AVS Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 6374 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yes. The OSD in CinemaScape mode is 2.37:1. There are actually two (well three, but we'll only discuss the 2 main ones) different CinemaScape modes.

CinemaScape Anamorphic causes the video output (both the Onscreen display and movie playback) from the Strato/Alto to be output as a 16:9 vertically stretched image. You use this mode if your projector has an actual anamorphic lens (internal or external) that will always be in use.

CinemaScape Letterbox causes the video output to be a 16:9 letterboxed image (so on a 21:9 or 2.35:1 screen, the output would look "postage stamped" (i.e. black bars on all 4 sides). You then zoom the image using your projector's lens to fill your screen.

The third mode is a hybrid mode that will letterbox content that should be 2.35:1 but output the full frame for 16:9 content. This mode is used with projectors that can dynamically zoom and unzoom the video image based on the reported aspect ratios.

In all three modes, the Kaleidescape interface (including all menus and detail sheets, etc) is presented in an ultra-widescreen aspect ratio assuming that you have your display device set up correctly.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Which mode would you recommend for fixed scope screen, projector w no anamorphic lens..minimal zooming?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Which mode would you recommend for fixed scope screen, projector w no anamorphic lens..minimal zooming?
I have the same setup as what you described and use CinemaScape Native 2.35 Display, which is described as "use with native 2.35 projectors that scale letterboxed images to fill the screen (without using an anamorphic lens)".

All the views take full advantage of the scope screen: Covers (a.k.a. the movie wall), List, Collections, and Movie Store.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Saw this posted in other thread...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2992074-whata-s-new-cedia-2018-a-7.html#post56772806

Spent a lot of time at the K booth with a sharp tech guy. Regarding ATMOS not showing up on 4K HDR titles - Fox and Universal are still holdouts, but they are close to an agreement. There will be no 4K disc player - end of that discussion. Played around with a beta copy of an app for iPhone. Very sweet. Lots of much needed sorting options. Big fan of these guys. They care!

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
The UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo: A Star Wars Story is now available from the Kscape store for $33.99. Ordinarily I would not mind paying the price for the latest entry in a long running, successful, franchise. I hesitate in this case, though, because the TrueHD Atmos soundtracks on Disney movies have been uniformly disappointing. Would appreciate receiving insights from any of you who have downloaded and watched this title. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
The UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo: A Star Wars Story is now available from the Kscape store for $33.99. Ordinarily I would not mind paying the price for the latest entry in a long running, successful, franchise. I hesitate in this case, though, because the TrueHD Atmos soundtracks on Disney movies have been uniformly disappointing. Would appreciate receiving insights from any of you who have downloaded and watched this title. Thanks in advance!
Well I don't know first hand, but I do find what this guy said in his review encouraging:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/solo-a-star-wars-story-uhd
"Primary audio on the 4K disc is included in English Dolby Atmos, adapted from the theatrical mix. The reference level is set a little bit low, but the good news is that once you turn up the volume a bit, you’ve got a strong full range mix. This isn’t another of Disney’s typically audio-handicapped 4K releases. Bass is solid, with good reinforcement from the low end. It’s not as deep, thunderous, and punchy as some other 4K Atmos mixes, to be sure, but it should be noted that Solo’s theatrical mix wasn’t that way either. None of the new era Star Wars mixes have featured especially thunderous bass, so this is accurate to the theatrical experience. The soundstage is nicely big, wide, and constantly active, with smooth, accurate positioning and movement. The height channels kick in often, especially in set pieces, including the train heist, the battle on Kessel, and especially during the Kessel Run in the Falcon. John Williams’ new Han Solo theme sounds lovely, as does the rest of the score by John Powell"

I'm sure the version from the K store will be the same as what's on the Blu-Ray this time.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
^^^ @Montucky -- Thanks for your prompt response to my inquiry. That was useful information. I'm sorry the overall audio level appears to be lower than the norm but now think I will spring for the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo from the Kscape store. If I do, I will report my impressions.

