AVS Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 6372 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm nearing the limit of my Terra Server and so I decided to review what I have downloaded...

When looking at the movie list, I see on quite a few titles I have "Multiple" versions. I have figured out that I can remove some of the versions I do not use to conserve some disk space. It appears that I have been downloading 4K and HD versions...

I do have couple of questions re: Some titles have 4K Ultra HD vs 4K HDR...

1. Which has the best viewing format? And should I be selecting one vs the other.

2. Is one larger in size vs the other?

Thanks

1. HDR for UHDTV (1000nits capable), UHD for projector, if you have a JVC 4500 or Sony 885/995ES or better use a lumagen and the HDR release.

2. Kaleidescape masters the file for their hardware, with studio approval— as far as I know, and it’s just different versions. It’s not just a “flag”

·
Registered
602 Posts
Simple rubric for purchases:
UV= Ultraviolet
MA= Movies Anywhere

- Movie is UV licensed? Get the Vudu title or Disc code.
- Movies is only MA licensed? Buy the movie from Kaleidescape Movie Store.
- Movie is not UV or MA licensed? buy the movie from Kaleidescape Movie Store.
- Movie is not on the Kaleidescape Movie Store? buy at least one DV700.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Did quite a bit of library maintenance today and redownloaded some movies...

Here is a screen shot of the speed. WOW when people said they updated their service to offer better speeds it is now off the charts!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Correct if i am wrong, but isnt the VPN only required to access the K-Scape Store? Once purchase is made via vpn the Strato does not require a VPN connection to download? Possibly this where the bottleneck is on the download speed.

Yes - that is correct.

I leave VPN in place throughout as I find it saturates my download capability anyway. I'm getting really pissed reading of some of the guys on here and Kscape Owners forum who are getting 400-500 Mbps - some of us are lucky to get 37 Mbps on a good day - damn you BT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes - that is correct.

I leave VPN in place throughout as I find it saturates my download capability anyway. I'm getting really pissed reading of some of the guys on here and Kscape Owners forum who are getting 400-500 Mbps - some of us are lucky to get 37 Mbps on a good day - damn you BT.

Ouch that is kinda slow! Not too sure if Kscape allows port forwarding that could be done on router side. Havent personally gone that route for Kscape. Maybe other forumites might be able to chime in on this.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Ouch that is kinda slow! Not too sure if Kscape allows port forwarding that could be done on router side. Havent personally gone that route for Kscape. Maybe other forumites might be able to chime in on this.

No need for port forwarding for me anyway - that is my max download speed, as things stand at the moment. Hopeful that either FTTP or Virgin Cable will be become available in the near future which will offer dramatically increased speeds.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
For the UK its actually kinda fast! The vast majority of the population on standard copper broadband live with less than 5Mbps. The fastest service I can get is 78Mbps on fibre, I actually get about 68Mbps in reality, and that is considered really fast.

400-500Mbps is the thing of dreams in the UK and is the preserve of business users paying £2,000 a month for leased lines!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
A few things I noticed since l installed my player last week and downloaded a few titles that I also have on disc:

- Ready Player One 4K HDR looks very different from the Warner disc, in fact my Lumagen list it at 4800 nits!!! Worst looking than the disc. There where many Demo boths at Cedia that played this version and I thought then that I looked washed out compared to my set up at home.
- Deadpool is another title. The Fox disc hits around 1100 nits and on the K is over 4000. Prefered the disc.
- Mad Max only hits around 4000 nits and I preffer this version than the Warner discs.
- Other titles mastered around 1000 nits such as: Avengers Inifinity War, Lucy, Antman look stunning!!!
If you have a Lumagen there is a work around. Press MENU0533 and when the OSD comes up select OFF instead of Auto and change the MaxCLL to the value you know it should be. So if you have Ready Player One UHD disc, find out what the MaxCLL should be and then input that for KScape playback. It is tedius, but at least you have an option. Be sure to turn it back to Auto later though. I know some that have turned this off and set it to 1000 nits and just save it and leave it there for all titles, but I would not suggest that.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
This is a followup report to confirm that I am indeed getting downloads from the Kscape store, which are at or near the 150 Mbps speeds I pay my provider, Cox Communications, for. I bought the HD quality version of The Right Stuff, a 3 hour 13 minute movie, earlier this morning. It downloaded in 43 minutes with an average download speed of over 140 Mbps. Needless to say, I continue to be pleased.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have a Lumagen there is a work around. Press MENU0533 and when the OSD comes up select OFF instead of Auto and change the MaxCLL to the value you know it should be. So if you have Ready Player One UHD disc, find out what the MaxCLL should be and then input that for KScape playback. It is tedius, but at least you have an option. Be sure to turn it back to Auto later though. I know some that have turned this off and set it to 1000 nits and just save it and leave it there for all titles, but I would not suggest that.
Thanks you Kris. I new that code from the Lumagen threat and tried it. Why does K list some titles with incorrect metada?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Thanks you Kris. I new that code from the Lumagen threat and tried it. Why does K list some titles with incorrect metada?
To be frank, the studios haven't pulled their head out of their behinds on this yet. It isn't K-Scapes fault at all, they only have what is provided.

