AVS Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 6374 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
We've discussed this so many times in the past and we are all aware of this problem. Definitely don't like it and just hope that K will come up with a solution soon. I must admit though that my Trinnov Altitude does miracles with the DSU so it's less of an issue for me personally.
With regards to Mamma Mia, I bought the HDR movie but I also downloaded the HD version that has the Atmos soundtrack and I watched it together with my daughter last night. Loved it and I highly recommend it. And honestly after comparing it with the HDR version immediately after there was no significant difference in the image quality. If you like ABBA's music and want to spend a pleasant evening it's worth the $20..... even in HD.....(my opinion).
Sound was great on both versions. Wonder if folks could actually pick out the Atmos with a blind test... I doubt I could. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Did quite a bit of library maintenance today and redownloaded some movies...

Here is a screen shot of the speed. WOW when people said they updated their service to offer better speeds it is now off the charts!!
I have also noticed a big change in October . I have Cox gigabit internet and I used to get 200-220 Mbps and this month it seems to be between 500-600 Mbps .... super exciting . It is almost instantaneous now .... . I can start watching a movie in 15 minutes of deciding on what I want to watch .
Got avg speed of 620 Mbps this AM . These speeds are for terra server to be clear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I have also noticed a big change in October . I have Cox gigabit internet and I used to get 200-220 Mbps and this month it seems to be between 500-600 Mbps .... super exciting . It is almost instantaneous now .... . I can start watching a movie in 15 minutes of deciding on what I want to watch .
Holy smokes!!! If I was watching Netflix, my movie wouldn't even be done catching up on the buffering by then. Haha. Those are some mighty impressive download speeds.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am going to take a pass on the Kscape store's UHD HDR quality version of The War of the Worlds. Its price, $34.99, would be extortionate for a catalog title even if it had TrueHD Atmos audio and came with digital rights. Alas, this release lacks both. Thanks but no thanks.

My decision to pass on this one was buttressed because I have the HD disk, which looks great and its DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio is excellent. Also, I paid Amazon $9.99 for it. What's wrong with this picture?

Different version - the K version is the 1953 release, not the Tom Cruise re-make.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Different version - the K version is the 1953 release, not the Tom Cruise re-make.
D'oh, right you are! I misread Kscape's info page, so never mind. Previous post deleted. I promise to try to do better.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Reactions: gwsat

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
True on all counts, except digital rights. :(
Bummer, but for that price I'm willing to give them a pass on this one. Sub-$20 for a brand new movie with 4K HDR and Atmos is a great price.

Actually, I dove further into the Lionsgate section, and I don't know if they have a special sale or something going on, but I'm seeing great deals across the board, many of which actually do come with digital rights!!! Time to punish the ol' wallet again. Haha.
https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/lionsgate
Take a look!

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
D'oh, right you are! I misread Kscape's info page, so never mind. Previous post deleted. I promise to try to do better.
Spy who dumped me - right price right audio right video - way to go K
True on all counts, except digital rights. :(
Bummer, but for that price I'm willing to give them a pass on this one. Sub-$20 for a brand new movie with 4K HDR and Atmos is a great price.

Actually, I dove further into the Lionsgate section, and I don't know if they have a special sale or something going on, but I'm seeing great deals across the board, many of which actually do come with digital rights!!! Time to punish the ol' wallet again. Haha.
https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/lionsgate
Take a look!
But for this discussion, I would have missed entirely the availability of the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos quality version of The Spy Who Dumped Me at the Kscape store. I checked it out at RottenTomatoes and found a mostly positive review from the usually very hard nosed Time movie Critic, Stephanie Zacharek. This tipped me over the line, so I bought it. Time will tell how it works out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, I have to say that after watching and comparing over 15 films on the Straro, I'm more than impressed by the quality of the picture and sound this equipment produces. I did some comparisons with my Oppo 205 of the same films going back and forward, and at times, I preferred the Straro. I swear blacks are deeper on the Straro than the Oppo. Soundwise, couldn't notice any significant differences playing Atmos and lossless tracks.

So far I'm addicted to the Straro and feel like I a sucker for buying the same movies again, but what the heck, I needed to convince my self.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
But for this discussion, I would have missed entirely the availability of the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos quality version of The Spy Who Dumped Me at the Kscape store. I checked it out at RottenTomatoes and found a mostly positive review from the usually very hard nosed Time movie Critic, Stephanie Zacharek. This tipped me over the line, so I bought it. Time will tell how it works out.
I watched this movie - fantastic video and audio - movie is a good popcorn flick kept be engrossed...
Strato HDR and ATMOS shining...

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
I watched this movie - fantastic video and audio - movie is a good popcorn flick kept be engrossed...
Strato HDR and ATMOS shining...
I downloaded The Spy Who Dumped Me yesterday afternoon, watched it last night, and loved every minute of it. As you said, it is just a popcorn flick but the charm and comedy talent of Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon made it a delight for me. Sam Heughan (Jamie Fraser on Outlander) also did a good job. The movie is shameless but provided me at least a lot of loud, dumb, over the top, fun. I plan to watch it again soon.

Reactions: Montucky

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
OK, downloading this movie now! SJ
If you like young women who are attractive and funny, you won't be disappointed. Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had no intention of buying it, but thanks to all your comments I did and it's now downloading(294mbps from Switzerland !!!), I'll watch tonight!

4061 - 4080 of 6374 Posts