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
The third mode is a hybrid mode that will letterbox content that should be 2.35:1 but output the full frame for 16:9 content. This mode is used with projectors that can dynamically zoom and unzoom the video image based on the reported aspect ratios.

I have a quick question. What does "reported aspect ratios" mean in this context ?

Art

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a quick question. What does "reported aspect ratios" mean in this context ?
When you play content on the Kaleidescape system, the control protocol emits a SCREEN_MASK (or CINEMASCAPE_MASK if in CinemaScape mode) message that external control systems can use to re-position masking systems (or zoom/unzoom projector images). One of the fields in this message reports the image ratio (e.g. "00" for "unknown", "01" for "1.33:1", "02" for "1.66:1", etc.

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
When you play content on the Kaleidescape system, the control protocol emits a SCREEN_MASK (or CINEMASCAPE_MASK if in CinemaScape mode) message that external control systems can use to re-position masking systems (or zoom/unzoom projector images). One of the fields in this message reports the image ratio (e.g. "00" for "unknown", "01" for "1.33:1", "02" for "1.66:1", etc.

I have a Premiere and Strato the listed ARs are too frequently incorrect. The word reported is what I wanted defined.

Art

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
K Did the right thing offering Scario 2 in ATMOS UHD HDR - I promptly pre ordered it and had it available on 14th September much before the disc will arrive.
Today it got populated into my VUDU account in UHD and in Movies Anywhere 4k..and in iTunes as 4K Vision.
If all K titles arrived - early release - ATMOS - crosss platform rights ... I would buy every title from K even though they are more expensive than a Disc..

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
K Did the right thing offering Scario 2 in ATMOS UHD HDR - I promptly pre ordered it and had it available on 14th September much before the disc will arrive.

Today it got populated into my VUDU account in UHD and in Movies Anywhere 4k..and in iTunes as 4K Vision.

If all K titles arrived - early release - ATMOS - crosss platform rights ... I would buy every title from K even though they are more expensive than a Disc..

Studio dependent and nothing in K’s control, but agree it’s nice to see the cross population of titles where digital rights exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Sicario: Day of the Soldado being included in the Vudu libraries of those of us who bought it from the Kscape store. I bought it yesterday, watched it last night, and loved every minute of it. It is about as dark and cynical as its possible for a movie to be but it is great fun. Better yet its UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos treatment make it look and sound great too.

Reactions: Applemike68

·
Registered
666 Posts
Studio dependent and nothing in K’s control, but agree it’s nice to see the cross population of titles where digital rights exist.

I think after apple bring the ATMOS to the apple tv 4k we will see a lot of title from the studio includes the immersive audio

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I think after apple bring the ATMOS to the apple tv 4k we will see a lot of title from the studio includes the immersive audio

Bear in mind that the Apple version will be lossy DD+ Atmos not the full fat TrueHD Atmos seen on discs and in the K store.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bear in mind that the Apple version will be lossy DD+ Atmos not the full fat TrueHD Atmos seen on discs and in the K store.

That’s for sure but I meant the studio digital division are the same so we expect more immersive audio content

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Sicario: Day of the Soldado being included in the Vudu libraries of those of us who bought it from the Kscape store. I bought it yesterday, watched it last night, and loved every minute of it. It is about as dark and cynical as its possible for a movie to be but it is great fun. Better yet its UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos treatment make it look and sound great too.
Bought it myself, although I'm yet to watch it. It was nice to see it priced at below a new 4K disc price instead of well over!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Can anyone comment on why some movies are listed as UHD and HDR while some say just HDR? Are there really 1080p HDR movies on Kaleidescape?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Can anyone comment on why some movies are listed as UHD and HDR while some say just HDR? Are there really 1080p HDR movies on Kaleidescape?
No - some titles are available in UHD (without HDR) and also HDR, those listed as just HDR, don't have a UHD only version. All are 4K titles.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Big Lebowski's in the store now. $15.99 for the 4K HDR version! Good move with the pricing, NBCUniversal. Now I'm in for an impulse buy. Haha.

3981 - 4000 of 6374 Posts