AVS Forum banner

5801 - 5820 of 6446 Posts

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
I loved the Scenes function. And the feel of the interface (though the screen wall was cool, but close to useless),

What would bring me back! 100% studios on board; All movies with appropriate sound track; reduced hardware pricing (server pricing is a joke); lower movie pricing; highly discounted pricing on movies I already own; be fully open and transparent and much
more frequent on client communication. I would need all of these in place to return
You got no chance! :D

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I loved the Scenes function. And the feel of the interface (though the screen wall was cool, but close to useless),

What would bring me back! 100% studios on board; All movies with appropriate sound track; reduced hardware pricing (server pricing is a joke); lower movie pricing; highly discounted pricing on movies I already own; be fully open and transparent and much
more frequent on client communication. I would need all of these in place to return
On that basis, I reckon we'll never see you with a K set-up again ;). You might get 2 of those (Immersive audio, perhaps improved communication)

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts

Thanks. I would presume that content quality is also a factor since your alternative to Kaleidescape has been pursuing DIY ripping and not streaming?

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Thanks. I would presume that content quality is also a factor since your alternative to Kaleidescape has been pursuing DIY ripping and not streaming?
That would be a fair assumption. The reason I bought the K system initially was for the interface, and that both the audio and video were at least as good as what was available on shiny disc AND I could be 100% disc-less - and I was (I used the DV700 for my existing library). 4K blew that up.

My current method has been to rip every movie I have and it works just fine (for me). It takes between 25 minutes to an hour to rip one, depending on BluRay or 4K. The interface is more than adequate (and my screen wall options are far better than the Kaleidescape options). The hardware costs are a small fraction of the K system. The only real downside would be if my entire server crashed - which would mean I would have to go back to ground zero. I have actively considered getting another server to backup mine and store it off site for that very reason (as I have done with all of my ripped music).

And the above is why I would need all of the features and functions I outlined previously to be available.

Where most of my requirements might go out the window would be if shiny discs were no longer available and streaming (and Kaleidescape) were my only other options. My concern along those same lines, however, is if the studios go streaming only, why would they want to support tiny Kaleidescape? Additionally, if the streaming companies (Apple, Netflix, Amazon or the industry or studios) can address the streamed audio quality (I find no real significant issues with streamed video), I would dump my NAS and permanently give up the idea of a K system. Unfortunately, given the primary streaming users methods of watching movies (a sound bar and flat screen), there is close to zero reasons for anyone to peruse improved streamed audio.

I also recognize that my method is not for the masses. It works for me but most folks wouldn't go through the initial hassle nor even the ongoing process. And THAT is where Kaleidescape could be a much bigger player if that can positively respond to some of the features/functions/requests that have been posted. I, for one, hope they do. I love it when my calibration clients have K systems as it makes checking out various movie scenes a breeze.

·
Registered
86 Posts
...The interface is more than adequate (and my screen wall options are far better than the Kaleidescape options).
Just curious - which interface do you use now?

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Just curious - which interface do you use now?
I run Plex on my Server and a Plex Cient on m Nvidia Shield. The screen wall that I choose to display is made up of movies based upon my folder structure: All Movies; 4K Movies; BluRay Movies; Concert Videos; Next Up - New Movies; Next Up - Old Movies. Plex offers some which I don't use like Recently Added; Continue Watching. I can select a movie cover to see the movie info (length, audio quality or video quality, etc) watch trailers, etc.

I also run Plex on my downstairs TV so have the same capabilities there as well as on any computer, iPad, iPhone, etc. And can do so remotely if I choose.

It works for me but the ripping process is not for the faint of heart. One of the many beauties of the K system: plug n play!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run Plex on my Server and a Plex Cient on m Nvidia Shield
Ahh yes I know it well, that's been my platform for over a decade.

Have to admit i'd likely go with Kaleidescape if the hardware was lower priced and I felt the platform was financially stable.

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Ahh yes I know it well, that's been my platform for over a decade.

Have to admit i'd likely go with Kaleidescape if the hardware was lower priced and I felt the platform was financially stable.
Given alternatives to viewing movies, and now a completely tanked economy, their survival most certainly should be on anyone's mind as they consider buying into the K ecosystem.