You see different metadata on nearly every provider, despite using the same grades. For example, Fox titles are all 1000 nits on disc, but if you look at the HDR10 streams on ATV4K, they are completely different levels despite using the same HDR grade. This is par for the course it seems and extremely frustrating because devices that use that metadata are at the mercy of correct data. The Radiance is the only device I'm aware of that will let you change this manually, which helps a lot for titles that you absolutely know are wrong (especially if you actually know the right number!).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
To be frank, the studios haven't pulled their head out of their behinds on this yet. It isn't K-Scapes fault at all, they only have what is provided.

You see different metadata on nearly every provider, despite using the same grades. For example, Fox titles are all 1000 nits on disc, but if you look at the HDR10 streams on ATV4K, they are completely different levels despite using the same HDR grade. This is par for the course it seems and extremely frustrating because devices that use that metadata are at the mercy of correct data. The Radiance is the only device I'm aware of that will let you change this manually, which helps a lot for titles that you absolutely know are wrong (especially if you actually know the right number!).

Kris - is there a reference where these details are available?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Kris - is there a reference where these details are available?
Unfortunately no. There are some random lists around that provide some title data, but I'm not aware of a master list that is maintained anywhere unfortunately.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Any overseas owner that uses VPN? After trying with many VPN services I only can get around 12mps which is too slow to download 4k content.

Which VPN providers are you guys using?
Prefer using a DNS service as I want to have instant access to the US Netflix, US Prime, Vudu, Hulu, etc etc from all devices at home.

I am using https://vipdnsclub.com and I have the annual VIP membership. This membership supports 3 different IPs simultaneously so I also use it when I travel or in other homes without impact on my main residence's access.
Works flawlessly and I have no issue with speed. Since K's upgrade I've getting 120-130mbps with a 250Mbs connection in Switzerland. Used to download at around 48mbps before that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I see that the UHD HDR version of Mama Mia! Here We Go Again available from the Kscape store has only DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, although the disk version has TrueHD Atmos audio. Sigh, what else is new? Oh well, this failing saves me $15.99. I won't be buying the disk version either because Amazon's price to preorder it is $26.96. (Yikes!) If the movie had been just a little better I would have bought the disk but in this case, it's just meant not to be.
We've discussed this so many times in the past and we are all aware of this problem. Definitely don't like it and just hope that K will come up with a solution soon. I must admit though that my Trinnov Altitude does miracles with the DSU so it's less of an issue for me personally.
With regards to Mamma Mia, I bought the HDR movie but I also downloaded the HD version that has the Atmos soundtrack and I watched it together with my daughter last night. Loved it and I highly recommend it. And honestly after comparing it with the HDR version immediately after there was no significant difference in the image quality. If you like ABBA's music and want to spend a pleasant evening it's worth the $20..... even in HD.....(my opinion).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Prefer using a DNS service as I want to have instant access to the US Netflix, US Prime, Vudu, Hulu, etc etc from all devices at home.

I am using https://vipdnsclub.com and I have the annual VIP membership. This membership supports 3 different IPs simultaneously so I also use it when I travel or in other homes without impact on my main residence's access.
Works flawlessly and I have no issue with speed. Since K's upgrade I've getting 120-130mbps with a 250Mbs connection in Switzerland. Used to download at around 48mbps before that.
Sounds good, but it appears is maxed out. I applied for the VIP membership and they placed on waiting list.

At the moment, I'm buying titles from the store on my PC or Ipad and downloading over 80mbps. The only thing missing is the store from the player which is kind of cool to have.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Did quite a bit of library maintenance today and redownloaded some movies...

Here is a screen shot of the speed. WOW when people said they updated their service to offer better speeds it is now off the charts!!
I have also noticed a big change in October . I have Cox gigabit internet and I used to get 200-220 Mbps and this month it seems to be between 500-600 Mbps .... super exciting . It is almost instantaneous now .... . I can start watching a movie in 15 minutes of deciding on what I want to watch .

Attachments

4041 - 4060 of 6372 Posts