AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 6384 Posts

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
No DTS X no Buyeee
You beat me to it. As much as I love The Big Lebowski I think long and hard these days before buying a UHD HDR catalog title that doesn't also offer either a TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X immersive audiotrack. The Kscape price for The Big Lebowski upgrade is certainly fair, though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You beat me to it. As much as I love The Big Lebowski I think long and hard these days before buying a UHD HDR catalog title that doesn't also offer either a TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X immersive audiotrack. The Kscape price for The Big Lebowski upgrade is certainly fair, though.

Not sure if you guys are being sarcastic or not, but the 4K disc on Amazon has 5.1 DTS. I wouldn’t be surprised that they didn’t remaster the audio for the 4K release.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Not sure if you guys are being sarcastic or not, but the 4K disc on Amazon has 5.1 DTS. I wouldn’t be surprised that they didn’t remaster the audio for the 4K release.
According to Blu-ray.com the disc carries a DTS:X track.

Sadly it's typical of Universal (and possibly Fox) - that they aren't providing full assets to Kaleidescape by including immersive audio tracks.

Rumours coming out of CEDIA earlier this month suggested that both studios were close to a deal to provide immersive tracks for their titles.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
That's why I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic since I saw the same listing as you that only stated DTS-HD MA 5.1. I've now found some info on another site claiming DTS:X. That's cool, but Big Lebowski is one film where having X -or- standard 5.1 is not any sort of deal breaker for me. What IS appealing to me is that not only is the price right (cheaper than the BD by a few bucks), but it's already available for download whereas the disc isn't being released until October 16th. Normally I can be stickler about wanting X or Atmos, but I'm not for this particular movie.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Is their much difference in taking an old DTS 5.1 soundtrack and the studio remixing to DTS:X vs just using our own DTS Neural upmixing? I know we continue to have the same conversations lol, but I find the upmix pretty good on these older soundtracks. You all must have better hearing than me or better systems. Likely depends on what the studio did for the new soundtrack? Based on my discussions with K at CEDIA, they are working on this. Hopefully this will be resolved and we can move on.... SJ

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Is their much difference in taking an old DTS 5.1 soundtrack and the studio remixing to DTS:X vs just using our own DTS Neural upmixing? I know we continue to have the same conversations lol, but I find the upmix pretty good on these older soundtracks. You all must have better hearing than me or better systems. Likely depends on what the studio did for the new soundtrack? Based on my discussions with K at CEDIA, they are working on this. Hopefully this will be resolved and we can move on.... SJ
On the basis that there are very few DTS:X titles - particularly on K, it's difficult to say what the differences are. The few titles are mostly newer ones, but in general I find those that have either DTS:X or Atmos have far greater dynamism and the mix is far more detailed. I have never got along with either of the upmixing variants (DSU or NeuralX, or those prior to immersive audio) - they just don't provide me with that detailed sound, in fact I find them 'muffled and busy' with effects wrongly placed in many tracks. I much prefer listening in 'native' form, rather than engaging the 'pseudo sound' of DSU or NeuralX.

I think you are right that with all things, it very much depends on the studio/sound engineers what quality or improvement there is likely to be, but with my dislike of the upmixers, I would suggest that any re-mix would be an improvement - for me. YMMV

Would be nice for K to come through with this and then we could put this griipe to bed once and for all :):)

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
No discrimination here - I don't buy 4K UHD Discs which don't have immersive Audio...
Only exception has been the NOLAN Collection... just because these are my favorites.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
No discrimination here - I don't buy 4K UHD Discs which don't have immersive Audio...
Only exception has been the NOLAN Collection... just because these are my favorites.
Yep. I held my nose and bought the UHD HDR upgrades of Nolan's films from the Kscape store, despite their not having immersive audiotracks. I did so because DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio is the only game in town for Nolan films, because of his benighted (and infuriating) refusal to allow his audiotracks to be remixed for DTS:X or TrueHD Atmos. But enough of this talk, for this way lies madness.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the basis that there are very few DTS:X titles - particularly on K, it's difficult to say what the differences are. The few titles are mostly newer ones, but in general I find those that have either DTS:X or Atmos have far greater dynamism and the mix is far more detailed. I have never got along with either of the upmixing variants (DSU or NeuralX, or those prior to immersive audio) - they just don't provide me with that detailed sound, in fact I find them 'muffled and busy' with effects wrongly placed in many tracks. I much prefer listening in 'native' form, rather than engaging the 'pseudo sound' of DSU or NeuralX.

I think you are right that with all things, it very much depends on the studio/sound engineers what quality or improvement there is likely to be, but with my dislike of the upmixers, I would suggest that any re-mix would be an improvement - for me. YMMV

Would be nice for K to come through with this and then we could put this griipe to bed once and for all :):)
If anyone wants to compare DTS:X to Upmixed, there are titles in the store (mainly Universal but some Lionsgate titles also) where the HD version has DTS:X and the HDR/UHD version has DTS-HD MA 5.1 (F8, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, etc.). This is what I used to checkout the upmixing of my processor. It surprised me how good it was.

I still want to see immersive audio from Universal and Fox like we have on all of the other major studios.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Pulling the trigger for the next K upgrade Terra server 24 on the way 🤩

Congrats! I know it's a big investment, but trust me, once you have it, there is no going back. Haha. Thankfully I've been getting some longevity out of the 24 as it's been totally sufficient for my space needs for the time being and I have a fairly sizeable library. It'll (maybe) be at least a few more years until I have to step it up to the 40 or just toss another 24 into the mix. Love the flexibility of it all.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Congrats! I know it's a big investment, but trust me, once you have it, there is no going back. Haha. Thankfully I've been getting some longevity out of the 24 as it's been totally sufficient for my space needs for the time being and I have a fairly sizeable library. It'll (maybe) be at least a few more years until I have to step it up to the 40 or just toss another 24 into the mix. Love the flexibility of it all.

I was looking for the 40 but the price overseas are much than what in the US so The 24 is must coz my strato is overfull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Pulling the trigger for the next K upgrade Terra server 24 on the way 🤩
I was looking for the 40 but the price overseas are much than what in the US so The 24 is must coz my strato is overfull
@A7mad78 -- As @Montucky said, you won't be sorry you bought your Terra Server. I bought my 24 TB Terra in January and have loved it. Like you, my Strato ran out of storage, so I held my nose and sprung for the Terra.

Earlier this week I checked my Kscape system's history and discovered to my delight that I am getting download speeds of ~100 Mbps these days. With the Strato, I was lucky to get 40 Mbps. I can't explain the disparity but there it is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all, noob question here.
I have a large collection if uhd titles purchased through vudu. Thinking about getting a kscape. Will these port over or do I have to rebuy them all. If rebuy do I pay the full purchase price or is there an upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
@A7mad78 -- As @Montucky said, you won't be sorry you bought your Terra Server. I bought my 24 TB Terra in January and have loved it. Like you, my Strato ran out of storage, so I held my nose and sprung for the Terra.

Earlier this week I checked my Kscape system's history and discovered to my delight that I am getting download speeds of ~100 Mbps these days. With the Strato, I was lucky to get 40 Mbps. I can't explain the disparity but there it is.

Even with the luck of immersive sound from many title but when IN the K-system u can’t go back always looks to upgrade but the life is once so enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4001 - 4020 of 6384 Posts