But, like you, if they could get my version of their act together, I would go with them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I run Plex on my Server and a Plex Cient on m Nvidia Shield. The screen wall that I choose to display is made up of movies based upon my folder structure: All Movies; 4K Movies; BluRay Movies; Concert Videos; Next Up - New Movies; Next Up - Old Movies. Plex offers some which I don't use like Recently Added; Continue Watching. I can select a movie cover to see the movie info (length, audio quality or video quality, etc) watch trailers, etc.
The Kaleidescape UI has it's virtues too, but one of the things that does a lot of these same things within it is the Collections feature. I plan to start leveraging Collections more personally in my Kaleidescape use. I also have a lot of ideas around Collections and the movie wall itself I plan to suggest.

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
I just added a new (eg lightly used) KScape 6TB to my OLED in my family room and holy crap!! The picture is amazing. I get the little HDR flag lighting up on my tv and the colors and blacks are off the chart. Just shockingly good. My OLED has always looked amazing but this is a new level.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I was trying to fire another salvo at Movies Anywhere to raise awareness about Kaleidescape some more. I feel it's worth doing every now and again. This time, I was thinking to try their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MoviesAnywhere/

I made a post on it today and cross posted to the Kaleidescape Users Group on Facebook. A few people from the users group have liked my post and made a couple of their own. I suggest people from here take a few minutes, visit the MA FB site, and post/like posts/comment to show your support.

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
I just added a new (eg lightly used) KScape 6TB to my OLED in my family room and holy crap!! The picture is amazing. I get the little HDR flag lighting up on my tv and the colors and blacks are off the chart. Just shockingly good. My OLED has always looked amazing but this is a new level.
Yeah, we have one on our Sony OLED also in our family room and it’s amazing. You will get a lot more K use with a second zone. No hunting for discs! SJ

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was trying to fire another salvo at Movies Anywhere to raise awareness about Kaleidescape some more. I feel it's worth doing every now and again. This time, I was thinking to try their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MoviesAnywhere/

I made a post on it today and cross posted to the Kaleidescape Users Group on Facebook. A few people from the users group have liked my post and made a couple of their own. I suggest people from here take a few minutes, visit the MA FB site, and post/like posts/comment to show your support.
Great idea! I looked for your post and could not find it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

What OLED do you have ? I’m looking for a 75” for family room..

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Reactions: Aareses

·
Registered
26,819 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Given alternatives to viewing movies, and now a completely tanked economy, their survival most certainly should be on anyone's mind as they consider buying into the K ecosystem.

But, like you, if they could get my version of their act together, I would go with them as well.
I don't get the impression that KScape has mass market in mind. Their products are geared towards a different target customer-base who may not be affected in a discernible way due to economic swings although, admittedly, they've had difficulty in the past to remain in business even with this model. The present crisis may have actually gained them new customers or at least, strengthened their customer relations.

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
I agree. This virus has changed my viewing habits significantly. Ive watched more movies in the last few weeks than the last few months. If anything, this should help them build a base as few of us will be venturing out soon and reintegration back into our normal lives will be a slow process... Home movies are a great option these days.

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
I don't get the impression that KScape has mass market in mind. Their products are geared towards a different target customer-base who may not be affected in a discernible way due to economic swings although, admittedly, they've had difficulty in the past to remain in business even with this model. The present crisis may have actually gained them new customers or at least, strengthened their customer relations.
I don't think they have mass market in mind either (that's AppleTV territory) but I'm sure they need to grow their revenue stream and new customers are a way to get that. I doubt that their existing customer buying additional movies is all they need to stay afloat.

I'm no economist, but there are a LOT of businesses who are being very negatively impacted by this economic disaster we are in that have not been so impacted in previous recessions. The cardiologist I see (who not longer does surgeries) is REALLY struggling (no one wants to go into his office) and I can assure you he was in the income class who could easily afford a K system if he were so inclined. Other business owners are as well (small and large). The smart ones (not necessarily the mega--rich ones) will most assuredly evaluate their spending priorities for quite some time. While I am not suggesting K will fold any time soon, but I would be massively surprised if they are not in for a serious struggle for the next 18 to 24 months.

5801 - 5820 of 6446 Posts