AVS Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 6385 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hi all, noob question here.
I have a large collection if uhd titles purchased through vudu. Thinking about getting a kscape. Will these port over or do I have to rebuy them all. If rebuy do I pay the full purchase price or is there an upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Only those that have UltraViolet rights and if the version matches the one on the K site. Until or when K join Movies Anywhere other titles will have to be re-purchased. No upgrades for titles held on other systems.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I have had a strange development in recent days that I can't understand. After I added a Terra Server to my Strato last January, I had been enjoying download speeds, which averaged almost 100 Mbps. This situation obtained until I had Cox Communications provide a replacement modern for my 5 year old Cisco cable modem. According to a speed test I used with the new modem I was getting an effective download speed capability of nearly 150 Mbps.

After I installed the new modem last Tuesday, I bought and downloaded the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of the just released Ant Man and the Wasp. To my dismay, the download speed was glacially slow, averaging only 18 Mbps, the slowest by far I had seen since adding the Terra Server. There is good news after all, though.

Today I Bought the newly released UHD HDR Atmos quality version of Snitch. This downloaded at a speed of 145 Mbps, the highest I have seen yet. Can anybody suggest what might have caused this disparity? Don't get me wrong, anything from about 80 Mbps up will satisfy me but I still would like to figure out what happened.

Reactions: ddsquire

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had a strange development in recent days that I can't understand. After I added a Terra Server to my Strato last January, I had been enjoying download speeds, which averaged almost 100 Mbps. This situation obtained until I had Cox Communications provide a replacement modern for my 5 year old Cisco cable modem. According to a speed test I used with the new modem I was getting an effective download speed capability of nearly 150 Mbps.

After I installed the new modem last Tuesday, I bought and downloaded the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of the just released Ant Man and the Wasp. To my dismay, the download speed was glacially slow, averaging only 18 Mbps, the slowest by far I had seen since adding the Terra Server. There is good news after all, though.

Today I Bought the newly released UHD HDR Atmos quality version of Snitch. This downloaded at a speed of 145 Mbps, the highest I have seen yet. Can anybody suggest what might have caused this disparity? Don't get me wrong, anything from about 80 Mbps up will satisfy me but I still would like to figure out what happened.
I think K upgraded their side to increase speed. Many are rebased download speeds. I am also almost maxing out my connection speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Thanks for pointing this out. I had become increasingly frustrated with subpar download speeds from K despite my gigabit FiOS connection. Now I'm seeing download speeds close to 400Mbps. Being able to download a movie this quickly is a game changer for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Folks are claiming faster DL speeds from K on the owners forum too.

Reactions: ddsquire and gwsat

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any overseas owner that uses VPN? After trying with many VPN services I only can get around 12mps which is too slow to download 4k content.

Which VPN providers are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Ant Man and Wasp - Fantastic HDR and ATMOS from K Escape - the movie was so fun to watch.
I had to turn up the volume 4 db more than my normal viewing... and it was perfect.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Ant Man and Wasp - Fantastic HDR and ATMOS from K Escape - the movie was so fun to watch.
I had to turn up the volume 4 db more than my normal viewing... and it was perfect.
Yeah I liked Ant Man and Wasp too. Like you, I had to crank up the volume on my receiver several dB to get it satisfactorily loud.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A few things I noticed since l installed my player last week and downloaded a few titles that I also have on disc:

- Ready Player One 4K HDR looks very different from the Warner disc, in fact my Lumagen list it at 4800 nits!!! Worst looking than the disc. There where many Demo boths at Cedia that played this version and I thought then that I looked washed out compared to my set up at home.
- Deadpool is another title. The Fox disc hits around 1100 nits and on the K is over 4000. Prefered the disc.
- Mad Max only hits around 4000 nits and I preffer this version than the Warner discs.
- Other titles mastered around 1000 nits such as: Avengers Inifinity War, Lucy, Antman look stunning!!!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
A few things I noticed since l installed my player last week and downloaded a few titles that I also have on disc:

- Ready Player One 4K HDR looks very different from the Warner disc, in fact my Lumagen list it at 4800 nits!!! Worst looking than the disc. There where many Demo boths at Cedia that played this version and I thought then that I looked washed out compared to my set up at home.
- Deadpool is another title. The Fox disc hits around 1100 nits and on the K is over 4000. Prefered the disc.
- Mad Max only hits around 4000 nits and I preffer this version than the Warner discs.
- Other titles mastered around 1000 nits such as: Avengers Inifinity War, Lucy, Antman look stunning!!!
Many of the Kaleidescape HDR titles have the incorrect metadata, so don't work well with a tone mapping system that relies on the MaxCLL metadata.

It will hopefully be a moot point in a few months once the Lumagen Intensity Mapping reaches its next stage of evolution, so hang in there ;)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I'm nearing the limit of my Terra Server and so I decided to review what I have downloaded...

When looking at the movie list, I see on quite a few titles I have "Multiple" versions. I have figured out that I can remove some of the versions I do not use to conserve some disk space. It appears that I have been downloading 4K and HD versions...

I do have couple of questions re: Some titles have 4K Ultra HD vs 4K HDR...

1. Which has the best viewing format? And should I be selecting one vs the other.
2. Is one larger in size vs the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm nearing the limit of my Terra Server and so I decided to review what I have downloaded...

When looking at the movie list, I see on quite a few titles I have "Multiple" versions. I have figured out that I can remove some of the versions I do not use to conserve some disk space. It appears that I have been downloading 4K and HD versions...

I do have couple of questions re: Some titles have 4K Ultra HD vs 4K HDR...

1. Which has the best viewing format? And should I be selecting one vs the other.
2. Is one larger in size vs the other?

Thanks
4K Ultra HD does not include HDR, so I would download the 4K HDR version. 4K HDR is the best format and larger in size than 4K Ultra HD. Note that some of the HD (Blu-ray) versions often contain bonus content, so be mindful of that when you decide which version to delete.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I see that the UHD HDR version of Mama Mia! Here We Go Again available from the Kscape store has only DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, although the disk version has TrueHD Atmos audio. Sigh, what else is new? Oh well, this failing saves me $15.99. I won't be buying the disk version either because Amazon's price to preorder it is $26.96. (Yikes!) If the movie had been just a little better I would have bought the disk but in this case, it's just meant not to be.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I see that the UHD HDR version of Mama Mia! Here We Go Again available from the Kscape store has only DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, although the disk version has TrueHD Atmos audio. Sigh, what else is new? Oh well, this failing saves me $15.99. I won't be buying the disk version either because Amazon's price to preorder it is $26.96. (Yikes!) If the movie had been just a little better I would have bought the disk but in this case, it's just meant not to be.
I Bought the VUDU Disc and Digital... same cost as Amazon and includes the Streaming rights HDR 10 DV and Atmos as of today - this disc is Dolby Vision another reason not to buy from K.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I Bought the VUDU Disc and Digital... same cost as Amazon and includes the Streaming rights HDR 10 DV and Atmos as of today - this disc is Dolby Vision another reason not to buy from K.
Because Vudu is a streaming service, its Atmos enabled films have only the lossy version of Atmos, rather than TrueHD Atmos, which is lossless. That makes it a nonstarter for me. My display, a Sony 940D, isn't DV capable so the absence of DV video from Kscape's offerings doesn't hurt me.

4021 - 4040 of 6385 Posts