their own streaming service, but we all know what that entails. Think they're holding out so that 10 years from now, they can release the same movies' ultra super special editions on 8K Blu-Ray? I can picture the ad now. "Thor Ragnarok. Remastered and now with Lossless Audio!!!" Like they couldn't have given us a lossless track this whole time. Haha.

A shame since in the past, Disney's honestly done some really outstanding audio mixes before.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
I downloaded the K version. It’s really great upmixed and the 4K HDR video is superb. I guess it is the same conversation as normal on the customer’s priority. I’m really not sure we even represent the bulk of Ks customers or the number of folks who have Dolby Atmos systems to “hurt the company”? Don’t disagree that they should work with studios to improve! They have shown a lot of improvement over the last year. Ive read that Disney’s Atmos is more limited for higher end systems. Makes me wonder how many could pick out in a blind test? I’m just happy it is now completely integrated into my K library. I’m personally more annoyed at the lack of digital rights. SJ
Good point! Well designed audio is going to sound good, no matter what codec is used. I thought of that last night when I watched my UHD HDR DTS-HD MA 5.1 version of Red Sparrow on my Kscape system. I had preordered it from the Kscape store before I learned that the disk version would have TrueHD Atmos audio. The film has a well designed soundtrack, though, so when I upconverted it to 7,2,4 using the Dolby Surround upmixer, it sounded lovely. The native Atmos version is no doubt better but I'm not at all sure that the convenience of having this terrific film on my Kscape system isn't worth having a (slightly) inferior version of its audio.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Just keep in mind that there are almost 100 4K titles in the Kaleidescape store that are not available in 4K on disc. This doesn’t include the 4K SDR titles from Sony like “Lawrence do Arabia” which brings the total to ~150.

http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2988
That is a really fantastic point that I sometimes forget at times. Treated a customer to a screening of Lawrence of Arabia at my store once. It was one of their all time favorite movies and were of course blown away by the presentation. They asked how they could get that at home. I was like "This is it. Kaleidescape." Now it's available to rent to stream as well, but I certainly do not trust it to be as consistently superior as playing it straight off of the K equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I just realized something kind of huge today. We actually have access to quite a bit of Disney content that's been otherwise stuffed back into ye ole "Vault."
For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault Now compare that list to what's available on Blu-Ray. If you DO find them online, they seem to be at astronomical prices. Movies Anywhere has a few of them, but definitely not all. Over the years, I have collected many of these films on VHS, then DVD and Blu-Ray, but now I have most of them on Kaleidescape too. What I've come to realize is that my 2 year old has probably seen far more of the classics than most of his generation will ever get to thanks to the vault and your typical streaming license nonsense. I'm sure the upcoming Disney streaming service will bring back a bunch of the classics, but I also assume they'll come and go as Disney pleases. Can't take my copies away, though! Looks like a couple (not all) of them HAVE disappeared from the K store too, like the animated Jungle Book from 1967, but my copies still remain on my server. :cool:

Here's the current list of what's in the vault these days, the main ones at least, not the lame direct to home video sequels (except the Lion King 1-1/2; that was actually pretty good):

·
Registered
602 Posts
There is no notification system to tell us if a title in our collection has been updated. e.g. Star Wars: The Last Jedi didn’t have the soundtrack only version for a few weeks after the release. I had to find it.

The online store is the only location that tells me what HD/UHD/HDR titles have Atmos. I can’t see it on my system without playing a movie.

I had to have my strato running, made a new collection called “atmos” and had my web browser open with the atmos store collection and “owned” selected and added each title in my collection to an Atmos collection.

any easier way to make an immersive audio collection?

Thx.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
There is no notification system to tell us if a title in our collection has been updated. e.g. Star Wars: The Last Jedi didn’t have the soundtrack only version for a few weeks after the release. I had to find it.

The online store is the only location that tells me what HD/UHD/HDR titles have Atmos. I can’t see it on my system without playing a movie.

I had to have my strato running, made a new collection called “atmos” and had my web browser open with the atmos store collection and “owned” selected and added each title in my collection to an Atmos collection.

any easier way to make an immersive audio collection?

Thx.

If there is Bill, I've yet to find one.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
I was really hoping they would early release 2001 A Space Odyssey but no dice.:(
If the UHD HDR version of 2001 includes TrueHD Atmos audio, I will double dip. Otherwise, I'll stick with my 1080P copy. Frankly, I'm not very optimistic.

·
Registered
24,705 Posts
If the UHD HDR version of 2001 includes TrueHD Atmos audio, I will double dip. Otherwise, I'll stick with my 1080P copy. Frankly, I'm not very optimistic.

Chance of an Atmos mix is miniscule. I will be happy if the color timing is like films contemporary to 2001ASO and not the teal cancer we are seeing now and in the trailer.

3941 - 3960 of 6468 Posts